Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorierubio

Advice for front yard patio.

3 months ago

Hi Houzz friends!
We are removing the water feature and rocks and would like to create a space to sit with friends while keeping some of the ground cover along edges. We live in Colorado and get all four seasons -10 to 105 degrees is about the annual range when considering landscaping.

We are very open and appreciate any ideas! Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    3 months ago

I think I need a bit more info. This is the front of the house so not a usaul place for entertaining friends since most like a bit of privacy for that function . What you have now is just a mess so yes to removal of all of that for sure. I need to see the whole front of the house for sure. Is this the only entertining space outdoors? Right now IMO a really nice flower bed would be a better use of the space so I will wait for the info.

• 3 months ago

I appreciate your initial feedback. Here is a look at the entire front of house. We do have a private area in back for entertaining. Since there isn’t much space on our front patio to sit, we thought it would be nice to use a bit of that space to expand, however, not married to the idea and appreciate other suggestions to beautify the space!

• 3 months ago

I think it could be possible you can reuse some of the stone from the water feature to help create a stable surface for furniture. So you could pull the water system, do a good job with a firm fill, and top off with a stable surface. If it's legal not to have the railing, you could remove it and create a step down into that seating area from the porch. Use plantings and lights to edge that square and create the parts people don't walk through.

I noticed you have a couple chairs on the porch. Do you want more shaded seating below? Maybe put in a swing bench with an awning overlooking the yard. Or if you want more sun, skip a shade and put out some nice table and chair action. Either way, either blend that with your current seating, or replace the current to match when you get new stuff.

• PRO
  • 3 months ago

Do you ever sit on the chairs on the porch now? If that's not a space you currently use, do you think you would actually use a seating area in the front - especially when you have entertaining space in the back?

I think chairs by the entry are warm and inviting (even if they are only for show) - but your chairs behind the railing feel more isolating than welcoming.

I agree that the water feature is a mess (the random rocks are not attractive). Appropriate plantings could make the water feature beautiful. I don't know how interested you are in gardening - you have enough space for a lovely garden, with plants chosen for the type of soil and amount of sun.

• 3 months ago

@beesneeds - Thank you. I love the idea of removing the railing, creating a step down and plants/lights. Thanks!

• 3 months ago

@celery - LOVE the rendering - my husband plans to re-pour the sidewalk so adding a path may be a great idea, and I love the plants, rocks and color in your image. Thank you for the inspiration. Thinking of adding an ornamental (small) tree.

• 3 months ago

@AnnKH - I agree about the chairs and railing! The comments here have inspired us to remove the railing and replace the chairs, as well as creating more of a floral garden to add texture and color to the space, thank you!

• 3 months ago

Maybe removing the railing is all you needed. A couple of clear seats to watch birds in a raised water feature.

• 3 months ago

Paul, that looks great and I love all the color!

• 3 months ago

You need more comfortable chairs and a large, colorful welcome mat or outdoor rug for the entry.