Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsyp

12 years ago
I have an upstairs bath with a deep soaking tub that one steps down into. I am not sure how this was accomplished, perhaps a floor joist was cut in order to fit the tub there. I am hoping to add a shower head without spending much money. I don't want to remodel/ build a dormer/ etc. We're adding a shower to increase resale value, not long term enjoyment. Any way to do this without taking out the soaking tub? Also, the blue slanted wall is not waterproof. Is there an easy way to waterseal it? Any way to add a shower head without wrecking the tile? any clever and inexpensive solutions welcome!

Comments (24)

• 12 years ago
    note, I am almost 6 feet and standing in the tub the top of my head basically touches the slanted blue wall above. (also, that is a window you see)
  • 12 years ago
    As they say - Huston we have a problem ! I don't think there is anything much you can do unless you get some guidence from a Plumber. I think this bathroom is going to haunt you when you want to sell. You might have mold problems because the wall was not prepared properly. And God only knows if structure was ruined when that tub was done. Good Luck !
  • 12 years ago
    I have a similar slanted wall on a shower enclosure, and sealed it with marine paint, which has held up very well
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with Desiree Davis' comment above. Also the idea of the existing tub dropped into the tile deck is problematic when using a shower head. It will spray onto the tile and not drain down into the tub, causing future problems. A deck mounted handshower and the bench seat idea would help a bather make it more usable with out costly renovations.
  • 12 years ago
    Desiree and Kayron, if we were to invest in a major renovation we'd have to build down. I have to avoid any outside work. (We have a new roof and the house is historic so we're not really allowed to do dormers without an extensive review process that we don't have time for). What could this look like? I'm envisioning one huge walk down (with steps) shower with a skylight in it. Do you think this is a cool idea? Ball park what a major reno like this might cost? We are in Boston, rather pricey market.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Sounds like an interesting concept! I work on kitchen and bath remodels in Atlanta and costs for a bathroom renovation can obviously vary greatly; with my experience though, even a simple "facelift", no plumbing or electrical relocation, with some detailed design features in a medium sized bathroom will cost a minimum of about $25K-$30K, (this is assuming you pay an experienced designer and trusted general contractor to run and coordinate your project...I highly recommend this). You can easily bump that price up into the $60's and $70's or more if you pick high end selections and/or move utilities around. Basically you will be looking at $30k-$70K+ (I know, I know, ouch! It seems insane, but those numbers just add up so quickly). I would recommend determining how much you would like to put into this remodel and then approach a design/build company in your area so they can look at the space in person and help you determine the possibilities that fall within your budget. Good Luck with your project!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    lsyp, marie here. I'm really concerned, you are talking about going the cheapest, quickest route for resale, and you could be putting someone in danger by not renovating it correctly. My only advice for you is if you can't do it properly, LEAVE IT ALONE - let your new buyer spend the money and put in a proper DITRA/KERDI system in this bathroom. I'm not going to say anymore because it is because of people taking short-cuts with renovations that I've seen some really sick people from Mold and Mildew. Water gets everywhere, so PLEASE, if you can't afford to do it right - LEAVE IT ALONE!
  • 12 years ago
    I so agree with Marie - - I think you should consult with an architect and see if the bathroom can be relocated and if you don't want to do that then leave it be .If you cannot afford a remodel then don't even start. Once you open up a wall it could be the start of big $$$
  • 12 years ago
    Marie/ Lefty: I'm not interested in doing shoddy work, I am interested in creative and relatively inexpensive solutions to a design issue. Thanks to all for your constructive suggestions.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    What is behind the walls on the left and right? bedrooms? You could reposition the door to one of those walls and put a shower on the wall where the door is currently. It would take some plumbing work but would give you full head room in the shower and no exterior renovation. Take out the tub and fix any structural issues and then put a nice inexpensive floor across. I don't see a toilet but it could go under the slant a bit since you dont need much headroom sitting down (if you have one in this bathroom that the pictures do not show). Reposition the sink to fit the new flow and you would have a really nice bathroom.
  • 12 years ago
    Unfortunately "Money" and "Quality" has a direct relationship.
  • 12 years ago
    If you are not willing to make proper changes to this bath, my opinion would be to cut your losses and spend what little money you are going spend on removing that tub and making repairs to the structure and water damage ( just because you cannot see it, doesn't mean its not there. Unless this tub was never used, moisture got into those non water resist walls).
    I don't see a toilet in this bath, is there one?
    Due to space and size constraints I doubt any building code would allow for a shower like that. The next home owners may have the budget to install a dormer and make it right, but don't screw them over twice with a shoty plan.
  • 12 years ago
    To some of the posts implying I am looking to do shoddy work. Please stop. It's not accurate and some of the posts in this exchange are unfriendly. There is no water or mildew damage. The tile on the back walk us 3 feet high and the tile on both walks reaches up to 7 feet on both sides. All is watertight and regularly recaulked. It is also seldom used. I am trying to make it more useful. The hand held deck mounted shower with custom bench is a nice example of constructive inexpensive (and ethical) solution. I also appreciate the idea of moving the toilet which is to the left of the sink to a spot under the wall after removing the tub and re-flooring. When I said "inexpensive" I meant "smart". I appreciate the feedback from everyone but please don't assume the worst when it cones to a query from a stranger on an interior design site.
  • 12 years ago
    Lastly I should have said that this project is not for MY personal long term enjoyment. And yes we are selling. But we want to list after completing a nice but basic improvement.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry that our efforts were presented so poorly and taken off course from your first call for help. That was not our intent. We were just trying to make sure you were not going to spend money needlessly or get into a remodeling nightmare. I think you would be best served getting some good advice from someone that can give their opinion on site- like a plumber or an architect. Things are hard to see from a few pictures on - line. Once again Sorry and I hope everything works out for you.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you for the nice reply. I have two contractors coming in the morning and hopefully will have a final follow up picture for you all in a month or two.
  • 12 years ago
    Apologies..... To clarify my comment is really to not introduce more problems, for yourself or potential new owners. My husband and I walked away from sooo many homes that were under the spell of misguided handymen that didn't have a plan at all but wanted to throw in big ticket items to raise house value. You may not be able to install a shower, but if you fix/remove the tub and fix any problems, that may be better money spent.
    I asked about the toilet cause maybe you could relocate it beside the sink as well. And you could just use the extra space for a dresser with towels and supplies.
    To be constructive, I am not sure that any paint can actually waterproof the walls for you. The paint will be waterproof, but any pinholes, cracks and corners will be unprotected and the drywall will suck up a lot of water. You just won't be able to see it and could cause trouble down the road. This might be something worth investing.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you!
  • 12 years ago
    use waterproof backer board... the kind they use in shower installations then use water proof morter (thinset) like you use in shower installations for tiling it has an additive to make it water proof then you can stucco in effect the ceiling portion with it ....it creates a bit of a rough texture and is very pleasing to the eye... color can be added to to it to make it color compatable with the rest of the room by adding a colored grout to the mix before applying.... inexpensive by comparison to a remodel, and like one of the other posts said purchase a new faucett systen that has shower capabilities and one of those beautiful wall mounted shower systems ... they have a detatchable hand held shower head and optional sprays.... a glass shower door that opens out or a clear shower curtain and rod will work just fine... and wont make the room seem smaller....such pesimists in some of these posts....it can be done my friend.....the real facts on resale is that if someone else dont like it they will redo it anyway.....do what you want as long as it is your space
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I LOVE this bathroom - so warm & welcoming...I want to jump in that tub!!! Desiree has wonderful suggestions. The only way I see a shower in there is to inset it into the wall where the etagere is, so this will depend on what's on the other side of the wall. THEN you need to tile it in the same or very well coordinated tile. I would say that this may cost $5,000, based on the work we do. We do mid to high end homes & have done entire bathrooms for as little as $6,000 (a couple years ago - it may be $8,000 today).

I honestly would recommend the deck mounted spray shower & the teak deck.

Come back & let us know what happened.

May I say that I do NOT believe that money=quality in most cases. We usually fall in the middle in quotes, & that is where you should look - in the middle.
  • 12 years ago
    on a totally different note what brand name is the tub, I have been searching everywhere for someting similar as what you have there !!
    currently ripping out 50+ year old bathroom looking for a small soaking tub
  • 12 years ago
    ammonite, the brand is "jacuzzi" and it is from the 80s. Kohler has nice deep smaller soaking tubs, fyi.
  • 12 years ago
    A spearate shower can be built somewhere else in the house, by new home buyers. If your head touches the dormer ceiling- wheres the clearance for a shower.LOL> There is a slider shower head that is adjustable and can be detachable from a pole.. but this requires crashing out a few tiles, you maybe cant replace with the same. If you go that route what you can do is create a panel.. of a contrasting tile that matches the paint colour. However, I think, cheapest- and what this space is meant to be is - I would go to a high end bath fixture place and pick a cradle or detachable shower head faucet in one.. and hire a good plumber.