Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marniharp

Wall Paneling… horizontal or vertical?

10 years ago
For my 12 year old son's room, I would like to install wall panels around the entire room. However, I can't decide whether use horizontal or vertical panels, in a wide plank. Do one of these have a more significant impact as to the sense of size and room height? His ceilings are standard height to I want to be sure not create the illusion of shorter ceiling. We live near the beach so I am trying to create a beachy feel.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    Vertical to create illusion of height but I don't see why just painting in nice beachy colors would not be better than installing panels that everyone else is trying to get rid of.
  • 10 years ago
    Are you going for a beachy cottage style like one of these?
    Southern CT Beach Home · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/27-aiken-street-beach-style-bedroom-atlanta-phvw-vp~9483502

Florida Beach Cottage · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    Exactly that cottage style. Just trying to figure out what kind of wood, whether it should be tongue and groove, to the ceiling or 3/4 height up the walk, and horizontal vs vertical. Also, I want white painted wood panels but prefer a grey undertone. Any paint suggestions? Want to make sure there is a masculine element to the room that will take my son thru his teen years.
  • 10 years ago
    I would say not to put them up, because there is a good chance they will just make the room look outdated and not how you want them to look. I agree with Patricia about just painting it "beachy" colors. But it is just my suggestion, so if you really do like how it looks then do it! (:
  • 10 years ago
    This is a wall in my sister's cabin. They whitewashed wide boards and attached them horizontally. Gives a cool, beachy look. I don't think it is too dated. . . ?
  • 10 years ago
    I would do one wall only and use prefinished driftwood-look flooring installed horizontally. Easy to install and easy to remove later. Blue/grey wall color, beachy furniture , sisal rug.
    marniharp thanked flyr4fun
  • 10 years ago
    Don't do it >.
  • 10 years ago
    >.
  • 10 years ago
    My face emote isn't working lol
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you so much for everyone's feedback. I am so confused. I continue to see wood paneled walls in magazines for Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn kids. I think it is such a cool look that adds so much more dimension to the room than just paint. Examples are included below. Thoughts????
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I agree. Horizontal plank as in 27 aiken will produce exactly the look you want. Do not be deterred by naysayers. It is plank, it is spaced (might as well use tile spacers so it is perfect), it is not cheap unless you do mdf primed (which is fine for a painted finish). You will always love it - on a headboard wall or around the entire room. If your home style is very modern / contemporary / eclectic, and you had some great arched dormer windows, then sure, vertical but otherwise horizontal and start at top - walls are rarely square but you want full width above eyeline and any scribe or narrower trim boards to be near baseboard for sight. . don't hesitate to do it only to 6' with a wider board around the top if you have a high level of trim in your house around doors and windows but if not, do the whole wall . .at least a headboard feature wall . why not? but I like the whole room approach. I'm a fan of 1 x 8 with spacers (paint wall behind first / use mitered /angle splices / as few as possible depending on your ability to transport length / length of the room / etc. ) only 3 per 2 feet /
    marniharp thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Maybe let your son see what you are thinking it is his room after all
  • 8 years ago

I would think chalkboard walls would be better for a 12 yr. old. He can let his creativity flow without destroying anything. ;)

• 8 years ago
    Wood walls are great, we had them installed in our kitchen, master bath and dining room. Builder used 1x6 t&g pine
  • 8 years ago
    Go to lowes and get stain grade plywood, have them rip Ito six or eight inch boards, you will save a ton of money if you are planning a DIY install....this look is on trend as you said...it is defiantly in all of the magazines....for gods sake you can take it down years later if you like. I have contractors installing this in million dollar homes as I speak. go for it
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am sure you have already completed this project looking at the date you posted it. However, if you haven't I think the VJ boards are a great idea for a coastal look and will give a completely new look to the room.

If you want to give an illusion of more height then go for vertical (up and down) boards. Horizontal will make a room look a little wider. I think both would work well, I would personally go with the horizontal ones as I feel they are more coastal in style and more contemporary.

I am using this type of wall board horizontally in an outdoor garden studio I am having built. If you don't want to do the whole room in the board then I would just do the wall behind the head of the bed. Shutters would be another way of creating a coastal look or you could add some rattan Roman blinds for texture. Good luck and if it is completed, would love to see an image.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I LOVE the look and I would install them vertically!

• 8 years ago
    We are having v joint panels laid horrizontally in our lounge as i thought it would look too queenslander-ish done vertically! hopefully i have made the right decision!!
  • 7 years ago

Well I had this dilemma with our beach house & I must say that after all advice given & pics shown, I believe horizontal wide planks are the way to go for us! It seems vertical might hint at a period home with certain features which we do not have. Horizontal just gives a relaxed coastal feel, so I appreciate all the input!

• 6 years ago

I too am facing the decision of vertical vs horizontal & what color. I purchased primed shiplap planks from Home Depo & Amazon. They are 3/4" x 71/4" x 8' paulownia wood (although the description says they are pine...). They will be going on one wall as an accent wall. I plan to paint them the new "shiplap" color by Joanna Gaines. They will be going vertical (unless I change my mind AGAIN), because I have floor to ceiling windows. My home is on a river, so it is more of a "nautical" feel and less of a "beachy" feel. Lastly, I saw vertical in a model home and figured the designer new what she was doing! My other walls are painted the beautiful Restoration Hardware silver sage and I love them! I will post pics when finished. Go for it!

• 5 years ago

How did you like the vertical wall? I’m renovating a 1964 cottage in the Bahamas. Technically my walls are 8 ft but with exposed rafters. I don’t want the house to feel smaller by running the boards horizontall. Do you have pictures of your project?