Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crmuffin

I need help selecting a sleeper sofa for my den

9 years ago
I have a small den (10' x 13'). One long wall has all cabinets. The opposite long wall has a loveseat, a 3 shelf bookcase, a small round table next to one end of the loveseat, and a swivel rocker and ottoman in the corner. One short wall is all closet, and the opposite short wall is a window with a small cabinet and lamp.
I need a sleeper sofa for my den, and wonder if anyone can give me ideas. I have blue and cream toile wallpaper on all walls, and cream trim. My swivel rocker is blue, and my current loveseat is blue and white stripe. My furniture is maple. Everything is Ethan Allen.
The Ethan Allen loveseat sleeper has only one large cushion, which may or may not be a problem for me. I also have a hand and arm disability, so I need something that is easy to work with. I went to an EA store and looked at a sleeper sofa (loveseat) they had on the floor in leather. The large cushion was a bit heavy for me to handle. I was able to take it off and on, and was able to open and close the bed myself. Do you think I'd be better with a full size sleeper, and then try to move the bookcase elsewhere? The full size sleeper has 2 bottom cushions, but it's about 14" longer than the twin sleeper.

Comments (13)

• 9 years ago
    Thanks, weatherwife. My den is very crowded, but I have my TV in that room, and I use that room every day. I have quite formal furniture in my living room, and I only use that room when I have company. My guest bathroom is right across from the den, so I want to use the den for a sleeper sofa. I suppose I should try to sell my loveseat and get a twin sleeper sofa (they sometimes refer to it as a chair and a half). I don't think I'd have room for a full size sleeper sofa in that room. It's crowded enough as it is, and I can really see that in my photos.
  • 9 years ago
    I love the room as it is, but I do understand that this room would be great with a sleeper sofa for when you have company staying overnight. I do think a full sized sleeper definitely makes the most sense as you could sleep a couple on it, while the twin size of course only sleeps one. The book shelf would most likely need to be moved to another room, but I would think there is enough room for a smaller end table there with a lamp once you have the sleeper in place. The loveseat is beautiful; I'm certain you can sell or consign it if there is not another spot in your home for it. I think you will enjoy having the versatility of a sofa that also converts for company. (I hope you are able to find a similar blue! Love the color. Good luck!!
    crmuffin thanked weatherwife
  • 9 years ago
    It depends on how often you expect you might have guests, and how many... How often will you need to move those cushions yourself? Might your hand& arm get worse with time? If you moved the small cabinet on the short wall opposite the closet, would there be room for the bookcase? It is nice and also quite useful so I would hate to see you get rid of it unless absolutely necessary (maybe the closet could be reorganized so that the things in the small cabinet would go in there instead)..?
    crmuffin thanked colleencc
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    One thing to consider, is that you have created some symmetry on that wall with the chair on one side and the bookcase on the other. The layout is going to feel very different and asymmetrical if you remove the bookcase and put a larger pull out sofa. I recommend sticking to something smaller if that will work for you and your guests. LaZboy has some nice options.
    crmuffin thanked Woodman Design
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    arrange the sofa at wall and remove chair. see sleeper sofa idea http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=225&Furniture=Sleepers
    crmuffin thanked The Classy Home
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Is this just for company? Have you considered a Murphy bed or a blowup bed?
    crmuffin thanked Mint Design
  • 9 years ago
    yes a full sleeper should work great maybe de clutter the small space just a little
    so you can have a little more room. you should be fine.
    crmuffin thanked dekalbfire
  • 9 years ago
    I will only have one person sleeping in the sofa bed in the den. Also, I need to keep the swivel rocker and ottoman in my den, as that's most comfortable for me to sit in (I have back problems also). I guess I'm stuck with getting a twin sleeper.

I added 3 other photos, showing the opposite long wall and the short wall with the window. The opposite short wall is all closet.

Then, I'll need to sell my loveseat (which is in almost new condition). I've never tried Craig's List, and I'm a bit uncomfortable going that route. I may just put a notice in my building, and see if anyone is interested in the loveseat.

I do have a queen Ethan Allen sofa bed in my living room; however, it's hard to move all the furniture around to open the sleeper. Then once it's open, we always keep it open while my company is here, because it's such a hassle to close it and open it again. That sofa sleeper has 3 back cushions, 3 seat cushions, and 2 side pillows, which is a lot to take off and find a place for.

Note: I have a lot of furniture in the living room already, and only have one bedroom that's full also. So, there would be no way to move the bookcase (unless I put it in the hallway).
  • 9 years ago
    Hello muffin, would the bookcase fit on the wall behind your chair but facing the same way it is now? Perhaps the round table could go in front of the window and the cream table there now could take the place of the bookcase. It sounds like a loveseat sofabed would fit best in this room, doesn't it?
    crmuffin thanked edithsmom
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I know I have too much furniture in the room, but maybe some things can be moved around. I really think a loveseat sofabed would fit best in the room. I'll check some out, but I want to get one that has a good mattress, is comfortable to sit and sleep on, is well-constructed, and easy for me to handle.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I've decided to sell or donate my Ethan Allen loveseat and get a power recliner chair for my den. I will keep my blue swivel rocker and matching ottoman, but move it to the other end of the wall, and put the recliner chair where the swivel rocker is located now.
    I need help now with suggestions for a good-quality (not over $2,000) leather power recliner, suitable for a woman who is tall and slim. I've checked Lazy-Boy and Flexsteel recliners so far. Thanks for any help you can offer.