Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buddyfly

Has anyone heard of 'Shuba' stucco?

18 years ago

I read an article in the Awake magazine about this technique of applying stucco in the Ukraine. It takes two years for the craftsmen to learn how to master it. "Shuba" means "fur coat"... the stucco looks like the furry inside of a sheepskin coat. The cement mix is applied to walls with a twig broom and a rod. The broom is dipped into the cement mix and is then sharply slapped against the rod causing the cement mix to spatter over the wall. They incorporate awesome designs into the walls. The walls are then painted and all the home-owner has to do is hose it down and touch up any faded paint.

I wish I could post the photos in the article online but it is copyrighted of course so I can't.

I may see what I come up with by trying this technique on a piece of tufa. Will show you the results if I ever give it a try. Think this one will have to be done outside as it will be a tad messier than my usual tufa! lol

Marly

Comments (14)

• 18 years ago

Interesting. Can you post a link to the article? Gnat

• 18 years ago

It isn't an online magazine! :-(
    Sorry about that... that is why I tried to describe the technique for you. I have searched the Web for any pics or articles on this but to no avail. It is an old art learned in the Ukraine. I wish I could learn more about this in detail but I can't afford a trip over to Ukraine! lol

Marly

• 18 years ago

Marly,
    It sounds like a very inexpensive 'gunite' applicator. I can imagine the finish and it would be very cool. I am wondering it you could get a similar effect with either a splatter paint of cement slurry or using a toothbrush dappled on the surface of semi set mix, or a stiff husk broom on the surface.
    dena

• 18 years ago

There's gotta be a few leftover brooms from Hallowe'en!
    cheers from here

• 18 years ago

I just got a copy of the article from a friend and have seen the pictures. What makes this interesting is that it does resemble a gunite job but they apply it over what seems to be some sort of stencil, leaving the unshuba'd part of the application smooth. Imagine doing a reverse ivy stencil border around a window or wall with a textured roller. The ivy would remain smooth, the surrounding wall would be textured and a different color. At least that how it seems to me. The applicator pictured does seem broomlike, a bundle about the size you could grab in your hand and the whacker stick about the same size. I hope this make sense. It's the best I could do.

• 18 years ago

Marly, that sounds interesting! Drat, google image was no help, either.

• 18 years ago

Does it resemble any thing on this link?

Here is a link that might be useful: stucco styles

• 18 years ago

nmgirl...In my opinion,in the picture in the article it resembled the stipple texture but the texture surrounded a "stenciled" shape.

In other words, you mask off areas where you don't want the texture, then shuba over the whole area. Then remove the mask/stencil, leaving textured and untextured areas. But I still don't know if "shuba" refers to the process or the result.

• 18 years ago

Actually, for our purposes, masking off areas with something like leaves and using anything to create background texture around it might be an interesting experiment. The masked area would be depressed and the textured area, raised.

• 18 years ago

Buddyfly,

Your tufa wall that you made for your friend (pictures posted a few months back) would be a great "canvas" on which to experiment.

I know it takes a bit of the old world craftsman feeling out of the technique but one of those spray guns for applying texture to ceilings might work well for this. It would make doing large areas go more quickly.

• 18 years ago

Well, I am delighted to see the interest on this subject! I looked at those stucco pics, nmgirl, but they don't resemble them. The closest thing I think I could drum up was a close-up pic of a shearling coat. HARD TO FIND TOO!!! I am posting a link to boots/slippers pic that shows the 'mounded wool' appearance of the Shuba.

Fleur, I think you are right about stencils or masking off for that beautiful design. I think that they apply a smoothed coating of stucco and let it cure before they mask ... the stencilled parts look so smooth. Glad you saw that article too.

That tufa wall we did was at my girlfriend's place. I don't think she and her husband want to part with the fossilized shell look! lol But that WOULD have been a great project to try this on. I think that gun applicator would work for this although I kinda like the idea of going back in time and beating a broom against a rod! lol

Ciao for now!

Marly

PS - the "shuba" refers to the end result. Shuba means 'fur coat' and the end result looks like the shearling fur/wool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shearling texture

• 18 years ago

What about this one? Too furry?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:75337}}

• 18 years ago

Google did not help me either even when I asked in Ukrainian:-(
    Technique itself (broom&rod) sounds familiar. Brush with long course bristles and stick should do the trick same as spray gun.
    Did they mention in what region of Ukraine it was?
    If " It takes two years for the craftsmen to learn how to master it" it more likely originally was done free hand, without any stencils.
    Like the idea of using leaf as stencil, will try it if this rain ever stopped.
    Anna