Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seattlemarigene

Happy Birthday to my Aspargus Fern Gus 80yrs old

16 years ago

This is Gus..My Nana had a chicken farm back in 1927 and one of her customers brought her a baby aspargus fern.She named him Gus..And since Im proud of the fact he has turned 80 and still thriving I wanted to post his picture.:0)

{{gwi:103966}}

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

Wow! THAT is amazing! Gus is a lovely plant, Happy Birthday!
    Lori

• 16 years ago

Happy birthday to Gus. And congratulations to Nana and you too for keeping him so healthy for so long. Sandy

• 16 years ago

Wow Wee! For being 80 yrs old, Gus is VERY healthy looking, so nice and green!
    How do you take care of him?

Billy Rae

• 16 years ago

Beautiful healthy fella for his age! Looks like Asparagus plumosus which will climb if given a chance. Mine is hardy here in Zone 8a and though it turns a pale creamy tan with the first hard frost, it is still lovely climbing an 8 ft. iron post on porch. It will put up new stems from roots in spring and I then remove the old growth. Also have one inside which climbs blinds...which is not so lovely trying to disentangle when I want to move it. LOL josh

• 16 years ago

Gus lives in the southeast corner of the living room.I shut the curtain in the morning in summer when its really hot.And josh you are right about the climbing..Once I let him go and he got 8 ft tendrils along the top of the curtain..I transplant him every few years into fresh soil.His pot has gotten bigger over the years..I cut out the dead stuff every once in a while.And I water him with some thrive plant food.Gus is really easy..I also have my Nanas prayer plant and haworthia but they are only about 55 years old..:0)

• 16 years ago

Marigene, I have an old gardening book published in 1901 and it's amazing how many of today's favorite houseplants were being grown then. Fun to speculate how many cuttings were passed along and probably still thriving somewhere today from still other cuttings. But to have an original plant 80 years old...just think of all the care and watering through all those years.

Your Prayer Plant (Maranta?) is a little fussier so it's surprising it made it through those times when, if like my plants in that family, it sulks or gets brown edging on leaves. I have learned though to cut back on watering and even if it dies back it will recover from roots. The Haworthia I haven't grown but, again, I'm really impressed with its age.

Thanks for sharing the story of your plants..josh

• 16 years ago

Happy Birthday Gus! Wow, incredible!

• 16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Gus..He doesn't look a day over 79...LOL j/k...Gus is handsome for his age. I hope my Plumosia and family makes it as long..Toni