Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_king66

Alpine Violet Cyclomen

Shannon King
3 months ago

I was bought this plant and it looked really good a few weeks ago, but apart from one flower and a few green leaves.... the rest have drooped. I have it sitting on the window sill to get some light, but I put it in the bath with some other plants the other week and think it may have been over watered. Should I just let it dry out and for how long ?

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 months ago

any chance at a pic or two ...

where are you .. big city name.. is the furnace blasting??.. is it in the hot air from such???

i cANT THINK OF ANY PLANT.. I DONT LET NEAR DRY.. BEFORE THE NEXT WATERING.. ESPECIALLY IN WINTER.. WHEN EVERYTHING IS USUALLY IN SLOW MOTION Anyway ...

carp.. ignore the caps...

its incredibly stressed.. fert is never a remedy for stress ...

ken

• dbarron
    3 months ago

And if you should decide to do some of your own research, the plant is a cyclamen (spelling) and probably a florist's cyclamen (cyclamen persicum). There's a lot of information already out there.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 months ago

Florist's cyclamen prefer cool indoor temps.......just below 65F is ideal. They also do not like to dry out but watering the crown can lead to rotting tubers so best to place pot in a dish of water and allow the water to be absorbed upwards. Tolerant of quite low light conditions as well. Remove any spent flowers or yellowed leaves.

And since winter is their primary growth season, a periodic application of a dilute liquid fertilizer is advised. But get the watering issue straight first.

Shannon King thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Shannon King
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ken_adrian

• Shannon King
    Original Author
    3 months ago

dbarren, that was how it was spelt when I looked

• dbarron
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

It's dbarron (wrong vowel again).

Interestingly that might be one of the more garden hardy species than C. persicum.

I can't tell you which one for sure, but the culture would be typically a well-drained mix, never allowed to become soggy wet. Occasional fertilizer while in active growth. Expect leaves to yellow and go dormant for oh...say 5 months and then start growing again, during which time it should be kept fairly dry.

If we had any idea where you were, and any certainty which species, I might advise planting it outside in a well-drained area with about 1/2 sun, perhaps under a tree. But we don't know either of those things. However most only need a dry dormant period and not really a cold period, so it can be grown indoors successfully with good culture.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 months ago

in my house.. with near zero temps outdoors.. the window sill would be too icy cold at night.. and if south facing.. probably to darn hot during mid day ... so its probably not ery happy.. of course.. i see green grass out there.. so i wonder where you ar.e. big city name ...

we can never rule out issues of severe problems just before you got it.. it looked fine.. but it was doomed...

and.. as noted ... florist plants are ephemeral on some level.. often just not plants that will be long lived in a house that isnt perfectly monitored like a greenhouse...

ive had a few of these over the years.. and i never got one to be long lived... so i wouldnt let it bother you.. that you cant make it thrive either... but lets give it a try ...

move it a little further from the sunshine... let it near dry before watering again .... do that by the weight of the pot... wet pot heavy.. dry pot not so much..

clean out all the dead stems and what not.. and give it a month or 3... and if it looks better... keep it.. and it its still ugly.. just be done with it...

one definition of a green thumb gardener.. is that you have killed every plant 3 times... lol.. so what if this one doenst live.. go buy something else when you are ready ...

its stressed.. not hungry.. no fert until it starts looking better ...

and next time.. buy a real houseplant.... not a hothouse maiden ... check this out:

https://www.pansymaiden.com/flowers/meaning/hothouse/

ken

Shannon King thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Shannon King
    Original Author
    3 months ago

dbarron, are you for real ? Im not apologising for getting your name wrong and I won't be criticised either .... its not be all, end all.

Pathetic!

• Shannon King
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ken

Thank you for the advice, I'm in Warwickshire, West Midlands UK. The back of my bungalow is north facing and it's freezing here as well, plus not much day light this time of year. I moved the plant to my mantelpiece now, and leaving it to dry out. It was in bud when first got it has it was a little gift from my boyfriends mom.... (although my orchard she gave me as well) is doing amazing and hasn't stopped flowering since I was given it last summer.... it looked doomed in her home but thriving here. As for the cyclamen, i will do as you suggested and thank you again for the advice, much appreciated.

• Shannon King
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Floraluk2

It is drying out and when it's ready to be watered again, i will put some in the bottom rather than the top.

I got the name of it off a website after using a plant app, it didn't come with a label.

• floraluk2
    3 months ago

Make sure it has as much light as possible, but not direct sun, and keep it cool. I did find the misspelling "Cyclomen" on a Pinterest board but that and blogs are not reliable sources if plant information. Try to use sources like the RHS website or one of the mainstream gardening sites, such as: https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-indoor-cyclamen/

Shannon King thanked floraluk2
  • Shannon King
    Original Author
    last month

Update: the cyclamen is dormant now.... so I will water it again in autumn