Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
supernnyl

Heuchera Coral Bells - Root Rot or Crown Rot

12 years ago

I am located in Atlanta, GA. I have two coral bell plants, each in the same rectangular flower bed, but at opposite ends. They receive partial sun, but mainly shade. They've been planted since late April, and up until now, thriving. One is still thriving, but the other is wilting and shriveling up (not drying up). It isn't for a lack of moisture due to weeks of regular watering, and now, many recent thundershowers. From what I've researched, it could very well be crown rot or root rot. I've also read that a fungicide might fix the problem, but I'm not sure where to start. Has anyone experienced this, and if so, did you use a specific fungicide for treatment? Do you think the plant will still live? Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• 12 years ago

i would not spend 10 bucks for a fungicide to fix a 5 dollar plant....

that said.. i have NEVER 'saved' a plant that is already subject to either rot ...

i think part of the problem is.. that by the time you see the damage.. the plant either has no viable roots left.. or the crown is already mush ...

the remedy is simple.. and chemical free.. just throw it away ... and while you are there.. dig around a bit.. and try to figure out why drainage is an issue in that spot ...

ken

• 12 years ago

Ken I love your responses. You make me laugh. I would love to have you at a party, I bet you are a riot. This is said in a good way. I love people with personality.

That said....My Hercs cost me between 15-20 bucks not a cheap 5 buck plant and I have a love hate relationship with these plants. Love the leaves but they sure are picky.

My suggestion is dig it up wash all the soil off look and see if there are vine weevils. Plant them in a pot in good potting soil you might be able to save the plant.

Check out this site...

Here is a link that might be useful: Evil Weevils

• 12 years ago

thx mar .... got to entertain myself.. so may as well entertain you all .. lol ...

actually i am very shy at parties ...

anyway .. i cant keep track of every poster.. my first inclination is to shy newbies away from chemicals ...

i once read the homeowner is the greatest polluter on earth.. using more chemicals per acre.. than a good farmer will use on 100 acres ...

if the plant a few bucks.. why go nuclear ???

on the other hand.. as a guy who used to pay $250 for a hosta ... aka a hardcore collector.. i fully understand that there are many others of us ... that work in realm that includes the nuclear option.. but we tend to PROPERLY ID our nemesis's ... work on a preventive basis .. and use all cures properly and according to labeled instruction ...

but i still stand by my statement.. that if it is rot.. odds are low for recovery ...

but i didnt know about the evil weevil.. hmmmm ..

regardless.. something is happening to the roots that is interfering in water movement to the upper plant ... and you wont know.. until you dig it up ...

rot has a significant olfactory aroma .... you will now.. when you smell it ... think diaper .. lol ..

ken

• 12 years ago

Ken I am a big believer of organic gardening. I have never brought any bug killers. I search for organic methods if they do not work I just let the plant die and try again with the same plant if I love it or buy another.

I have a dog that is part of my family so the lawn just have to have some weeds. As far as I am concern grass is a weed it grows in the garden and everywhere.

• 12 years ago

I'd dig it up and check for weevil damage. I've had them eat all the roots. I've had them sheared completely off at the ground. They look like a toupee. Some have lived, most haven't but I never tried to grow them back in a pot.

• 12 years ago

Thanks for all of the info, folks.

• 12 years ago

I've had this problem in two gardens, and the first time it happened the plants were in a very sandy, well drained bed. That time I sent off the plants to the state extension and found out that it was rhizoctonia root rot. Heuchera is also susceptible to Phytophthora as well. I don't know which I have now, but I have more than forty Heuchera plants on the property so the investment isn't minor. If you are an organic gardener you can use Streptomyces lydicus, such as Actinovate, as a soil drench.

• 12 years ago

Aren't heuchera pretty? I love a good source of season long foliage color.

Unfortunately, heuchera can't take the heat here in the south. Once we get into July and August they are soon to be ex-huechera if they get anything other than early morning sun.