Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henry_kuska

Turn your hobby into a business?

13 years ago

"The rose business thrived, and by 2000 he was tending 100 local rose gardens. It was time to expand and hire a full-time employee.

Landscapers gave him referrals, because for the most part they did not have rose garden expertise. Dunn's customer base expanded to businesses and some of the most upscale homes in the Charlotte region."

Above quote from newspaper link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Comments (6)

• 13 years ago

Something I've done. Athough It doesn't make much money, I at least pay for my hobby each year.

• 13 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out a way to combine accounting with growing roses....sigh.

• 13 years ago

""Posted by flaurabunda 5b (My Page) on Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 10:54
    I'm still trying to figure out a way to combine accounting with growing roses....sigh.""

I HAVE figured out a way to groom dogs and grow roses. I do it at the same location. I have to say I had over 100 bushes earlier this year but I have SOLD over 20 this year, in post, fully matured, blooming bushes for GOOD money. I would pot up roses to sell full time if I did not like them so much myself! I can get over $50 for a basic HT in a pot, early in the season. they cost me about $10 total usually, including the pot and the plant. LOL LESS if I can get them after season like I did last year.

• 13 years ago

The last one I sold this week was $75 and it was a $2 after season Nicole in a $5 after season 17 inch pot. I turned down that much for my Mr Lincoln....I didn;t know how they would get it home since he is over 6 foot tall and kinda bushy at that. Besides,I kind of like that rose! I also have thought about charging for cut roses but haven't bothered to advertise it.... even though my florist did come cut some earlier this year for a special arrangement he was doing. He gave me $2 each for a dozen.....I was pretty happy cause
    I could buy another bush for that!

• 13 years ago

Ah---but I was thinking more along the lines of streamlining the process of getting roses to market by the suppliers that currently exist by improving efficiency, technique, and mitigating costs. The problem is that I know about zero regarding the process. I keep reading, though. Maybe someday.....

• 13 years ago

The few that I know personally that have been successful always keep their day job and sell their creations at local farmer's markets or the like.

Most pre-extisting mass markets deal directly with the big stores and work for small margins of profit (some might say that the big box store has played a great role in the demise of the big and small names in rose sales).

I can see myself selling roses at local farmer's markets in the future. The only thing holding me back is the fact that my weekends are precious time for me that I usualy use to tend to my garden. Adopting another job (rose sales) would only endanger my collection through further neglect.