Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karchita

Hardy Fuchsia 'Hillary'

16 years ago

Has anyone grown the hardy fuchsia 'Hillary'?

I would like to know how hardy it is and how tall it gets. I picked one up this spring and it's a real cutie, but I won't bother to put it in the ground unless is it likely to make it through the winter here.

I did a search and found no info.

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• 16 years ago

hi ive done a search on the bfs web site and this plant is not on there hardy list as you said i can find no info on this plant and have only found one place in the uk that sells it sorry i cant be more help but will keep trying

• 15 years ago

I, too, purchased a fuchsia "hillary' this summer. There was no info about whether or not it is a hardy plant. I intend to treat it as NOT hardy and overwinter it in my garage.

• 15 years ago

Update: I left my Hillary in a gallon pot in my cold frame for the winter. Then we had the worst plant-mortality winter here in many years and my cold frame was flattened by snow. I was sure that Hillary hadn't made it but guess what? It is sprouting little baby leaves from the base of the stalks! Yea! I am so happy. That little one is a keeper and is going in the ground somewhere special this spring.

I never did find any info on it. I think it may have another name. The flower looks a lot like the picture on the index page for this forum.

Viana, I hope yours made it, too.

• 15 years ago

Like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:789940}}

• 15 years ago

No. The sepals are white and the flowers are more slender and delicate and single. It also has an upright habit. Thanks for posting the photo, though. It gave me a moment of hope before I opened it, lol.

• 15 years ago

It's quite similar to this.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 15 years ago

Found it!! Was down at the nursery in Key Center and there it was. I bought 2. Henry's Plant Farm, Mill Creek, WA 98012

• 15 years ago

Mine was a four incher when I bought it and I had it in a gallon pot for most of the summer. It grew well and had filled up the pot by the end of the summer. It seems like it will get pretty big and tall.

I like a plant with a bit of mystery around it.

• 15 years ago

Here's a link to the info that the grower has for it on their web site. It says zones 9-10-11, but if it made it through last winter here, it's more like zone 7.

Here is a link that might be useful: hillary fuchsia

• 15 years ago

wow, that's a really pretty plant. I'll have to look for one!

• PRO
    3 years ago

I have a Hillary fuchsia in my yard in Northern California. It is very hardy in our zone (9a). The tag said it was a Dwarf species, so we planted it under an old Magnolia for the shade. It is huge (3 or 4 feet tall before pruning) and is covered with gorgeous lavender, pinkish & white blooms from spring to late winter. Very prolific grower and bloomer in our climate. The size is quite surprising. We love it!