FIND PROFESSIONALS
zabby17

Beer Bread

zabby17

OK, this isn't very harvest-y except that it calls for fresh herb (more on that later). But it's something I am really pleased with, and wd go well with many savoury Harvest creations (like herbed butter, pepper jelly), so I thought I'd share.

This recipe was in the Toronto _Globe and Mail_ on Saturday with several other recipes involving beer, apparently in celebration of St. Patrick's Day. (Guess it beats instructions for making green mashed potatoes.)

I tried it last night, since we had a couple of bottles of beer that have been sitting around for ages (when we do want to drink, we tend to go for the local cider instead).

Turned out just lovely --- a wonderful texture, sort of between a typical quick bread and a dense risen bread (the reason being apparently the yeast in the beer). So it can be sliced & toasted, even used for sandwiches (GREAT with cheese). As far as I can tell it should have very little fat (only what's in the cheddar). And it was quick to make!

Beer Bread

- from Lucy Waverman's column, Toronto _Globe and Mail_, March 15, 2008, p. L14

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 Tbsp sugar

1 Tbsp salt

1 Tbsp baking powder

1/4 cup chopped herbs*

1 cup grated old cheddar

341 mL (12 fl. oz) wheat beer or lager

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

Preheat overn to 350. Spray or butter a loaf pan.

Combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, salt, & baking powder. Add the herbs and cheese and stir to coat w/ flour. Stir in beer and mustard until mixture forms a dough. (You may need to knead it a few times by hand to bring it together.) [I did OK using a wooden spoon sort of like a dough hook on a mixer --Z]

Turn the dough into a buttered loaf pan and use a damp hand to smooth the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until light golden and firm to the touch. [I baked it more like 50 minutes, till a knife came out clean.]

Yum!

*The recipe called for dill, which I don't have and didn't think sounded ideal. I used tarragon because I had some, but don't recommend it --- the only thing I dont' like about this bread is that hint of flavour. I would try, I think, parsley, savoury, and/or chives. OR maybe rosemary --- it's got a strong flavour that would either be great or terrible.

Z