Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trotter1976

Need help on small kitchen remodel

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
These are pictures from a new house and needed some ideas as what I should do to spice this small kitchen up. I was thinking of painting the cabinets white, but feel that the wall cabinets really close the space in. Thank you for any suggestions that anyone has.

Comments (25)

• 11 years ago
    I have almost the exact same configuration in my kitchen, but with white cabinets. I think the white cabinets will definitely open it up. In my kitchen, I am fortunate in that I can move the refrigerator to another spot. I am planning to do this at some point in the future so I can extend the counter space by the stove.
  • 11 years ago
    This is an exact mirror of our kitchen (we are building currently). I agree with painting your cabinets white (cloud white by Benjamin Moore would look beautiful). New appliances will really help update everything. Im not a fan of the backsplash- I'd replace the countertops and do something with a little character, like Typhoon Bordouex granite. Another thing you can do is take the cabinets out from above the peninsula and put solid thicker shelves. It would take from kitchen cabinate space though, so if there is a basement or somewhere else to keep not frequently used kitchen appliances (mixers and blenders, etc) this would be a great option to open the room up even more.
  • 11 years ago
    I don't mind your oak cabinets and they appear to be in almost new condition. I would suggest that you update the brass hardware (hinges included) to oil rubbed bronze to coordinate with the dark accent tiles in the backsplash. I think the peninsula and the standard size refrigerator encroaching into the room are the main contributors to your observation that the kitchen feels closed in. A cabinet depth refrigerator would definitely give the space a more streamlined and open look.
  • 11 years ago
    I agree the peninsula and fridge act as hands closing in the kitchen I would take out the peninsula and above cabinets get a smaller fridge (as said) and add a island in the middle that extends a bit out into the dinning area.
  • 11 years ago
    IF you would truly like to open up this space - why not REPLACE some of the cabinet doors with GLASS doors? I don't know about WHITE - such a contrast? You could do some glass front cabinets with interior lighting? Display some lovely dishes - etc.? I think your cabinets are nice - and I agree - some new hardware would help - there are TONS of choices. Glass front doors on the two huge cabinets surrounding the widow would be a nice, more open feel. Are you keeping the countertop? That arm? I think I would even take that off [the ARM]at where the cabinets end on the long run - and install a nice Island? This would certainly open up your space. I would also suggest adding some deep profile trim - which would add some architectural detail to the space and actually make the kitchen look larger. What about a school house style pendant over the sink? Check out Rejuventation Hardware - on line to get an idea of what some simple lighting changes might will make? If you can do an island - would highly recommend a center style light fixture - OR you could do an island on wheels? let us know?
  • 11 years ago
    If you re-do the cabinets, take them all the way to the ceiling for more storage. I would also get rid of the 3-tier shelf to have wider cabinets. My kitchen is same set-up but "arm" is longer for more counter space. Hard to tell if there is room to lengthen from the picture. Definitely add granite counters.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the idea of painting the cabinets white. It will brighten the space up. If you can, replace the fridge with a black one or you may wnat to see about finding the black facing for the refridgerator to match the stove and microwave better. The backsplash does nothing for the room. A nice subway tile would look nice. Will you be replacing the counter tops?
  • 11 years ago
    Oak cabinets are not easy to paint over. The grain will show through - so unless you can replace them, or like the "shabby chic" look, I wouldn't paint the cabinets. Can you afford a counter-depth fridge ?

You might look into cabinet refacing - with a small kitchen if may not cost that much.
  • 11 years ago
    I have considered removing the peninsula, however, the floors were placed after the cabinets, and if removed there would be a void in the flooring. I am thinking of extending the peninsula out away from the kitchen and making a breakfast bar?? I love the idea of an islan, I just dont think there is room if the peninsula remains in place. Also, I am going to be replacing all appliances, just stuck on stainless versus white. Yes, I agree that the backsplash should be removed and thinking about the subway tiles, thank you all for suggesting that. We are going to go white with the cabinets and probably going to fill in the grain prior to painting. I love the idea of opening the cabinetry up with glass doors or no doors at all. Thinking of installing an apron sink and trimming out the window. Most of the house is oak, and frankly, I am not a big fan, and would like to go with white trim and doors throughout. Thanks again for all your suggestions, it is so wonderful to get other insights.
  • 11 years ago
    Just wanted to add that just changing the knobs is an inexpensive way to make a big difference.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Add some lighting under the upper cabinets and remove a few wooden panels in the upper cabinets and add glass .
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Here is the Inspirational picture .
  • 11 years ago
    I love the idea of subway tiles for a backsplash. Its a small sized kitchen (I can tell that in our house already and our cabinets aren't even up yet) so an Island really wouldn't work for this style. Do you have a pantry off the end of the peninsula as well or no? Our cabinet designer recommended against using glass doors in this style kitchen, but it was months ago and I honestly can't recall his reasoning, or if it was even good advice. Just something to consider. I would also go with Stainless appliances as the finish helps make the kitchen appear slightly larger vs. white. White appliances in white kitchen (unless you go with the fancy new Frost finished appliances, I don't think it would look right.) Good luck and have fun with your update!!
  • 11 years ago
    Someone I work with just painted oak cabinets and there is a new product on the market that you can paint over grained cabinets w/o sanding. I don't know much about but she just brought in her door cabinet and showed us on Wednesday. So check with your hardware stores to see if they carry this new product. I would cut down on prep costs.
    Appliances need to be uniform. If you are going white cabinets, I would do stainless. Black is terrible in a small space. There is stainless now that are good with fingerprints.
    I would do away with shelving unit too. I would also add molding to the tops, about 6" worth to get a bigger height feeling for the cabinets. Do this now before you paint so it will be seamless.
    Make sure your dining light fixture is updated to match updated kitchen.
  • 11 years ago
    Here is MY next question . . . WHY one earth would you paint such nice cabinets - since they are SOLID Oak - when you can open up the entire space by simply putting glass door fronts on some, and installing task and cabinet lighting? IF the house were ever to be sold - NO ONE is going to want painted over solid oak cabinets.

IF you want white cabinets - take these down and sell them on Craigslist and purchase some which are NOT solid Oak - someone else would probably sand and stain these using something like a nice wood stain in a color of choice - what a waste of good cabinets. Sell them - use the money and get the cabinets you want. OR, take them down, sand them and purcahse a WOOD STAIN product like Olympic Stain (comes in all types: opaque, clear, semi-opaque and are made to be used on wood. I just purchased some beautiful colors of stain for use in our home - in a light blue/grey; and a counter color in a lovely soft, semi-opaque gold. there are tons of things better than painting solid wood cabinets.

good luck
  • 11 years ago
    some people really hate oak, like me. I think painting solid wood cabinets is completely acceptable, I paint old oak antique furniture all the time, and if I had oak cabinets, I would definitely paint them. It is all personal opinion. I have seen lots of these cabinets in our habitat for humanity centers and people aren't buying them, so I doubt they'd sell for very much, not as much as what the cost of new cabinets will be. If they take out the cabinets, might as well gut the entire kitchen. Make this space your own and enjoy it. I would, if possible, switch out the corner cabinet door for a glass door that's pebbled or hammered though.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes - I have seen people paint solid oak cabinets - I am sure it can be done. RustO'leium Paint now makes a kit with which can redo an entire kitchen INCLUDING the countertops. One can go to Rustoleium on line and find out all this information for just such matters.

IF she is going to be replacing all of the appliances - this is NO SMALL kitchen re-do. I would then go ahead an take out the counter-bar, and have the floors worked back in - a floor person can easily do this, Lumber Liquidators has all types of flooring and additional tiles are available everywhere. We do not, however, know what the floor is? At that point it would open up the entire kitchen and install an island . This would greatly enhance the openess and light desired. If it were me, I would even consider getting a stove top for the island and then getting a wall oven? I have read back over all of these comments - Trotter1979 - you have not shared exactly WHAT type of kitchen you would like to have: Traditional, cottage. modern - etc.

And yes, that is a huge fridge out there on the corner. What about enclosing the fridge with material to match your cabinets? Regardless of what you end up with, enclosing the fridge would make the kitchen look more finished.

And, I would definitely add ceiling trim - will help make the kitchen appear larger.

What look are you headed for? Other than white? Let us know - this would make a huge difference in suggetions?
  • 11 years ago
    Hey, that's my kitchen before we did the facelift. Our cabinets were in great shape and solid wood, so we just painted and glazed but what a difference. We put in a granite countertop and extended the island area at an angle to give us more space and in my case moved the sink to give me a view. I love it now...I might even cook in it...lol!
  • 11 years ago
    Smarouelli- beautiful! Great job!!!
  • 11 years ago
    Ps...I forgot to add that our wall color is Alexandrian Beige by BM as it flows into our open concept dining/living room which is Davenport Tan,also by BM. They were solid maple cabinets but had a pinkish look to them, ,we tried to live with it but..... Anyhow, painted cream color with a chocolate type glaze over top to give them some depth.
  • 11 years ago
    Wow - this DOES look fantatic - Yep - paint is definitely the way to go. And, YOU DO have the exact same ktichen. Amazing face lift here. AWESOME! OK - Trotter - guess you will be busy - let us know!
  • 10 years ago
    This is what the kitchen looks like now. so glad the face lift is over, thank you everyone for the helpful advice.
  • 9 years ago
    This looks awesome! love the colors together. It really looks put together
  • 9 years ago
    Fantastic! congrats.