thesnowpea

Brassada mivada

thesnowpea
12 years ago

Brassada mivada

Yellow flowers with some brown spots. This one blooms twice a year, without fuss. I like how it looks like exploding firecrackers. This time around, it gave two spikes, despite the fact that it badly needs to be repotted.

Comments (8)

• olyagrove
    12 years ago

wow; i really like this one!
    Olya

• thesnowpea
    12 years ago

Thanks! it's got a faint, greenish scent, which I forgot to mention, but you have to put your nose real close!

• xmpraedicta
    12 years ago

I don't know how I missed seeing this one! Beautiful cheerful flowers! Exploding firecrackers is exactly right!

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

I have to get this, is it hard to grow?? Ultra cool!!

Jane

• sdahl
    12 years ago

I love it!!! Such a bright color, too!

Sharon

• clintdawley
    12 years ago

Such pretty blooms...the petals are so much more substantial than I see on most Brassia hybrids. I bet with the Ada influence, these grow intermediate and medium light.

Nice job and twice a year blooming--a winner! (Most brassia hybrids that I know of only bloom once a year.)

• thesnowpea
    12 years ago

Hi, sorry it took so long to respond. I've been kinda ignoring my computer (I call it internet fatigue).

Jane, it's very easy to grow: just bright indirect light and a general regiment of benign neglect seems to work for it! LOL It is root bound, the media must be half rotten at the bottom, and it gets watered weekly (which sometimes is not enough, as the pleated leaves will attest). South window in winter, but since it's under a roof edge, the light is strong in winter than in fall and spring as the sun rises higher in the day. In winter, the room temp ranges from 60-65F, with some humidity when I remember to refill and run the lil humidifier I have.

Still, it keeps on trucking despite me!

Clint, yes, it does have a nice substance to the flowers. At first, I was unimpressed by it: I had hoped for a more orangey tone to the blooms, but it has become more handsome with the years.

• Sheila
    12 years ago

Beautiful. This is one for the wish list!!!

Sheila :)

Sponsored
Virginia Award Winning Architect | 9x Best of Houzz Winner

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268