Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolml_gw

fridge and stove side by side - is this ok?

12 years ago

My KD recently suggested that I should not put my all fridge (probably Miele) next to the ovens (Gaggenau) because of the heat transfer. Is this a real problem and something to avoid?

Comments (23)

• 12 years ago

Yes, avoid it. Your refrigerator needs to be able to dissipate heat. Placing a heat source right next to it will force your refrigerator's compressor to work harder, shortening it's life.

• 12 years ago

It's actually no trouble. It's true that the oven vents front, and can warm up the general vicinity, but no moreso than a warm day does, and it's not constantly running. The fridge itself warms up the area around it with exhausted heat. It may in theory make the fridge work a tiny bit harder sometimes, but doubtful that it would be enough to really affect longevity. Fridges are put next to ovens all the time. BTW, you shouldn't have much of any side warming, maybe when the self-clean is running.

The big issue is the angle of opening of the door and possible interference with the oven handle. The Gaggenau oven handle is angled back to avoid this kind of interference. My Miele fridge is right next to my Advantium, which also has angled handles.

The Gaggenau is very well insulated, as is the Miele, but you should still have a good bit of cabinetry between the two pieces. That also gives you breathing room between the door and the oven handle. Do check the exact interaction as your cabinets are being designed to make sure they won't actually hit, or have the oven open the other way.

• 12 years ago

Wouldn't the heat of the fridge help the oven more often than the oven hurting the fridge since they're on more ofte....oh phooey.

What Pllllong said. Watch your handles and how they open and don't worry about heat--just follow clearances required by the manufacturer.

• 12 years ago

I have had double ovens in a cabinet right next to a sub zero fridge for 30 years with no trouble. I'm just now remodeling this kitchen, but both the ovens and the fridge are still working, just worn and a bit shabby looking....

• 12 years ago

Thank you all. I will definitely check out the handles - both ovens and fridge will be left hinged so they shouldn't interfere with each other.

• 12 years ago

Check your local codes. It's not allowed where I live.

• 12 years ago

This is wall ovens. Gaggenau makes wall ovens. :)

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My fridge has been right next to my stove for 18 years and it's still going strong. It's not damaged on the side and I don't feel cramped when I cook. If your kitchen doesn't have the space for counters in between, it just doesn't. Mine doesn't. I believe I'd be more concerned if the fridge was encased in cabinetry. That would definitely limit how much heat could escape. I suppose it depends on the type of oven and fridge you have too. Things aren't made the same way they were when I bought mine.

• 7 years ago

Post a layout for your kitchen. I'd like to see how it's organized.

• 7 years ago

Dan, this is a 6+ year old thread.

• 7 years ago

Thanks. I didn't realize it was so old.

• 7 years ago

No worries, Claire. You were adding useful information. That's good! I was concerned that Dan hadn't noticed and wanted a question answered.

• 6 years ago

I'm curious to see a layout of a refrigerator adjacent to a gas range/oven. Also, I'd like to know any codes about that in San Diego County, CA. Does anyone know?

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is the same issue I have - stove right next to fridge. It's been this way for over 32 years (2 different stoves). I am remodeling, but must keep this set up (door to kitchen is on far right of photo, only 3" away from upper cabinet). I wonder if I should put subway tile behind the stove - wallpaper will be gone. Across the kitchen I will have subway tile between my counter and upper cabinets. If I put tile behind the stove, where do I stop and start it? We will be installing an over the range microwave/vent. Is it necessary to tile behind a stand-alone stove? I haven't had it all these years.

• 6 years ago

That looks so much like my kitchen it's crazy. I went with another vent hood because I'm short (5 ft. 4 inches). I didn't do anything but paint-no backsplash. The back of your stove is high enough not to need one. If your stove didn't have that back part, I'd definitely do a backsplash, but I don't see the point with this. I'd do it out of necessity if there was a necessity, but not because it's a trend or I thought I had to.

• 6 years ago

Lynn,

i know your kitchen is small but if you are remodeling and spending the money why would you keep the same layout? Post your kitchen layout in the Kitchen forum and the get some great ideas to end up with a more functional layout. There have been many galley kitchens posted and worked on in the past.

Personally, if I had a small kitchen, I would look at smaller appliances to make the space more functional. I would look at a 24" fridge, 24" range and an 18" dishwasher. Just by changing the size of the fridge and the range, you can get 12" of space between the fridge and the cooktop in the current configuration that you have. Also, adding drawers instead of base cabinets with doors, you will gain more space in your kitchen.

Here is an informative thread on the Kitchen Forum about designing your kitchen: New to Kitchens: Read me first!

Good luck!

• 6 years ago

Hi there ... good day to everyone, i am having a similar problem my gas hob is right next to my refrigerator.. i am wondering if there will be a heating problem as i am a bit hesistant to use the large burner which is closest to the fridge and emits heat while cooking.. i am wondering i should put a heat resistant sticker on the fridge? .. thanks and here is a pic

• 6 years ago

This is a drawing of where we are going. Since my fridge will have a new 'built in' wall around it, my builder-husband feels strongly that a fire proof material is necessary between that wall and the stove. I have decided to run the small 4" x 2" subway backsplash on the back wall of the stove and continue it along the left wall/fridge divider.

On that wall the tile will run all the way from the floor to the ceiling where we will put a molding that will match the top molding of the new cupboards. My new construction will include a small corner base cabinet (under the wall cabinet to the right side of of the stove). The backsplash tile will also go there. We have spent MUCH too long thinking over this process and choosing our materials. I really don't want a smaller stove/oven so we need to work with this space the best we can.

• 6 years ago

Lynn, is that a new stove too? What I'm asking is, will it have higher BTU's? My new stove really "kicks out" to the sides when it ignites the burner, please be careful. The stove manufacturer usually lists the required minimum clearances for surrounding cabinets/walls with a diagram right in the front of the stove manual. Personally, I'd be worried about a fire hazard with everything in such close proximity. I think the new wood fridge cabinet is going to restrict the fridge's heat exhaust and to me, seems dangerously close to the burners. How about a stainless steel heat shield on the side wall (and behind the stove) instead of tile? Also, make sure your new microwave vents out enough of the heat from the stove. Some of those microwave fans are less powerful, or recirculating air back into the room and not exhausting out (I don't know what you're installing). Good luck!

• 3 years ago

my stove and fridge were fine with no space between them for 18 years. then I decided to get a bottom freezer with fridge on top! So freezer coils are now (unfortunately) closer to oven then when the coils were on top. One and a half years later...Fridge needs major repair. I'm pretty disgusted. Very tiny kitchen. Fridge could only be moved to dining room. Ugh! looking at heat resistant shield as possible answer. Another $250 over repair cost.

• 3 years ago

Is the problem with your coils because of them being next to each other? I just purchased a new fridge and I am thinking about placing it next to my stove woth a 3 inch piece between the two at the base.

• 6 months ago

Lynn: I would love to see the finished project - especially the tile on the refrigerator surround. Have you had any problems with this configuration? I'm having the same issue in a small beach house reno. Thanks!