FIND PROFESSIONALS
tnhoghead

Quality of Flexsteel sofas

tnhoghead

We are looking at purchaseing two sofas and one love seat. The best for the price seems to be Flexsteel. What is the forums opinion on this brand and where can it be purchased on line and if so where is the cheapest?..Thanking everyone in advance, Tnhoghead

• mjconti

The furniture store owner stopped by today to 'shave' the chair for the second time. Not only is the fabric 'fuzzy', it snags very easily because parts of the fabric are loosely woven. He said he will look at the fabric sample in the store to ensure it looks exactly the same & as loosely woven. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it when I chose the fabric and I'm surprised I missed that. Flexsteel rates the fabric as 'heavy duty and suitable for a family & high usage.' But it is not! Anyway, the owner said that even though the fabric fuzzes, pills, and snags, it doesn't affect it's durability! That is an unbelievable statement to make. he also said Flexsteel backs up every single part of their furniture, except fabric, because Flexsteel doesn't manufacture any fabric. He said if I decide to purchase another chair, I'd be given a huge discount.

• James Hittle

Bought a Flexsteel recliner for the first time a few months ago. It is the most uncomfortable chair I've ever owned. I threw out a 25 year old Berkline that was still more comfortable than this chair. Never again.

Help with quality sofa

I purchased 2 Jonathan Louis sofas from Macy’s. I really liked the style, I loved the color, and I thought they were great. They were just under $1000, each. Not exorbitant, but not cheap either. They were delivered a few weeks later, and looked awesome. The after a couple weeks the buttons started popping off of the cushions. The heads were separating from the bases. Discouraging to say the least. We kept trying to put them back, but it got worse and worse. To the point we could not even sit on them without one popping off. I called Macy’s to speak with the woman who sold them to us, and she looked it up and said they had been having many complaints about the same thing from other customers, she ordered new cushions “from different manufacturing location” and she assured me it would be better. New cushions came, and after a few weeks the same exact story. Buttons popping off. So we tried to resolve it ourselves by twisting them on, over and over, even trying super glue! Nothing worked. I called Macy’s again, and she informed me unfortunately as I was a couple months over one year, they no longer could help but I should call Jonathan Louis Intl. directly. Which I did! I spoke with Cythia Valdes in customer service, and told her the experience I had had with the buttons. She explained to me that was a “fabric issue” which they did not cover after one year. (Conveniently for them, of course) They do have a 4 year warranty for manufacturing, but I was told that the buttons falling apart for the ENTIRE life of the couches was definitely not a manufacturing issue. It was fabric. Not satisfied with that answer she then passed me along to her supervisor Brandee Reyes who basically said the same. I asked several time to explain how this was a fabric issue, and not a manufacturing issue and she, of course, had no plausible explanation. She ignored me asking every time, because as we all are aware and any person with an IQ higher than a Triscuit Cracker has the common sense to know that this is ABSOLUTELY a manufacturing & quality control problem. One that Jonathan Louis refused to stand behind. So now my $1000 sofas look like $99 Discount Store POS sofas, after a couple months. I guess the next time I am heading to JoyBird.com At least they stand behind their products!

Broyhill vs Flexsteel sectional

hi there. you are very lucky to have such a large room to work with and it looks like the proportions are good. In my house, I have a similar set up although smaller in size. I will only watch TV lying down at right angles to the TV and my husband will only sit up facing the TV to watch. So.... since TV is such a large part of todays life, I would put a large sectional in this room with foot rests that come out on the section that faces the TV. That way everybody gets what they want and it's very attractive as well. A beautiful area rug would tie it all together with a large colourful piece of art over the fireplace to go with the scale of the fireplace

Broyhill vs Flexsteel sectional

DUPLICATE POST: Original here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/broyhill-vs-flexsteel-sectional-dsvw-vd~1338201

Quality sofa at low price?

yes, range of prices are horrific. birch lane has no complaints, but then they are part of the whole wayfair family and way fair has lots. potty barn is yeah and nay. noone like rh. flexsteel seems to come out well. lazyboy is a yeah and a nay too. If i have to go again, i will go to homereserve. they are all american, dirt cheap, won big awards, you can change out fabrics and arms, and i found several independent reviews where people said that they got for apt or dorm, couch alive 10 years later and they placing in homes. if you find anything to the contrary let me know.
  • mjconti

Were you able to try it out before you bought it? Sometimes that doesn't even help. We sat in the exact style/model of chair in the showroom that we bought and it seemed comfortable; but now that we have the chair in our home, it'is ok for a short period, but is uncomfortable after less than an hour. Like you, I miss our first rocker/recliner, a lazyboy; it wasn't bulky looking, a slight wing style, a tufted back and skirt. I sure wish we'd have kept it and had it recovered. It was by far more comfortable than anything we've purchased since then - & that was 40 years ago! We're staying away from Flexsteel and have no idea what is a good quality brand of chair now. We need a comfortable, attractive swivel chair. It would be a plus if it rocks or reclines.

• trandall1863

We're looking at buying new living room furniture so these reviews are very helpful. Several stores in our area carry Flexsteel as their "high end" line to my disappointment. The BBB (Better Business Bureau) gives Flexsteel an "F" rating! I've mentioned this to two retailers who are amazed and disagree (naturally). We like the look of a few selections but I will not buy Flexsteel based on the BBB, "F" rating alone. If considered a sampling of the Customers who bought flexsteel, that's simply too HUGE of a factor to buy that brand. Good luck to all who are struggling with it.

• mjconti

I'm stuck with a Flexsteel chair & ottoman upholstered with what I consider an inferior fabric even though flexsteel rated it HHH (heavy use by a family with children/pets). I should not have trusted their rating.

• Todd Cundiff

Absolutely horrible

• mjconti

The Flexsteel retailer said that Flexsteel does not rate the fabrics they offer for their upholstered furniture - the fabric manufacturer rates the fabric. So, for that reason, I'd never trust Flexsteel again. They don't back up what they are selling. If they offer the fabric, and the cost is determined by the rating, I think Flexsteel is responsible and back up the claim of a $$$ fabric's wearability rating. We moved our disappointing chair & ottoman out of the room where we had planned to use it. However, it is still not totally out-of-sight - out-of-mind. Every time I look at it, it reminds me of what an expensive mistake I made in choosing it.

• pam_carey513

I am considering purchasing some pieces from the Flexsteel Westside Collection - leather sofa, stationary chair, recliner, cocktail ottoman. Have been told it is made in the U.S. and one of their best collections. Has anyone purchased pieces from this particular group and how did it hold up? Longevity and Quality?

• charles lavender

no no no no! the flexsteel warranty does not cover the quality or condition of the cowhide. the furniture has broken down, leather faded, torn in one place, and the lounging feature has had to be repaired constantly. this furniture is not handled by outlets specializing in quality furniture. I paid over 7000 usd for two recliners and a couch with 2 reclining feature. Mine lasted 3 years before it became junk. go to lazy boy and don't believe the salesman's speil

• charles lavender

secondly, the flex-steel warranty is worthless. I called them and they gave me the word that whatever happens, is on me

• charles lavender

Please listen! I had these replaced by the sales company 3 times and I still got this kinda product. the kids in my household are grandchildren here on limited visits, supervised and do not jump on the furniture. No animals to climb on furniture, we are both retired and care about the appearance and quality of our furnishings. I am sorry about the long rant but this is a very touchy area for me. thanks

• Valodi Foster

Please read the previous posts. Flexsteel used to be a quality product. This is no longer true. Do more research, spend a little more money if you have to, but why sign up for regrets from the get go? I am with Charles here, Please, just no!

• Jenn Ortiz

It is evident from reading some of these posts that many consumers do not reasearch thoroughly prior to purchasing. The Latitudes line is abysmal in quality (inferior fabrics and construction, not made in USA, not even made with all Flexsteel components, like the blue steel springs), but the American-made Flexsteel line is amazing. I have an 18 year old leather Flexsteel couch that i inherited. It has 3 recliners, and it is 100% leather all around. The leather has been regularly cleaned and conditioned, and is in amazing shape. The recliners weren't working well, so I called my local Flexsteel dealer (who did not sell us the furniture), told them a recliner was broken, and got the number of the local repairman, who is contracted by Flexsteel. For $35 he came out, assessed my sofa, and confirmed that all 3 recliner mechanisms should be replaced, and confirmed that they were covered by warranty. I merely have to pay for the labor ($75 per seat), and my couch will be refurbished. I confirmed that, even at 18 uears old, my cushions are indeed covered too. When I called Flexsteel directly, I was able to get a person on the phone, and while she was new and not super knowledgeable, she was friendly and helpful. Look, if they'll back up the warranty on an 18 year old sofa, I'm pretty stoked on their overall support.

• sushipup1

Nice that your 18 yr old sofa is covered by their warranty. But most companies today, 2018, are not meeting the same standards that they had 18 years ago. Sorta like saying that Grandma's old Maytag lasted forever, so therefore Maytag's purchased today will last forever. Not true.

• Valodi Foster

My old Flexsteel sofas are still gorgeous in my sister's home. The current sofa with sorry workmanship is evidence of Flexsteel's failure to live up to their once fine reputation. Sad, sad, sad!

• Jenn Ortiz

Well, per Flexsteel's website, their warranty is the same today (as it was for my 18 year old sofa) for all items that are not part of the Latitudes line of furniture. The fabrics are covered under a very limited warranty (against glaring defect), but the frame, mechanisms and foams have a lifetime warranty. Sorry, but the warranty hasn't changed...so it sounds like people are either dealing with the non-American Flexsteel line, or they're dealing with less than reputable dealers who might be selling refurbished or second rate product.

• Valodi Foster

We are dealing with Flexsteel corporate who allowed shoddy workmanship to leave the factory, they then made some repair, but refused to produce a reasonable quality product. If I were techy, I would attach pictures. It's clearly a workmanship issue. Very happy for you that your product experience is good. It's not a reputable dealer issue, it's a shoddy manufacturer issue for those of us out here that have been screwed by Flexsteel. When I spent serious money on a sectional, I expected a quality product. I am urging other consumers not to gamble on Flexsteel.

• Jenn Ortiz

What line of furniture is it, Valodi?

• Valodi Foster

Flexsteel 7305 Vail

• mjconti

It is ridiculous to say to 'research thoroughly'. It isn't always the fault of the consumer. How do you research a fabric offered by Flexsteel? How do you find out what company manufactures the fabric? And how does the fabric receive the unknown manufacturer's rating? You can't trust high ratings. You can 'thoroughly research' Flexsteel until the cows come home.... but there is no way to determine the fabric's wearability. But I realize now that it is advisable to avoid fabric with a high rayon content, and definitely avoid fabrics that contain cotton and/or linen. Mine was 39% rayon. Will stick with 100% polyester and/or nylon in the future and avoid Flexsteel altogether. Flexsteel told me they'd recover my chair & ottoman but I'd have to pay for it. It was barely over a year old.

I was so excited to get my new couch! I'm still using and loving my old Flexsteel sofa. But look what I got after doing what I thought was serious due diligence in measuring. This is how they have eliminated 2 fulls inches of depth from the seating. I'm very disappointed.

• katiescarlett71

I'm reading the reviews on Flexsteel and have to say how disappointed I am. I am in need of purchasing a sturdy sofa that will hold up under people of a larger size. Any suggestions?

I am looking for a good quality sleep sofa to replace one that is 20years old. Any suggestions as to what brands make a quality product? I like the leather look polyester because it is washable and looks to be durable, even if the dogs get on it. Comments about flex steel are very disappointing. The one I looked at looked good in the showroom. How can you tell where it is made before purchasing? I am in a small town so do not have a lot of showrooms to see products.

• Valodi Foster

Showroom models are often in great condition. Find one you like and search forums for reviews on the quality of products actually delivered. Good luck!

• charles lavender

take a drive, stay overnight and maybe rent a one way uhaul trailer. I promise that if you hunt a good sofa and don't limit it to the only store available, you'll be much happier. I have a couple of big kids in the neighborhood that will take the old one out and put in the new one for 20 a piece.

if you can tie it to sightseeing and relaxing, double win! good luck.

Valodi-

How do I find a forum? I have been looking at a Thorton sleeper with a pollster leather look covering. The one in the show room here is not my color preference, but I like the depth and comfort of it. It is a lot more expensive than most I see online, but I don't know if that is a normal price or not since it is hard to match anything in stores with online reviews which appear to apply to other models. also I don't know if lazyboy is any good. Can see that locally. although we do make the 200 mile trip to the city once a week (400 miles round trip) we have yet to have a free weekend togo look. I have had no lime for sightseeing for the past two three months but will get some time now with the holidays.

• Valodi Foster

This is one forum. Ask your question here and see what people say about Thornton. Also google "Thornton furniture complaints" and see if anything else pops that would be a place to ask your quality question.

• timmedo

DON'T BUY FLEXSTEEL - We bought a custom Flexsteel sectional (their high end set) in 1991 and it was great and lasted forever. We bought 5 sections for both a 10' coach and a love seat. In fact, we still have it in our vacation cabin. It was expensive but we were very pleased that it lasted forever and held up to daily use in the family room. We decided to buy the same set again in 2014 (with a different material). They look similar but the quality is terrible. It is now only 4 years old but needs to b replaced. I understand they are now making the furniture in Mexico, and it sure shows. Here is what we went thru. When delivered, there were holes in the material, so they where going to replace the pieces of material with the holes. After 3 visits to our house, they could not match the material, so back to the factory it went to recover the whole set. Now the material has all stretched, it has holes in it, and looks terrible. Please note that the kids are all out of the house and it has just been the two of us for many years.

Bottom line, due to the very poor quality, they had a customer for life, and lost us for life. Even though the couches were expensive they were worth it. Now they are not worth it at any price.

• charles lavender

of course its cheap, read the reviews and see why. the stuff is basically a cheap knockoff from lazy boy. NOT MADE IN AMERICA that's why I bought this stuff. The only part made in usa is the steel but springs, the rest is Chinese. I wouldn't do it again at half the price!

• doris1949

Thank you everyone for the comments. It's an eye-opener. I have found from this and other reviews many people complaining that previously reputable companies have gone downhill - Flexsteel is one, Lazy-Boy another. And we the consumers are paying for it. I will keep on looking but this is very discouraging.

I have put a dp on a flexsteel leather sienna sofa. After reading your reviewers comments, What

can I do at the point my retailer takes it out of shipping crate, to verify I have Genuine Leather on my sofa and loveseat? Should I hire the very best upholster in area to go with me to the "unveiling"? Many Thanks, Sabreman

• Zinoviy Margovskiy

Does anyone has experience with Flexsteel Dana furniture line in their Kashmira Fabric? Store claims it is made in the USA, and floor sample looks decent, but after reading all these reviews I am not sure now...

• Valodi Foster

Please BE SURE now that you've read the reviews. We took the time and energy to post reviews for a purpose...we did not want others to have the same experiences we did. Save your hard earned money, time and heart and purchase some other product. Good luck!

• Laurie Weiner

Never buy a fkexsreel furniture. We just bought two power recliners with power head rest. 1300 each so thought should be good quality. Arrived and very shoddy materials and workman ship. Must save the ones that turn out nice for photos and store. Budging/ bunching of leatleather on seat of my husbandschair.nhusband chair. With armsarms on both the left is taunt and right all wrinkly. Feels like stuffing lumpy and bumpy. Additionally after less than one week use I now have this round bubble on my seat that looks like and feels like something round under it. Fkexsreel rep says is a preference to have all congruent and no bumps and option is to piece the recliners back together in the shop. Was actually told by in store rep that if I wanted couch that had leather stitched well I should have essentially bought a quality couch. Rep was rude with no customer service. Yelled at my husband and very defensive.

• Kirk Fishback

I totally agree. Never, Ever buy flexsteel recliners. My wife and I bought 2 a couple of years ago. They were $1000. each and within a year the fabric was wearing out and springs on my wifes broke. We have a lazyboy that is 25 years old that was my wife's recliner and it still looks new. I also had a cheap Franklin and it lasted for over 15 years and when a spring broke I emailed Franklin and they immediately send me new springs. Flexsteel would neither back the fabric or send me new springs even though they supposedly have a lifetime warranty. They said I had to deal with the store I bought them from. Seems weird since they are the manufactures, not the store and the store would still have to go thru them and then I would have to drive for an hour to get the springs if they even replaced them which I am doubtful of. You can't even go to their website and complain. When you go to contact us page you can't even type in the blanks. This company is the worst. Stay away. They DO NOT back their products.

• Charity Armstrong

I have had a horrible experience with my Flexsteel leather living room furniture, for which I paid over $8,000. I made a complaint within the first few weeks of delivery. I have a recliner, sofa with chaise lounge, and loveseats. Initially they stated the cushions were under-stuffed. After replacing the cushions, they stated the leather is stretched from having under-stuffed cushions and the warranty team stated they would replace the leather. It has been over a month and the warranty people won’t even call me back or return my emails as they promised. The furniture store I bought it from tried and tried to get the pieces fixed, but the warranty team is just not any good. I initially requested the most stuffed option, to increase the firmness of the set. I am attaching a photo of the set after their warranty team repaired it. They were supposed to come back to replace the leather nearly two months ago, but have not returned or called me back. I requested warranty work weeks after delivery and it has been a year. We live a quiet lifestyle with a family of 3 small people, nobody in our family weighs over 160 pounds.

• Jane L

At least your furniture store is trying to help! I purchased my reclining sofa and chair at Stacy's Furniture in Grapevine, comparable in price to yours. When I complained about the problems with the furniture and the manufacturer, the Customer Service Representative told me "What do you want me to do? We can't guarantee the quality of all the furniture we sell". When I asked to speak to the manager, he informed me I was. I was stunned. So, we gave away the furniture and I vowed to never walk into a Stacy Furniture store again. What is hysterical is their sales jingle is "Like shopping with Family". Yeah, the cousin that tries to con you out of all your money..

I bought flexsteel leather sofa set 5000.00 before a year the seat was peeling. After awhile they replaced that. Now that my year warranty is off the arm is peeling Don’t waste your money.

• Janie Justesen
    last year

We purcha the flexsteel leather sofa, ott and chair. Well 4 years in the chair spring broke. Reorder it, (that part is warranty, not labor) looked easy enough to remove and reinstall. Nope! nightmare! My husband is taking it to an sofa shop . We are disappointed

• Lori Slone
    last year

After doing a bunch of research about how to buy sofas, sectionals in particular, I went out to a few stores to get a feel for the different brands and stores that sold them. I had already read some of the reviews about pretty much all of the "mid-price" furniture such as Lazboy & Flexsteel but wanted to see it in person. At Lazboy there wasn't a huge selection of sectionals and the only ones that might have worked didn't have loose back cushions which made me nervous, so I left and tried another store. This store had low-end to high-end Stickley which was way out of my price range so I looked at the Flexsteel sectionals. Honestly, for me, they are still out of my price range and even though they seemed extremely comfortable and I came armed with a ton of questions about the foam density, the frame, etc., I still came back to look at reviews and I am sooo glad I did because I can't believe how bad they are. Also, the crap about the warranty is just ridiculous. I read this article and it basically states that they are all written in a way that covers them so that they don't have to help or spend any money: Why you don’t need an Extended Furniture Warranty (simplicitysofas.com) Anyway, thanks to everyone who has left reviews on their experiences so that I don't make the same mistake. Now, I don't know what to do because it doesn't seem like there's any place reputable to buy a mid-priced quality couch anymore,

• Jane Sawyer
    last year

I am so glad you read the posted reviews and did not repeat our mistake. You made my day!

• Valodi Foster
    last year

Ditto! Hope you find a great product at a good price!

• Linda Benner
    last year

DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ! We bought a $2,600 dollar leather couch, so we thought, what happened is after 1.5 years went by I put my hand down between the leather cushions to clean. I was shocked to see that cheap vynal patch crap on the sides of the seat sections. I had tried this crap years ago when I was young trying to stop cracking on my old vynal buckets seats in my 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger. Did not work then, did not work now. It is pealing off revealing cracks in old stiff brittle vynal. We though we were getting a good quality couch for $2,600 dollars. Ok Leather, BUT, vynal cushion sides are old cracking vynal. We were told that Flexsteel was the best from the R&F sales woman. WrRONG, GARBAGE, PISSED OFF WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH THE FLEXSTEEL NAME AGAIN. Save your money and do not buy GARBAGE !

• awesomebill0101
    last year

When purchasing Flexsteel the Latitude collection is made in China, and Southaven is made in Juarez, Mexico. A lot of manufacturers use very little actual foam anymore. What you will find is Fiber Fill, which compresses fairly quickly and leaves you with a very uncomfortable piece of furniture. Flexsteel Latitude Leather Collection is low grade leather produced in China. Looks and feels great until well.

• Rita Hendricks
    last year

We purchased 2 Flexsteel leather motion ( power) recliners. After 18 months the leather is peeling. 2 adults live in our home, no kids.

Flexsteel said warranty is 1 year, too bad. Furniture store (Babettes, Leesburg fl says they arent responsible). paid more for the Flexsteel believing we were getting quality products. MISTAKE.

we had leather furniture from lazy boy that still looked brand new after 30 years.

Flexsteel is a joke. In addition, found our chairs are made in China. Looked at 3 tags on bottom of chairs. NEVER ever purchase Flexsteel

• bruccker
    last year

I am expecting delivery of a Flexsteel sectional tomorrow. The furniture store I bought it from has a 90 day return policy. After reading all these negative reviews, I'm glad I have a window for return if it is unacceptable. The sad part is that nearly every brand of furniture carries with it heaps of negative reviews. (Only found one brand that had good reviews, but they don't make a sectional that is right for my challenging room.) Same was true when I checked reviews for kitchen cabinet manufacturers. Talk about negative! If I avoid every brand of anything because of negative reviews, I will never be able to make a purchase! Quite frustrating. Gone are the days when you parted with a little more money for a quality product and knew for certain it would be good. I've concluded that we now have an array of choices that range from bad junk to better junk. I just hope I get the better junk.

• bruccker
    last year
    last modified: last year

The following link will take you to a great discussion about Flexsteel, but you will learn that the problems we consumers, who are looking at mid-range priced furniture, have are industry wide. The author is great about explaining why. It's worth your time to take a look: https://furnitureblog.simplicitysofas.com/blog/how-good-is-a-flexsteel-sofa/

I must be in the minority, but we bought Flexsteel sofas almost 10 years ago- we have pets and three kids and both the fabric and couch frames have withstood it all! it certainly doesnt look new anymore, but I would 100% rebuy these!

• tofuqueen

I bought a flexsteel sofa and loveseat 12 years ago and they are FABULOUS!! cushions have lots of people sitting on them and they are so comfortable and have never caved or not sprung back. i am now considering buying another sofa and loveseat. fabric still looks great!! I LOVE MY FLEXSTEEL FURNITURE 😊

• Michelle Brown

I hope we have this luck. we have been looking online for months!!!! for our newly renovated basement. it will get a lot of use with grandkids and animals. . we bought the Thorton collection, uppolstered. it looks like thier leather and reclining collections are the problem. expecting delivery on wednesday crossing fingers