Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

Sink advice - What size? 32 x 16' seems huge! Also faucet help.

15 years ago

Is a 32 x 16" undermount sink too big for a small kitchen? Am I wasting counter space?

I have a small, awkward, U-shaped 10' x 12' kitchen in an old house. The best we could do was place a 39" sink base and a dishwasher on a 10' wall.

I'm getting an undermount sink through my soapstone fabricator. I told him I wanted a single-bowl sink (since that's what I'm used to, and I frequently wash big cookie sheets and cutting boards). He suggested a sink that is about 32 x 16" (maybe a bit narrower, he didn't have the exact dimensions with him). I told him that seemed way too big, but he assured me that was the right size for the base, the space, and "that's what people like".

Do I need a big sink for the big sink base? That seems so huge! I have a really old 22 x 16 now, it seems "normal" sized to me. I little bigger would be nice.

I am also so confused about faucets. I found a good deal on one but was afraid to get it as it had an 11" spout reach, seemed like it would come out farther than the drain? Other have a spout reach of 9-3/4", is that what I should get?

The electrician is here today and I had to make a bunch of decisions so I'm a little spent. The sink and faucet are the last decisions, then I've decided to be happy with whatever happens. Time is running out to order on-line, as everything in happening so fast! I know that's a good thing, so I'm not complaining.

Comments (27)

• 15 years ago

Is 32" the interior dimension? If so, that's a big sink. As to counter space, if you keep a drainboard on your counter, you could actually save space with a sink that big because the dish drainer will fit in it quite nicely, freeing up that counter space. I agree that the bigger sink will look better in a 39" cabinet, but a smaller one would look fine too.

• 15 years ago

Ditto on what Cheri said about the dish drainer- especially in your smaller kitchen, you will adore having the extra counter space- and a big deep sink and hide lots of dirty dishes!!! :>) Also, are you going to have it positioned towards one side of the base- to gain shelf/storage space under the sink? Just thinking, that you could put some after market pull-out bins/shelves on one side to gain more storage. Have to run or I'd look some up online for you!

Hope this helps!

• 15 years ago

Currently, I have a large sink and I love being able to have the dish drainer in the sink and not on the counter. It is the first kitchen I've lived in where I can avoid having the drainer on the counter, and is one of the first things I'm aiming to keep in my kitchen remodel.

• 15 years ago

Doesn't the drainer only go in the sink if it's empty? How can you do the dishes without getting the stuff already in the drainer dirty or wet again. Sorry to sound so dumb!

Anyone have a picture of such a large sink? Would this size really look best in a 39" base? This sink is under a window, Should the base be centered under the window, or the sink? AARGH!!!

• 15 years ago

I have a similar size kitchen and a soapstone sink & countertop. One of the stock "standard size" farm sinks is a "chicago wright" style at 30 x 18.5 x 10 inches (outside diameter) & this is what I had built & put in. The size is about right. With a gooseneck faucet you can get about anything in it & clean it up without feeling cramped. 32" is pretty good sized...I'm not feeling like I wish I had the extra couple inches. I think the 16 inches wide would better at 18.

• 15 years ago

Is this a corner sink or a "standard" sink?

If it's a "standard", is this a done deal? Is there a reason you're getting such a large sink base if your sink doesn't need it? a 32" sink should only need a 33" sink base...freeing up 6" for a 6" filler pullout that could be used for all sorts of things.

If you're concerned that the sink itself is too big, measure all your trays & cutting boards...what's the longest length? Add two inches and make that your sink width. However, if you have only one bowl, I think you may want the wider sink! Yes, you're used to a smaller sink...but one of the reasons to remodel is to make things better!

Good luck!

• 15 years ago

Maureen, many people with large single bowl sinks use a dishpan to wash dishes...this saves on water and allows other dishes to sit in the sink at the same time. The other thing you can do is put the drainer on the counter while washing up and then once the sink is emptied put the drainer in the sink to finish air drying the dishes.

I also have to agree w/Guy_In_NewHouse that if you can get an 18" horizontal depth it would be better...but make sure whatever faucet you pick will fit behind the sink and that you can manipulate the handle fully..WITH the backsplash tile/material (if you'll have a BS other than just painted). You don't want the handle, for instance, to hit the back wall.

What's the vertical depth? 9"?

Faucet: With a wide sink, you might want to consider the faucet w/the greater reach to reach more of the sink....especially if you get the 32"x18". However, if you get a pull down or pull out that has a decent hose length, you'll probably do fine with either reach. BTW...Do you know where the drain will be? Centered? Offset toward the back?

Do keep in mind, though, the scale of the faucet should fit the scale of the sink. If you put a small faucet with a big sink the faucet will probably look "wrong".

HTH!

• 15 years ago

It's up to you and how you use it: I had to convince my GC that I didn't need a huge sink. I've always had a single sink, and we don't put dirty dishes in it - they go in the dishwasher, or are stacked neatly to one side while waiting for the dishwasher to be emptied.
    My GC said be sure I can fit my largest cookie sheet in the sink. Well, I have small cookie sheets, and use baking parchment, so they don't need soaking.

What I'm saying is, everyone ones uses their stuff differently. I made cardboard cut-outs of the different sizes, so that I could really see whether I needed the really big one, or the smaller one I actually chose.

• 15 years ago

This is a standard sink. The cabinets are already here and stacked in my hallway.

This kitchen is an awkward space. We were trying to put the sink under the window, next to the dishwasher. There wasn't enough room on either side to do anything with, so we went with a wider sink base with 3" of filler to the left of the sink and 3" to the right of the DW.

The corners both will have blind corner cabs, which I know are not popular, but they will be fine for me. I blew the budget on extra drawers and some pull-outs, and cabs to the ceiling.

Does anyone have of pics where the sink is not centered in the cabinet? Thanks!

• 15 years ago

Personally, I would want the base centered under the window, the sink centered in the base and the faucet centered on the sink. There were a few threads that showed pics of sinks and faucets that weren't centered but they're old and have probably dropped off.

Because of where the sink is positioned, getting a smaller sink probably won't make a noticeable difference in counter space whereas the big sink will be so much better to work in. I agree with others, though, on getting one 18" wide especially with soapstone. In fact, with a 39" base, I'd get a blano super single. I love that big sink! The granite around my undermount sink (21 x 15.5") is all chipped up from banging it with large pots and pans. I'm getting a wider sink so there's less chance to bang up my new soapstone counters.

• 15 years ago

Maureen -- I am having a 32" single-bowl for the simple reason I used one for a week at my son's home in Oregon last October and simply feel in love with it. No longer having to have the drainer sitting on the counter to hold the pots, pans,and items that I never put in the DW. These sinks have grates that fit nicely inside about 2" from the bottom and your pots can simply dry resting inside the sink. I also found "towels" on line called ShamWow that are supposed to be extremely absorbant and will use them on the counter too if I have too many items that spill out onto the counter. My sinkbase is 39" for the 32" sink. KD said you need at least 7 inches extra for the sink. I just bought a fairly large goose-neck faucet with at least a 9" extension.
    Maureen in MA

• 15 years ago

Huge single bowl sinks are great. We use our dishwasher to wash almost everything (uses less water, actually), so we don't use dishracks. My old huge single-bowl sink came with some fun accessories-- a basket that I could use for washing produce or putting glasses/small dishes in to dry and a grid, which kept the pots and plates off of the bottom of the sink so the water could drain. It also came with a cutting board, which like the basket, fit into the rim of the sink.

You'll really enjoy it and I don't think you'll miss the 6" or so of countertop that you would have had with a smaller sink. It is great to be able to hide all the dishes from a 12-person dinner party in the sink along with a stock pot.. from across the room it looks empty.

• 15 years ago

Maureen (MA) - What faucet did you buy?

I do want everything centered, I remember that thread but couldn't find it.

I'm going to try Sara's cardboard cut-out idea, maybe the sink isn't as monstrous as I'm thinking.

If you guys love it, I'll probably love it too.

As Buehl wrote: "one of the reasons to remodel is to make things better!" I just dislike change. I was lucky enough to get a a new car last year but still miss my beat up 15-year-old station wagon.

• 15 years ago

Maureen, my sink will not be centered. I did ths because it enabled me to sneak another cabinet in and also gave me more work area b/w sink and stove. At first the thought of it bothered me but it will also make my kitchen function more for ME. Here is a picture of my layout to give you an idea. The colors are not right my island will be painted. They are not being installed till next week so I can't post a real picture. Hope this helps.

• 15 years ago

Maureen, I bought a Graff (G-4120) but not in the finish depicted in the picture. I chose a brushed nickel. I was also able to get a soap dispenser that matched it exactly, but made by another company -- go figure!
    Maureen in MA
    {{gwi:1582268}}

• 15 years ago

Marybeth1,

What software did you use for the picture of your kitchen.
    All the designers I've been to just give me a black and white sketch. I would be able to get a better idea of my kitchen with a picture like yours. I'm having a hard time deciding between two ideas and having a picture like that would help.

• 15 years ago

mbarstow...your KD told you you need 7" extra in the sink base???? Do you have a farm/apron sink? If not and it's a standard undermount sink you definitely do not need 7 extra inches!

• 15 years ago

Maureen - that is a really pretty faucet! I'm researching it next. Thanks
    Maureen in Md

• 15 years ago

Buehl ~ the sink will be installed into a corner base cabinet, which I understand is the reason for the extra 7". There is even some consideration that the sides might have to be cut. I will not buy the sink until the corner cabinet is installed and then see where we are.

• 15 years ago

Maureen, It was given to me by a kitchen place I was thinking of getting my cabinets from. I had given him a sketch of what I wanted and he sent me that with the quote. I ended up going with custom. I don't know what software he used but I'm sure there's allot of good ones out there maybe someone can chime in with a suggestion.

• 15 years ago

Ahh!! That explains it, mbarstow! Our corner sink also had to have a much larger cabinet. We have a 15-3/4" square prep sink in a 36" corner sink base. We could have gone to 24" sink, but I didn't want to take up the counter space.

Maureen, some people here use Better Homes & Gardens Architect Pro (or similar name) and can produce amazing layouts and elevation pics!

I know in our case our KD only had B&W drawings as well (she used 20/20) but others here mocked up my kitchen while we were hashing out the layout and I knew my finishes would look great! Even B&W elevations, though, can help w/cabinet choices...I had originally picked a cabinet door that I like that had a slab drawer paired with it. I hadn't considered what the drawers looked like even though most of my base cabinets are drawers. Then I saw a mockup/elevation of my selected door style with my cabinets and I was shocked! I hated it! I was able to avoid a very devastating mistake just seeing those elevations!

• 15 years ago

buehl wrote: Maureen, many people with large single bowl sinks use a dishpan to wash dishes...this saves on water and allows other dishes to sit in the sink at the same time.

Yup! That's exactly it. I have a plastic rectangular tub against one sink end (tub is 16" long, which fits the short side of the sink, and 13" wide) and a plastic dish drainer against the other end that is about 12" wide. That leaves 5 inches in between them, where the drain is in the center. I get the things I'm washing all soapy and washed in the tub, then put them in the drain, rinse them off with the sprayer and then let them sit and air dray.

I don't wash many items this way. Normally just things that have funky shapes that don't fit into the dishwasher well, or that I don't think will clean up well in the dishwasher. Having a large single bowl sink enables me to work this way. YMMV of course!

• 15 years ago

Maureen,

I cannot comment on a single bowl sink, as I have always had (and liked) double bowl, but I dont think that a 32"x16" sink is a waste AT ALL. I have a 11x13 kitchen, and the old sink was a double bowl with the same size for both bowls, with the total SINK size of about 24"x15". I now have a double bowl with one large and one small, total SINK size 32"x19" and I cannot tell you how much I love it. It was a minimal loss of counter space for the bigger sink, and it has been a really useful change.

• 15 years ago

I guess I have a different take on things - my sink sounds like many folk's 'before' but I love it!! With a kitchen of only 10X11, my design was based on my priority of maximum counter space and cabinet storage. The large double bowl sink was replaced with a 21 X 16 single bowl solid surface matching the counter, and it fits the scale of my room very well. The small size allowed me to flank the sink with a bank of four 18" drawers on one side and a 15" cab with pullouts on the other. Additionally, because the garbage disposer and dishwasher were disposed of and not replaced- I was able to fit in eleven drawers total, including a 30" cab with deep drawers. (not counting under sink space.) Yes, I must wash my dishes by hand, but I am happy to do so to get the extra work and storage space. Have never banged anything on the sink, but there is one large broiler pan that is a little awkward to wash. However, I only use it occasionally - have no regrets!!! I would recommend the obvious - that you figure out what is most important to you!! ps my sink is located in front of the window, but neither it nor the tall pull-out faucet is exactly centered, (cabs on one side are 3" wider) but it looks very nice anyway. - Penny G.

• 15 years ago

My old drop in sink rim to rim was 33 x 22", this is pretty standard for drop in double sinks.
    I replaced it with 36" farm sink and 34" inside width, I only lost 1" of counter space. It's a huge upgrade.

• 15 years ago

Kitchen is L shaped - this is the only sink. I cannot evaluate whether the 30 inch will be too big in my 13 x 9 foot area. My husband is concerned about losing counter space - I keep going back and fore. Can anyone help with the scale thing?

• 15 years ago

Look in the FKB at the corner sinks. There are also a couple of threads addressing corner sinks. Personally, I think a corner is often the place with the most wasted space. you really don't lose much usable counter space if the sink is place in the corner. I spoke with a KD yesterday regarding sizes of sinks in various sizes of courner bases. He told me that a 25 inch sink fits into a 36 inch base, a 27 in a 39 inch base and a 30-31 in a 42 inch base. He stated that the only kind he seriously steere customers away from are the batwing sinks. You have small double sinks and a divider in the middle but less real usable sinks space. I would seriously just go to HD or Lowes and talk to a KD about your plans. I have been asking these people questions and they know I am not purchasing a design from them. All have been helpful and some have even walked around their design centers and explained why some sinks fit some spaces and why some appliances fit certain spots, why it is best to have the range along the same wall as a sink as opposed to having it on an opposing wall.... Many are full of good info.