Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Where do you keep your infrequently used small appliances?

12 years ago

A few years ago I banned myself from buying any more small appliances. I don't think I have an unreasonable amount, but my current kitchen is small so I have to keep a lot of stuff stored in boxes in the basement- not fun at all! I'm trying to make a list of everything I need to store in my new kitchen so that I can make an attempt at picking the right cabinets.

Here are a few appliances I'm not sure about...

- small and large food processor

- waffle irons (i have 3)

- pizelle maker

- griddler by cuisinart

- bread machine

- electric skillet

They are "small" appliances, but they take up a lot of storage space. The pizelle maker only gets used at Christmas, and the rest of the appliances get used about once every month or two. My more frequently used appliances (hand mixer, blender, toaster, stand mixer, coffee maker, etc) are much easier to find storage/counter space for.

So where do you keep all of your infrequently used small appliances?

Comments (21)

• 12 years ago

I store my infrequently used appliances (waffle iron, blender, rice maker, citrus juicer) in a deep drawer out of my main cooking/prep zones. My food processor gets used more often than those others, but not enough to get a spot on the counter so I store that in my corner Susan across the aisle from my prep zone on the outer limits of my cooking zone. Besides, the thing is a commercial unit so its large and not attractive enough for a starring role on the counter. The small fp is stored in there also along with the toaster.

The only two small appliances I leave out are the espresso machine and stand mixer, which live in a corner on the counter. The EM gets used every day. The commercial stand mixer doesn't but it's too large and heavy to put away.

• 12 years ago

We have a walk in pantry for rarely used appliance storage.

• 12 years ago

My island has storage on both sides. The farthest-away-side is full height (no drawer on top) 18" deep cabinets that house the stand mixer, blender, waffle iron, small espresso machine, stock pot, and other large and infrequently used items.

• 12 years ago

Corner super susan...holds two (one big, one little) slow cookers, salad spinner, immersion blender, Oster blender and milk shake jar for it, cuisinart, hand mixer, two waffle irons, food scale, grater, HUGE bowls and colander.

• 12 years ago

I also have a tiny kitchen - I really pared down when we did our renovation. I even got rid of my coffee maker and replaced it with a French press since that can be kept in a cupboard instead of on the counter. The only appliance on my counter is a toaster. Microwave is in a cutout in the island. Food processor and blender are in a pullout in the island since they get used regularly. Everything else (blender, mini-prep, mixer, etc) is in the basement, on my OCD-organized shelving. I just have no space for it.

• 12 years ago

Combo of spots...two cabinets, each with 2 pullouts for some of my appliances (Large Cuisinart slow-cooker which I use fairly frequently), large platters and serving trays I can stack, small juicer, smoothie maker, portable mixer, blender, big bowls); walk-in pantry gets the stand mixer (don't use it much), steamer (same). I also use the end of the pantry shelves for large roasting pans, coffee urns, and some other seldom-used or tall items that don't really fit in the cabinets. I have a pretty large kitchen with lots of counter and cabinet space but I do love my deep drawers and pullouts.

• 12 years ago

Melissastar- you can really store all that in a super susan?!? I'm amazed. Im still trying to decide how to handle my one corner.

idrive- we're still trying to configure our island. DH thought I was nuts for suggesting cabinets with doors on the side where people sit, but I think it could be useful for these items. Is that how your island is configured? Or do you have no seating?

As you all list where you keep things, you remind me of all the other things I have to store!!! It's hard to remember all the items I use infrequently. DS would be devastated if I lost the electric juicer and he couldn't help me make lemonade. Lol.

Those of you who store items in the walk in pantry, do you keep them in boxes or baskets? I'm a bit of a neat freak. We're going to have a corner closet pantry I bet I'll keep some of these items in.

Thanks so much for ideas. :-)

• 12 years ago

Mom23Es...yup, in fact I forgot the sifter is in there too and probably I few other things. It is pretty well packed, but everything I need at all frequently is accessible (fancy blades for cuisinart are in the middle...but easy to get to once the cuisinart itself is out.) The trick was measuring carefully to get the placement of the upper shelf exactly right and making sure it is a super susan...no pole and shelves rotate independently. That allows you to put things on the bottom shelf that just clear the top shelf. There's no need for "lifting out space" because you rotate the shelf to put what you want at the door and the upper shelf has the cutout there.

• 12 years ago

Another super susan user, although I have not yet moved back into my new kitchen; hence, I am not sure what will all fit there.

There's no need for "lifting out space" because you rotate the shelf to put what you want at the door and the upper shelf has the cutout there.
    Melissa, I hadn't thought about that! Great point.

• 12 years ago

We have many of our small appliances in the 2 super susans but I wanted plenty of storage space so we put four 30" wide by 40" high cabinets in our peninsula. This backs up to the sink/dishwasher. They are great for extra storage. We also put the TV on the wall by the peninsula so we used one of the cabinets for DVDs and such. We have 4 bar height stools in front of these cabinets. Works really well for us and gives tons of extra storage. I figured why just have a back on the cabinet, we might as well make it functional.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peninsula Storage

• 12 years ago

I don't remember who it was on the forum, but someone had posted pics of their finished kitchen where they had designed the interior of one of their upper cabinets to house all those smaller appliances--griddle, waffle maker, electric skillet, etc. If I remember right, it was the cabinet over the double ovens.It was sheer genius! Maybe someone else on the forum will remember who it was.

I keep the food processor on the top shelf of the base cabinet next to the range, the electric skillet and indoor grill on the bottom roll out shelf in one of the island cabinets, the waffle maker, griddle, etc are all stored in the pantry as I use them less often.

Hope this helps!

• 12 years ago

My infrequently used ones are stored in my big closet with my other food processing equipment. That includes my four pressure canners, meat and grain grinder, meat slicer, tortilla maker and the steamer, though I think I'd use the steamer more if I moved it and stopped forgetting I own it.

I keep my vacuum sealer there, and the big crock pot and 18 qt electric roaster. I also have a blender in there that I about never use. I keep the cast iron there, it's for emergency use on the wood stove if the electricity goes out.

The rest are in the kitchen, and I made lots of extra storage for them as I'm a small appliance junky.

Belgian waffle iron
    Electric skillet
    Rice maker
    two crock pots
    Electric wok
    Ice cream maker (not used that often though)
    Two stand mixers (one is heavy duty for making bread)
    hand held mixer
    stick blender
    Coffee grinder

The coffee maker is the only item that stays out on the counter

Not long ago we finally got the window seat done, and that gave me three more drawers for storage. Right now they have my cake pans and other baking equipment that was overflowing from other areas.

At one time I though I could store everything in the kitchen, but I keep finding more stuff I want for the kitchen.

• 12 years ago

Coffee maker and microwave sit on countertop. The mixer, blender, and food processor sit on counter next to one another. I hope to make bags to cover the latter once I have fabric leftovers after making roman shades.--If I don't like these baggy covers, I'll just set them aside, but I did use the such covers in my old kitchen and appreciated having the appliances be dust-free and ready to use. Blender doesn't get much attention during winter, so I could put it away after garden season is finished.

Toaster sits on countertop on opposite side of kitchen, next to refrig and sandwich station. If there's sufficient fabric, it will also get a bag for its head.

Our crock pots, dehydrators, portable lidded oven, additional everyday coffee maker, and pasta maker sit in the pantry closet. Our induction hot plate lives in top drawer next to the range but I might rethink this and put it into closet also. Stick blender lives in baking supplies drawer.

I have a new non-electric mandoline but haven't used it yet. Lives in the closet, for now.

• 12 years ago

In a pantry room just off the kitchen on open shelving

• 12 years ago

Another super susan here. i store my toaster, large and small food processor, small salad spinner, immersion blender, regular blender, small and large collander, coffee grinder and probaly more I'm forgetting plus if I'm correct there's space for more!

Our kitchen is small (no island and no pantry or closet) so the super susan really was our best option for the corner. Without the pole it is a very nice sized space for all of our small apploances.

• 12 years ago

The top shelf of one of the uppers. Not easy to reach but for occasional use, worth the effort of pulling the footstool out. Base cabinets for me are premium space and I need them for more frequently used things.

• 12 years ago

Current kitchen, everything is on the top shelf of the pantry: hot-air popcorn popper, blender, food processor, ice cream maker, citrus juicer.

New kitchen, the blender will go in magic corner or super Susan storage; everything else goes down onto (clean, well-labeled, accessible) basement shelving.

• 12 years ago

If you have room put the pizelle maker with your Christmas decorations.

• 12 years ago

Mine are in the bottom of an antique cabinet that is in the dining room. It's easy to get to them if I need them, but I don't use them more than about once a month.

Anything used more often is in the kitchen, and if it's used daily it's on the counter.

If I used something as seldom as once a year, it would be in the garage or the basement.

• 12 years ago

In the knee-space of the island seating. There's a stove and 24" deep cabinets facing east, and a row of stools facing west, with a 15" overhang. We didn't want to put the stools within arm's reach of the burners, so there's a 12" deep cabinet that opens into the knee space (total countertop 24+12+15). That 12" deep space isn't quite enough for the electric skillet, but fit the other stuff just fine: knife sharpener, fondue pots, extra crockpot, the food processor accessories I never use, the blender, etc. Electric skillet had to go in a random other space.

Most people I know who use a bread machine as their main bread source keep it always plugged in, in a heatproof accessible place, but far from the active countertop. Including one friend who keeps hers in the laundry room - it doesn't matter where the base is, just bring the bucket to the kitchen to fill with ingredients.