Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karpet_gw

What's everyone working on this week?

13 years ago

I hope to, plan to, really really want to finish my last 8 blocks on my 2 wedding quilts tonight. I thought I would be at this point a month ago so I am a little disheartened, but hope to press through and get those done so I can assemble the tops and get these finished! I'm wondering if senility is setting in - I keep all my fabrics out for the quilt I'm working on, and last night I went to straighten up and start thinking about what to use for the binding, and one of my fabrics is gone, just gone. I would have no reason to move it, or take it somewhere else until I put the remainder away. It is just no where to be found. I was hoping a great revelation would come over night to remind me of having done something with it, but no such luck. Oh well, I just hope it doesn't show up in my freezer or something!

So, what are you all working on?

Karlene

Comments (18)

• 13 years ago

Trying to keep up with a bunch of small projects - birthday blocks, 2 round robins, a few block swaps from another group...not to mention getting ready for Christmas! :( I have at least 4 quilts I'm doing for some of my day care kids & would love to get to an OSU wallhanging for my DH - he's been asking for one for a few yrs now. Which means putting together any more of my lotto quilts has been pushed back to after the holidays! My mom asked me to finish a primitive throw she had started, but doesn't like. The blocks are all done & assembled, but the borders all get a lot of applique. I'm doing it by machine, but it has over 200 separate pieces - !! She hasn't decided if it will be a gift from both of us, or a charity quilt - so I work on it from time to time just in case I need it by Christmas! I think other than that, I'm not doing anything. (Except the usual women's stuff...)

~Cindy

Actually I'm really tired...isn't a nap in my future??!!

• 13 years ago

I was traveling, then getting ready for company - major painting in less then a week - (what was I thinking????),major house cleaning (even the rooms no one but the dog uses-silly- --everything random gets thrown in my office/sewing room. I am trying to straighten it up so I can find important things - like the unopened mail, fabric also - for a project...I know it is in there somewhere!!!!

I will be mailing my Birthday blocks tomorrow, finishing a child's quilt for a Salvation Army Bear that I also have to dress. Anyone have a quick and easy pattern for the Bear?

I also have to work - like earn a paycheck work.....busy week and I am tired.

• 13 years ago

I'm making the blocks for a baby girl quilt. I am going to do one for a boy using the same pattern. I'm hoping to get the girl top done before the weekend. I also need to make and bottle up some jam and finish bottling the last of the beets.

~Geraldine

• 13 years ago

I'm in crunch mode to complete 3 bindings by THursday morning! Got the twin done last night, and the wallhanging ready now...then one more about 74" x 74". I promised they be in the guild's quilt show this weekend, so now have to get them done.

Problem is, since I'm short on time, I'm doing a quick whip stitch, just to get them done. That means, next week, I'll have to take them all out and do them a 2nd time the right way! I hate doing things twice!!!

• 13 years ago

You people with all your projects makes me look bad! My one and only is getting near to being quilted, then I will bind it. A two color Amish-style quilt, (black and maroon). I am hand-quilting it but not with regular quilting thread. The fabric is very heavy and tightly woven linen. So I'm using cotton crochet thread (thicker) and a craft needle (bigger eye). I backed it with flannel so I decided to leave out the middle batting layer. It will be heavy and warm enough, and there would have been no way I could have hand-quilted it with it in there. When it is done I'll post a photo. After that I have NOTHING planned or started, it will be a CLEAN slate! And a butt-load of fabric just waiting for an idea! I won't let myself start thinking ahead until this is done. That's how I work, numerous ongoing projects make me cranky!

• 13 years ago

Do lots of ongoing projects do that? - no wonder I'm so cranky.

I have many sitting around and I pick up one on a whim. I'm trying to finish an applique Celtic wreath so I can add it to a pile waiting for the FMQ and move on to a redwork project I'm anxious to tackle. Lots of FMQ sitting here staring at me and I'll get on that when the bug bites me. The retreat inspired me and I will try and keep up the momentum. And I have a new idea in my head for a quilt that hasn't firmed up yet. I always have more ideas than I have time and materials.

• 13 years ago

I am trying to keep things simple between now and Christmas, by only having 1 quilt project to work on and complete by Christmas - my mom's canning jar applique lap quilt (20 9-inch blocks). Am doing it all by hand so is a little slow go. I have a back burner Card Tricks queensize quilt that I have been working on since January 2009, but it may be after Christmas, before I start working on it again. I have like 66 blocks out of 80 made for it so far. Well off to applique.

Best to you,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• 13 years ago

Oh and also to break the applique monotony, I have been looking up free quilt patterns online, and am printing them for future use.

Best to you,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• 13 years ago

Karlene I found some Christmas fabric I had been looking for in a chest of drawers in my bedroom. I have no idea why I put It there!
    Marsha I have to start cleaning but my sewing room is a disaster (as usual) and I don't have time to clean if I want to finish my quilt.
    I'm with Linda, no wonder I'm cranky lol!!!! I want to learn redwork but it will be after the New Year.
    Rita you are just way too organized, I would love to see pics of the quilt you are working on.
    Oh, I forgot! I am working on a scrappy Irish chain for my sis.
    Rosa

• 13 years ago

I am sewing the binding on a quilt for my sister in law which I'm doing while watching TV. Today I sewed the backing together so that I can sandwich a quilt for my sister. Both of these are Christmas presents. While in Maine last week I visited a quilt shop in Bar Harbor and bought a Advent calendar panel. So I really want to start on it but really NEED to get sis's quilt quilted. However, tomorrow I will probably work on a Birthday Block for a new quilt friend whose BB is next week.
    Darlene

• 13 years ago

Today is hubby's birthday (he's working till 7:30) so in a while I'm headed in the kitchen to make peanut butter brownies and then cook his favorite dinner (chicken in sour cream sauce).

Quilt-wise, I'm trying to get some inspiration for my guild challenge quilt. So far the brain isn't working at it very hard! LOL

Donna

• 13 years ago

I am working on a quilt kit that I bought years ago when I first began to quilt. The directions were rather confusing for a beginner and I never started it. Last week I got it out and cut the fabric into strips. There was one strip 7 1/4 inches to be sub-cut into squares. There were also some 6 1/2 inches strips to be cut into 3 1/2 X 6 1/2 inch rectangles.
    You guessed it...I cut the 7 1/4 inch strip into rectangles. I did not have enough fabric to recut that size strip. What to do? I knew I would never be able to match the fabric so I played around with it and was able to rescue it. I needed to make flying geese with this fabric and I now have all of the FG made and they are the correct size.
    So...now on to finishing the quilt top.
    Linda OH

• 13 years ago

Well, I'm working on the same projects I was this time last year. What does that mean?????????

• 13 years ago

I am paper piecing a robin for our guild's 2nd prize quilt. I also have to make a Sun Bonnet Sue block for a guild friend. I am not fond of SBS but that is her theme. I thought of doing a Bad Sue block but she says the quilt will be for a little girl so will have to do a sweet Sue! I would like to get a few blocks made for the Oct Lotto but will play that by ear. And I continue to handquilt small projects.

• 13 years ago

Besides the 2 lg. boxes of apples that were given to me--which need doing--I am trying to finish up my baby quilt, top is together but needs some appliques put on. Fitting in some BD blocks for next year--one is done and fabric picked for #2. My friend suggested we spend 1 day this wk. fabric shop hopping--probably Fri. If I get the baby q. done I have to trim and bind my bed quilt that I have been quilting all summer. AND of course Sylvia's BQ is always setting there making me feel guilty!! Unfortunately I will most likely being doing the same next week!!

• 13 years ago

It looks like everyone is as busy as I am! I just wish I was busy doing some sewing of some kind. I have to work late tonight, but I've spent the rest of the week getting ready for a camping trip on Thursday. The camper hasn't been used in a year and the mice had fun enjoying it instead, so I spent time on Sunday cleaning up their mess. I did get my dd's rabbit halloween costume cut out and it is ready to be put together. So, I guess that's my project for early next week. I plan on making some tic-tac-toe quilts for the younger members of my family for Christmas. I have all the supplies, I just need the time to cut and assemble them. Time seems to be a rare commodity these days.

• 13 years ago

I'm working on a Christmas tablecloth and wall hanging for our hospital craft stall in November - only some hand quilting and the binding to do. Today I actually finished one of my 2011 birthday blocks, as a break from the hand qilting. I've also got another tablecloth to finish for my sister in law's birthday in December.

Kristene (TinyTeena)

• 13 years ago

I was going to come on last night and do some moaning - I was working on finishing the last 8 blocks, and, I RAN OUT of the fabric! I was piecing ever piece together that I could, and it just wasn't enough. I was so down - it was a fabric I picked up at an estate sale this summer so it was older and I was sure it would not even be carried by stores now. I was sooo grumpy though, that I sent myself to bed to get a better perspective. Well, had to go with DD#2 this afternoon for fabric for her halloween outfit (Lafonda - it's probably the last one I'll do for awhile, will kind of miss doing the dress-up costumes) and guess what, guess what! I found the EXACT fabric that I ran out of last night! There was just a little over a yard so I took the end of the bolt. It is a silly thing, but I was so thankful.

Cindy - what is the OSU wallhanging (college team?)You make me tired just thinking of 200 pcs of applique! Do you and your mom work on alot of quilts together - I mean, do you complement each other with what each prefers to do, like one does piecing and the other applique?

magothyrivergirl - You sound like me with giving yourself a tight schedule on taking on a painting project - I need to tackle a couple of those, but it will probably take a big event to move me into action. My house really needs a deep cleaning - I usually do it in the fall for when my parents come to visit, but this fall we went to see them so I am really behind.

Jennifer - it's Wednesday night. I'm thinking of you as you work on those 3 bindings! Oh my! I hope your night is not too late! (I hate having to do things 2x also)

toolgranny - I know what you mean about needing to wait for the bug to bite. I can slog through some things when I don't really feel like it, but it goes so much better when I'm in the zone.

Sandra - I think you are very smart to keep it simple till after Christmas - I'm such a procrastinator and it is tiring.

petalpatsy - What does it mean that you're still working on the same projects? It means they are some of your masterpieces!

Well, I still can't find my missing fabric, but I'm so thankful to have the fabric I need to finish the blocks - off to the cutting table!
    Karlene

(I'm tired too! It seems to be a theme for most of us - do you think it's the time of the year??)