chgojudyinaz

Reasonable fix for soundproofing paper thin walls?

chgojudyinaz
7 years ago

We can easily carry on a conversation on either side of the wall between 2 bedrooms. It is 16" OC, 2 x 4 wood stud, 1/2" drywall, with no insulation. We would like to improve the soundproofing of this wall by doing work on just one side of it.

Does anyone have advice/experience on the technique that will give me the best balance of sound absorbing improvement for a reasonable cost (not necessarily lowest cost), with less disruption/mess?

We would like to not have to remove the drywall for additional framing, resilient channels, etc. I have read about GreenGlue, QuietRock, and blown in cellulose insulation. I know that foam insulation is not good for sound dampening.

Would adding 5/8 TypeX drywall with GreenGlue or QuietGlue to the existing 1/2" on one side of the bedroom wall give me as good a result as adding a layer of the QR500 QuietRock that Lowes sells?

We don't need theater room-levelsoundproofing -- just not be able to hear conversation/TV from one room to another. Even hearing very low muffled sound would be better than it is now.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (13)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268