Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deltabreeze

Master bed redo: feedback on arrangement options

14 years ago

WeÂre at that in between stage when you lug furniture, lamps and artwork from all around the house and say "Hmm. . . does this work?"

So far, we have gone from this . . .

BEFORE

To this . . .

We are experimenting with art and furniture placement and trying to mostly use stuff that we already have. Here are some of our better options. The picture above shows the windowless EAST wall. It is 15 feet long and is the first thing you see as you walk into the room. I was thinking about restaining the table on the left (to a dark color) and putting a yellow gold slipcover skirt on the chair (to soften the legginess). Do you think the pheasant picture (there now) or the barn painting (below) look better? Also, what do you think about the placement of the tree?

{{!gwi}}

The bed is up against the SOUTH wall. The windows and shutters emphasize the squareness of the room. I was thinking about putting this round mirror (now on the bed) up onto the wall. (It would reflect a nice view from across the way.) Alternatively, I could put the barn painting up there.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This WEST wall is tricky. I would like a chair in the corner between the bed and the wall. The red one (see pic above is a bit crammed. This blue glider is comfy and narrow, but silly looking. I could make a slipcover for it, but it wouldnÂt be easy. Also, what should we put on this WEST wall? The barn painting or the abstract (in the picture two down)?

{{!gwi}}

Finally, the NORTH wall has a nice view of trees and the garden. The shutters are open every day, so we donÂt have much wall space to play with. I was thinking about hanging a small TV on the part of the wall to the LEFT of the north window (where the abtract painting is below) and putting a small chest or plant below it.

{{!gwi}}

If you have other suggestions, I sure could use them. The wall color is EKÂs lichen (green-blue-grey). We may get an area rug. Because of allergies, any bedding I get must be washed in hot water weekly  so I wonÂt be doing fancy pillows!

Comments (14)

• 14 years ago

First, let me say that I just love your new wall color choice. It's so soothing, yet light and cheerful for the room. Your idea of staining the table darker is also a well thought out improvement, as would add some softness to the chair. The painting I would place on the east wall would be the one that is now resting on the table in the second picture, (the pheasant, I believe). The round mirror would look perfect hung low above the headboard. Then I'd put the barn painting on the west wall, and a chest with TV on the north wall, facing the bed. Sorry, but I don't feel that the abstract painting should be anywhere in the room, the colors don't add to the present color scheme and the style of art conflicts with everything else you have displayed. I'd find another place for that one somewhere else in the house.

I love what you've done so far, and you seem to have already pretty well figured out what would be most attractive for the room. Please hang the pheasant painting centered on the wall, and keep the plant where it is. The rocker doesn't do anything for the room, perhaps you could wait until you find just the "right" chair in CL for that corner spot.

• 14 years ago

I love what you've done with the windowless East wall.

• 14 years ago

Hi Squirrel. Yes, the room is finally moving in the right direction.

nanny2a -- Thanks for your help.You mean hang the pheasant painting centered over the table, right? The table itself is quite off center in the room (see the second to the last photo). Also, any suggestions as to the color for the great CL chair find? (I have been looking).

• 14 years ago

My first thought would be to put the bed on the windowless east wall, which can best take the weight of all the furniture and artwork that comes with the bed, nightstands, lamps, etc. Don't center it on the wall, but keep it over to the left a bit.

I would then put the pheasant painting above the bed. Keep the taller lamp for the wood nightstand, and try to find another one in a similar size but a bit more feminine feel for the round sidetable.

Put the desk and chair combo on the wall between the windows, round mirror above it, and use the small iron lamp there for now. I like the idea of the darker stain for the table, but I would leave the chair as is.

Finally, put the red chair down in the corner where the west and north walls meet, with a small floor table lamp or wall-mounted swing arm lamp amd a little table there.

Put the TV on the west wall with a bench below that is handy for putting on shoes, etc.

• 14 years ago

I love the repaint! And I like having the bed facing the big windows, so you can lie there and watch the trees.

Can you get or make a long bench to put under the large windows to anchor them to the floor? It would help balance the visual weight of the bed, and also give you a place to sit to put on socks and shoes.

The "square" is not a problem. Square is not a shape to be ashamed of.

• 14 years ago

Ha! Are you hanging that picture Over the table? I was loving it casually resting there. Very artistic and stylish, imo.

• 14 years ago

Yes -- just as an visual experiment -- I would love to see the bed and night tables moved to the East Wall. As wisely suggested by Les. Perhaps switch to wall-mounted swing-arm lamps? And try the larger lamp on the desk .....

And -- again -- I do agree with Les I would LOVE to the desk and chair placed between the smaller windows. With the mirror hung above the desk (plus add the larger lamp) -- the desk would appear to be a vanity -- very pretty!

Yes -- the larger pheasant artwork would look marvellous above the bed (when placed on the East Wall) and would make a great visual statement when entering the room!

I would put the TV on a small corner cabinet (check Overstock) where the abstract artwork is now leaning.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: white TV corner stand

• 14 years ago

Beautiful wall color! Were those gorgeous floors underneath the carpet or is that new? What happened to the armoire? Where's the furniture for clothes storage?

• 14 years ago

So much great feedback. Thank you. Let me start with the easier one first.

Squirrel -- I am totally open to leaving the pheasant painting on the table. Let me see if it is secure enough. It would avoid the endless hassle I have in deciding, "gee is this the right height?" Others agree that we should just leave it as is?

Lamps -- everyone commented on them. Yup, I know I need to buy new -- or go shopping elsewhere in the house. The room needs a bit of jewelry and I will come back to this when I get the floor arrangment down.

Lazy gardens -- Let me experiment with a bench below the windows. I like it the idea, but I have to be sure that I can still open and close the windows easily. We live in a warm climate and these big windows are opened all the time.

Les -- You propose a very good option for the windowless wall, one that makes a great deal of design sense, but would be a hard sell for my hubbie. We have talked about something like this and this is generally what he says: Take a look at the last pic -- that view (down the master bed corridor to the white door) would be the view when we wake up (or hung out in bed). Contrast that view with the view out of the NORTH wall. (Dear hubbie is very much of a view guy and our bed stares out to a huge gingko tree and a small crepe mrytle). Also, under the current room arrangement, there are bedside height electrical controls (to the overhead fan and lights) on the south wall (by HIS side of the bed). If we move the bed, we couldn't adjust the fan in the middle of the night without getting out of bed (or rewiring. . .) So I agree that that 15 foot long windowless wall makes the most sense for the bed, but . . . .I am not sure that this one will fly with him. That said, let me show him your suggestion. As always, you really make a lot of sense.

Any other thoughts, you wise ones?

• 14 years ago

Natal, we cross posted . . .No we just added the floors, matching what the ones in the (much older) downstairs of the house. We donated the armoir (too big). All clothes storage is in a closet. (Look at the last pic. On the left as you leave the bedroom there is a door to a closet. On the right is the master bath.) We try to keep the bedroom pretty spare.

• 14 years ago

What is the paint color? Love it!

• 14 years ago

Ellen Kennon's Lichen. We are really happy with it.

• 14 years ago

We have an old, hardrock Vermon maple dresser that isn't getting a lot of use. Is it too clutzy for the bedroom? I was thinking about putting it in the corner (where the abstact is now) and putting the tv on it.

The dresser is 30 inches wide and about 45 inches tall. That would normally be high to watch tv, but we would be doing so from the bed. Also, I bet we could stain the dresser and change the knobs.

• 14 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't put a bench under the big North windows and still open and close the windows easily. Great idea, though.