Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
di77ce

Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?

9 years ago

I am building a passive house and trying to choose between stainless steel Bosch and GE Profile appliances. I was going to go with all one or the other, but neither has good reviews for everything. And the reviews are so variable!! I've looked at Consumer Reports and many of the individual reviews from all the online appliances retailers. About the only place I've found thoughtful, detailed discussions has been Gardenweb.

In short, I am now willing to pick and choose from either brand even if things don't "match." Would love to hear what the Gardenweb opinions are! Here are my choices:

If induction cooktop: Bosch 800 Series 30" or GE Profile 30"

If single wall convection oven: Bosch 500 Series 30" or GE Profile 30"

If induction slide-in: Bosch Benchmark or GE Profile

Counter-depth french door fridge: Bosch B22CT80SNS or GE Profile PWE23KSDSS

Compact washer and condensing dryer pair: Bosch Ascenta or Bosch Axxis

Thanks in advance for your advice and time! :)

Comments (14)

• 9 years ago

I just bought new appliances for my kitchen. We went with the Bosch slide in induction range I think cooks great. After having it for a couple of weeks I would probably rather have knobs over the touch display for the hobs..

We went with a Bosch dishwasher and a GE refrigerator. I read a lot of poor reviews on the Bosch refrigerator so I steered clear from it. The GE refrigerator matches quite well in my opinion.

Chris

di77ce thanked cfillyaw
  • 9 years ago

@cfillyaw - Glad to hear the Bosch slide induction cooks well!! I would love to have knobs too, but would have to pay significantly more for a Miele or Viking. The new Samsung Induction has knobs, but I've heard such terrible things about their customer service should something go wrong. Also good to hear that the GE matches great!! Is the GE refrigerator pretty quiet too? My kitchen will be part of a great room. It will be fully open to the dining and living areas with 15 foot ceilings, so quiet kitchen appliances will be a must.

@marcmargolis926 - How do you like your Bosch Benchmark Induction cooktop? Did you consider the 800 series too? I was tempted by the Benchmark Cooktop, but lack of reviews and pricing put a damper on me. I also love the slate color in the GE Profile line and the fact that you can't see fingerprints! How do your slate appliances look with the stainless steel Bosch 800 dishwasher? Do you think it would be weird if I had a slate colored GE fridge with a stainless Bosch Induction Slide-In and Bosch 800 dishwasher? I know that's a silly question, but it has crossed my mind. And do you find your GE Profile quiet?

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don't think the slate fridge would be weird at all... it is designed to be matched with other finishes, and for cleaning purposes it's nice to have the appliance with the most surface area not be stainless. Plus it has the stainless handles, so it will kind of match.

di77ce thanked hvtech42
  • 9 years ago

We decided to mix the brands of appliances in our new construction. This was based on reviews and features we wanted. We love our Bosch dishwasher. Another family member recently purchased one & loves hers, too. We got a GE induction cooktop because we wanted the mirror finish with our stainless counters. Also got GE Monogram wall oven and Frigidaire separate all freezer and all refrigerator. Like I said, this was all about our own needs and then carefully researched specific brands and models. I wanted an all fridge and separate freezer in the walk in pantry. Love my simple fridge. I don't like a lot of bells & whistles on refrigerators. Also got an undercounter icemaker because that is the only reason we need a freezer right next to the fridge.

All this is a longwinded way of saying do what works for you. I could 't stand the thought of getting an appliance with a bad review for the sake of matching. Everything has a stainless finish, but no one seems to have even noticed that they don't all "match".

di77ce thanked cardinal94
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Some additional considerations to weigh in making your choices.

If you go with with a slide-in induction range. Both the GE and Bosch have full-power (2000 watt) elements for the convection functions. (Most ranges and wall ovens use 300-watt convection elements and mostly use the bottom element.) The GE slide-in (PHS920) often can be found discounted, which means (depending on where you shop) you might be able to get it for $500 to $600 less than the Bosch HIIP054U. The GE has a significantly bigger oven cavity (i.e., greater usable depth and more usable height) while the Bosch has more usuable space on the stovetop. (The GE's angled front control panel eats some space.) The GE's stovetop has two identical 8" medium/large burners on the left which makes it easy to use a burner spanning rectangular griddle (say, for pancakes) or deglazing large roasting pans. (However, for griddles, you have to be picky because you've only got a lttle over 19" of depth to work with). The Bosch does not have the length limitation but it's two "in-line" burners are different sizes, The two left hand burners on the Bosch are a 9" diameter and a 6" diameter, so harder to get even heating, plus a wide pan (say a roasting pan) may overlap ino the area of the 11"central burner, and that could be a problem when you have other pans on the range. You can pull hot baking pans out of the oven and set them down on the GE's stovetop without worrying about laying them on the control surface. With the Bosch having the burner control panel on top of the stove, I would worry about damaging it if I were to, say, accidentally put a very hot pizza pan or broiler pan on it. (This might be paranoia from issues with older induction ranges.) The Bosch has individual burner timers which can be very handy for recipes that require fairly precise times (as with pressure cookers, for example, or rice). The two stoves have different ergonomics for the burner and oven controls. I don't know that one is better than the other, but you may have preferences. So, a good idea to check out the onine copies of the manual and, if possible, see the stoves in person.

Cooktops: The Bosch and GE have different burner layouts. One may appeal to you more than the other. If you can find display models, take some pans you often use together and see how well they fit. The Bosch has timer controls for the burners,

Refrigerators: For the last two or three years, GE has been making its own fridges. (It "on-shored" its production to new factories in Kentucky). That seems to have helped with past reliability problems. Keep that in mind when reading reviews. When Bosch first started selling fridges here several years ago -- source of the product unknown to me --- there were some pretty negative comments here about unreliability within months of purchase. The current Bosch FD fridges are rebadged Whirlpools (IIRC, outfitted similarly to Whirlpool's kitchenaid models.) That may help with your research.

Dishwasher: Didn't see this on your list. Are we correct to assume that already has been selected?

Range Hood: Already selected, as well?

Washer & Dryer: Can't help with this. Sorry. You might try posting in the Laundry forum.

di77ce thanked jwvideo
  • 9 years ago

Thank you everyone!! You have made me feel much better about my decision to not match all the appliances to one brand!!!

@jwvideo - Thanks for the in-depth considerations on the slide-ins. I am currently leaning more towards the cooktop/wall-oven combo, but we shall see!! I am awaiting the sticker shock once the construction bids come in. For the dishwasher, I have decided on the Bosch 800 series. For the hood, I have decided on a 30" Zephyr from the Gust Collection with a recirculating kit. I know that a recirculating hood is less than ideal, but it is a passive house limitation.

• 9 years ago

I have had GE profile double wall ovens/cooktop in two of my homes and really liked them. Bosch DW that I LOVE! I had a GE profile DW in one of the houses and wasn't thrilled with it. It seemed a little noisy and left dishes spotty.

di77ce thanked Linda Doherty
  • 5 years ago

What about microwaves? Bosch vs GE Profile Advantium?

• 5 years ago
    We just got Ge profile appliances this past Monday. Got the slide in gas stove which we love so far. The refrigerator we also like. It seems well laid out and shelves are adjustable. The in door ice maker and water is really tall and doesn’t drip like some do. The first 2 days it did seem much louder than our old one but it has quieted down now that we filled it more. There is a definite low hum but it doesn’t bother us and ours is also off family room. The installer broke the dishwasher trying to install so I’m still waiting on new one.
  • 3 years ago

Thinking of also doing multiple brands based on reviews. I am considering GE Profile electric slide in double oven with GE profile microwave (don't care that much on specs as is only used to heat stuff) but for Refrigerator i love the Bosch counter depth 800 french door style and thinking of picking a BOSCH dishwasher as i keep seeing very consistent reviews on good they are.. Thoughts on any of these choices?

• 3 years ago

I have a counter-depth, french-door GE Profile fridge and love it - slightly different model (PYE22KS). Posted a review on link below - might be useful. And fyi, some good deals still on sale at costco.com .

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5978867/appliance-help-please

• 4 months ago

I am doing a kitchen remodel and am shopping for new appliances. I am looking at GE Profile series,and went directly to GE website and noticed that most all the Profile Refrigerators are no longer going to be manufactured ? What is happening? Are they doing away with the Profile Series? Is there something new coming out? Help

• 4 months ago

I saw a comment by an appliance salesperson on another forum that some of GE's appliances are due for a refresh this year. Perhaps getting ready to launch new models?