Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1509471

Help saving my beloved peach tree

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Please can anyone help me with suggestions to save my peach?

Is this a fungus or a nutrient deficiency?

What can I do to nurture my tree back to health?

Comments (5)

• 8 years ago

First, without a soil test, all guesses at nutrient status are just that, guesses. Second, and I'll admit my Florida experience is nil, but up here, by this point in the growing season, all manner of fungi and insect pests have had their way with the foliage of trees. It is completely normal for there to be blemishes, feeding sites, etc. etc....

All that said, peach is in the same genus as are the cherries, plums, etc. and are as such, notoriously short-lived. I will readily admit, I'm not giving you "the answer" here, but rather, trying to get you to think of this within the context of a truly short-lived type of plant, one where heroic efforts to "save" it might just be helping the garden center owner's wallet, disturbing Florida's already highly abused environment, and still not giving you your ever-living peach tree that you want. Finally, and I may be wrong about this bit, but down in your state with it's blistering heat and humidity, I would expect an even more truncated life for such plants. Again, I might be wrong about that, but it does seem likely that everything would cycle faster.

+oM

• 8 years ago

I'm sorry but I think you are being rude Wisconsitom. Jerryl is asking advice how to help his tree and you want to hop on him for 'helping the garden center's wallet.' If he wants to treat the tree to save it why would it hurt anything? Is it a short lived tree, yes, in the grand scheme of things- but peaches in general don't decline for 10+ years. I certainly hope that no one decides not to pad the doctors wallets if your health declines.

Florida IS very rough on our northern fruits. Peaches, apples, etc are truly pushing the boundaries of what is easy/normal/zoned for us here. These trees are being bred specifically for Florida and in this case it has produced a weak tree. (in general not yours specifically) Out of all the fruit I have pushing the boundaries here the peach is the hardest to grow without problem. They are susceptible to all manner of fungus, mildew, mold, insects, etc. If you have not been feeding your tree that will be your #1 issue. Secondly you should be spraying with some type of fungal spray at least annually. (I use copper and it seems to help with fungus and molds) Third, it's fall. The daylight hours are getting shorter already. Our trees know this. In Georgia the trees are already beginning to defoliate. Fourth- it's still raining daily. These trees don't like wet feet. If it's planted somewhere low lying it could be dealing with root rot.

Peaches are very difficult to grow for more that 5+ years without a good fertilizing/spraying & pruning routine. While I don't have any specific instructions I encourage you to look at what you have supplied for your tree and go from there. Visit UF's site to learn more about the pruning and do some reading to find out what the best schedule is for your area.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs365

Good luck!

• 8 years ago

to wisconsitom:

Thank you for the detailed answer. I will of course not shoot down anyone that takes time to respond. But there are a few things I do not agree with. Let me just comment on a view things.

First, without a soil test, all guesses at nutrient status are just that, guesses.

This is not at all correct. There are ways to accurately determine the state of a tree (nutrient deficiencies, fungal or pest attacks) by visual diagnosis of the tree and leaves. Leaves changing to certain colors, the shape of the damaged areas of the leaves etc. etc. can determine specific reasons causes and remedies for it.

A soil test is always useful to either verify the diagnosis and to measure how much of a deficiency it has.

But it certainly is not a "guess" looking at the leaves.

Also my peach tree is a Florida king peach. It is bread for this climate. I don't think really it is a "short loved tree". I am of course not sure but I doubt it's live span is just 3 years.

But thank you for the answer. :)

• 8 years ago

to ibarbidahl:

Wow, this is a very good reply. I think you are right on.

I never fed the tree (don't curse me out for it) .. it never seemed to need it. The tree was growing at ridiculous speeds, was full of peaches in march.. and seemed to be healthier than a fish. .. Also I never sprayed any fungal protection... which will be changed this year!

I will certainly feed it (any recommendation what I should feed it? corn? Lasagna? brown bread? (kidding)

You think it still can be saved?

• 8 years ago

I had a couple peach trees die, a Fla King & another I can't recall the name of, (Fla prince?) Good luck. In Fla the peach tree requires a greater spray regiment than I am willing to give it.

I always appreciate Wisconsin Toms advise. He is a registered Arborist, I am a back yard gardener...