Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babyviolets_africanviolets

New dining room mirror, curtains, lazy susan! Other decor suggestions

8 years ago

Hi, I finally got a chance to put up my dining room curtains, hang the mirror and add a glass lazy susan to my dining table.

Right now the dining room has an orange/rust color palette, I would like to add another color to the room through table lamps and figurines on the book shelf. Will be adding some art on the wall opposite the curtains. Any ideas on which color / additional decor I can add to the room.

Here are the pictures:

The 3 glass vases I will be removing or painting another color. The bookshelves will have to stay for now, I moved them from my living room to here. Will invest in a buffet/sideboard next year. We might be moving the cat furniture or hide it behind the curtain when closed.

Thanks everyone,

Cooks.

Comments (13)

• 8 years ago

Are the white walls on purpose?

The lazy susan is awesome. Where did you get it?

Is the chandy new as well?

• 8 years ago

The round mirror hung between the two square windows but far below them somehow doesn't work for me. To me the room needs some colorful art, with green and blue tones to offset all the orange. I know you said you're planning to put some art on another wall, but I feel this wall needs it too. Green, turquoise and light blue seem like good colors to contrast with the rust.

• 8 years ago

Really cool, re: the lazy susan! I love it. Thanks for the idea!

Next thing I'd do is paint the walls, and I'd paint them a nice, earthy brown to really brings out the rust or a wonderful, sophisticated purple.

• 8 years ago

I love the orange color you have chosen. I really like the mirror, but it's not working for me where you have it, it looks too small,and too low. It looks the same size as the lazy susan.

I think you need a big piece of art between the two small windows and that will cue you as to what other color to bring in. It will be another color from the art work.

The vases are gorgeous, but placing three, symmetrically dispersed across the bookcase, is detracting from their specialness.

• 8 years ago

I agree about the round mirror not working. I think the color and size is off. You definitely need another color in there as there is too much orange imo. Turquoise would be a great color to add. I think removing the mirror and adding a nice abstract piece of art would look great,

• 8 years ago

Thank you everyone!!. I can move the mirror on the other wall in the room. I would like to keep the mirror in the same room, as I had it custom made for this room.

I just received this painting today, I still need to stretch it onto canvas or frame it. I was going to hang it in my guest bedroom, but it may look nice here.

It is long and narrow (24x48") so it may work here.

I have moved the mirror onto the other wall in the room. I can add other art work or maybe glass plates or something around the mirror, so it doesnt look too lonely and small on that wall.

@tibbrix, I do like the idea of painting the wall, we will have to wait for next year otherwise our warranty gets void.

thanks!,

Cooks.

• 8 years ago

I painted this on a smaller canvas, could do something similar on a larger canvas, use blue/green shades and instead of the rectangle shape use another shape (circle/square/leaf), Thoughts?

thanks,

Cooks.

• 8 years ago

I think a vertically oriented painting will work better between the windows than a horizontal one.

• 8 years ago

I like your mirror. I think for me what throws the room off are the two vases that look like they are ready to fall off the buffet. I think I would try and center them between the mirror and the windows. If you lived in SoCal I would say a couple of bird of paradise stalks would be pretty

• 8 years ago

Thanks!, I will definitely move the vases around. I had to look up what birds of paradise were and wow they are plants. I live in Maryland so will have to search for them.

I did did some measurements and yes the larger square painting would fit better than the narrow one.

cooks

• 8 years ago

I love the colors in your dining room. I would smile every time I walked in there! Maybe instead a row of similar vases, if you want to use them all, I'd try them grouped together like a bouquet on one side of the bookcases and find something else to set on the top (or not).

• 8 years ago

@olychick..thanks!!, I will be removing the vases or using only one or as a group. I am planning to place a pair of lamps on either side of the mirror, will look into blue/green color as suggested by most people.

If I dont find the lamps, then will place tall sculpture/figurines on either side of the mirror.

Of course, if I go with a painting instead of the mirror, then I may or may not place lamps at each end. For some reason I like symmetry and pairs:)

thanks everyone,

Cooks.