Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jon_beard89

I don't know what this is....but I have 18 of them.

8 years ago

I bought 19 @ about $3 each at a year ago Fall closeout. One doesn't even look like this.

PFFFFT! Stop giggling. They all had plant tags w pics that labeled them as Sagae and additionally labels on the pots said Sagae as well.

I have browsed through the Hosta Library data based of photos and not found any hosta that look like this. I'm really not all that upset as I think they all look nice and for the money it was a steal.

....and, you know what they say, one of the secrets to garden design is repetition, repetition, repetition.

Maybe someone might help me zero in on what they might be??????

Thanks,

Jon, Jon, Jon

Comments (39)

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bwa ha ha! You remind me of my goofy younger brother... I won't tell you what I say to him when he pulls stunts like you did with those 19! ;-). Good luck with the ID, bro, lol.

Ok, seriously now .... I have no idea but there is already nice corrugation going on there, which should aid with ID, and an interestingly marked leaf in the foreground. I'm sure you'll have a lot more surprises coming up! Back to giggling...Pfffttt!

• 8 years ago

C'mon, Jon. Obviously you got yourself a batch of Blue Mouse Ears. Or...maybe Sum and Substance. I always mix up those two.

• 8 years ago

Oh my heavens...Don, I cracked up at BME!!!! But of course! Why didn't I see that?????

• 8 years ago

You guys are really taking advantage of my good nature.

That is a one foot square.

The biggest leaf is 7 inches by 4 inches.

BMEs are up though.

Jon

• 8 years ago

Call them - "Heck if I know but I got a good deal"

• 8 years ago

or Heckuvadeal.

• 8 years ago

Clever..like that

Jon 6a SE MA thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • 8 years ago

Maybe they're Wide Brim.

Jon 6a SE MA thanked don_in_colorado
  • 8 years ago

Some photos of Abiqua Moonbeam look similar.

???

Jon

• 8 years ago

Abiqua, Abba Dabba Doo?

It is similar to the Abiquas.....hmmmmm?

Jon

• 8 years ago

I don't think they are Wide Brims Don. I have 3 Wide Brims in my meditation area that I have had several years and the Mystery Hostas have larger leaves and are larger, surely for their age. Also the Wide Brims are just poking their noses up (saw the 'nose' reference in the Hosta Library and kind of like it). The Imposters are way ahead of the WBs.

Jon

• 8 years ago

SO NICE, Jon. How about another picture of the area they are in? Did you put them near that "rock waterfall"? I just can't remember, uh oh, that means you have to go outside and look at them again ; )

Sherry

Jon 6a SE MA thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • 8 years ago

Don't forget the brolly! ;-) I am outside exhausting myself...to the point I have no energy to further jest but! a compliment I can muster. Those BMEs are absolutely lovely. Good job looking after the wee mites, Jon. I love them.

Jon 6a SE MA thanked josephines167 z5 ON Canada
  • 8 years ago

I don't know what it is, but I sure do like it! I'd love to find a sale like that.

Jon 6a SE MA thanked stephanie_h12
  • 8 years ago

If by any chance they are Sague, be prepared to dig up more lawns!!! I have one that is over 4 feet and not quite 4 yrs old yet . My tags disappear all the time by raking them out in the spring or fall. What ever they are what a score!

Only about 3 feet so far but maybe Francee ? I am not good at guessing

Jon 6a SE MA thanked almosthooked zone5
  • 8 years ago

Sherry, I will go out and take some pics tomorrow if it doesn't rain; UGH. None are at the Ravine, some are near it, some are in what I call the Dell and a couple are flanking the steps down to the Dell.

• 8 years ago

Jo, My parents and grandparents came from England and I have never heard the word brolly, I had to look it up.

I had the Nat GEO DNA test done and found out my 'closest match' was Danish and the second closest was Romanian, with a dash of caveman. OK, bear with me, Denmark was the center of the Viking Kingdom and they extended into Romania and, of course invaded Britain as well and settled in parts.

.....but, the Vikings kept invading France and after a while the French said OK, why don't you keep a portion of France (Normandy).

The Normans Invaded and took over England in the Eleventh Century. So it is not surprising that my Mother, Father, Grandmother, Grandfather, Great Grandparents...........and I would be a good portion Viking and a smaller part Gypsy. Grandpa would have a few choice words of disagreement if he was still with us.

Then there was the history of one of my relatives chopping off an English kings head long, long ago. Related to my cousin by her friend who is a librarian in England. I hope the queen never finds out. OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

Whew. All that from a 'brolly'.

Jon

• 8 years ago

Almost hooked, I held on to the hope they were Sagae as long as I could. Not a chance. They will be big though. :-}

Jon

• 8 years ago

Jon, It looks just like my Sunshine Glory . If it is, you'll love them!

Jon 6a SE MA thanked garyz6ohio
  • 8 years ago

Gary, I Googled some pictures and they look similar. I sure hope they are. Those are nice looking hosta.

Jon

• 8 years ago

I love Ludi because he is a great story teller and uses some words that just make me smile - Jon, this yarn of yours did the same thing......and just because I used the word brolly. We need a campfire so we can tell more stories like these.

What a fun day it turned out to be. And....I gave the lawn its first hair cut today! I am done in - worked my gloves off - time for some ...

...I hear it's good for a sore back ;-).

• 8 years ago

Jon, Whatever you determine it is, it is one sweet plant !

When I first saw it I thought it looked a lot like "Satisfaction".

Jon 6a SE MA thanked koffman99
  • 8 years ago

Definitely. Good for a sore back and anything else that ails you. Red wine is especially healthy. How did you get Cuban booze? ...or can you get that now?

Jon

• 8 years ago

Koff, Satisfaction is sweet. It seems to have corrugation along the length of the leaf where the Imposters have corrugations 90 degrees to the veins. I'm still thinking Abiqua Moonbeam looks the closest. Mature plants show a darker green center, of course these may darken as well. I have them in various light. If they are going to get dark this year the slower growing ones in shade should show it. Its pouring again and getting dark. Maybe some in dense shade will be open tomorrow or soon. The one in the picture is the fastest growing and it gets the most Sun. The less exposure, the later and smaller they are.....for now.

Jon

• 8 years ago

A squad of Sunshine Glory would be nice, I like that one a lot. Of course, Abiqua Moonbeam would be great, too.

Jon 6a SE MA thanked don_in_colorado
  • 8 years ago

Perhaps if you wait another few weeks you will be better able to id this one. Som many hostas look similar right out of the starting box.

-Babka

Jon 6a SE MA thanked Babka NorCal 9b
  • 8 years ago

Okay, here is where they are hiding.

The first and second row of hosta on the 'Berm" has most of tem with the first row which wraps further to the right out of the picture. This is to the right of the Dell

Named because of my carriage house shed.

Two are set on the sides of the steps leading into the Dell. There is an embankment toward the right with azaleas that were ill placed and will be removed and replaced with more hosta waiting in the wings for the rain to stop.

One is located at the delta of the ravine. The dell has had a lot added and will be featured later. I think that most will find it interesting. No amount of cajoling or bribes will get a preview.........besides this. I think it has a greater WOW factor, but then I am prejudiced.

A few more partially ring 'The mound' which is to the left of The Ravine. below The Del and behind the Snake. Deepest shade and late awakening. The egret statue is more fun with Bumpa along with the snake.

Please excuse all the weeds. Can't use glyphosate in the rain and my less than one year old lawnmower is in the shop. Not good. Need to get some mulch and clean things up.

Jon

• 8 years ago

swiftsixty … way to go don, i mean jon. look good tho'

Jon 6a SE MA thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • 8 years ago

Thanks Bragu, ?swiftsixty? I have never heard that expression before, but any identity confusion with Don is a compliment.

Jon

• 8 years ago

Probably have a better idea in a couple years when they're more mature.

Jon 6a SE MA thanked gardenfanatic2003
  • 8 years ago

swift sixty as in the amount you paid for them ...

Jon 6a SE MA thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • 8 years ago

Jon, love your posts and this entire thread has been so much fun to read. I am one of those who loves, loves, loves hosta, but can identify very few (Liberty and June are two). I started putting in labels, beautiful metal ones with labels printed on a label-maker. I had dreams of becoming like many here-brilliant, kind, funny, and wise in knowledge of all things hosta. Sigh. Dogs ran over and bent all the ones in the back and a cut paw told me it was time to get rid of those. No idea what became of those in the front yard. My memory of which is which might be summed up by the statement "the past is a foreign country and I don't have a passport."

Now, I just drink in their beauty, add more, forget the names of those, and pop in here for inspiration...and often a laugh. Thanks for that today!

Cynthia

Jon 6a SE MA thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • 8 years ago

Cynthia, I really need to get out a 100 ft tape measure and plot out 6-7 areas I've started and make maps. Believe it or not I do have records of most of what I have. , but bookkeeping was never my strong point.

I would much rather be out digging holes and working on projects than what I consider 'bean counting'.

Jon

• 7 years ago

Hey Jon, What do your 18 look like now? Have you id them?

Jon 6a SE MA thanked garyz6ohio
  • 7 years ago

Jon, Happy thread! I just ordered SG so we can compare plants.. My Moon Dance looks kinda of similar, but I doubt weather a nursery would be selling so many of these at one time.

Jon 6a SE MA thanked DelawareDonna Zone 7A
  • 7 years ago

Hi Gary and DD. No ID yet.

This is the largest one. Very overcast after 2.12 inches of rain. The margins seem to be increased and the corrugations are getting deeper. I think I will simply stick with the name 'Imposter'.

I do appreciate the help in trying to find out what it is. Going through photos is like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are so many variations based on sitings and time of the year, etc. it is very difficult. Even the pictures I first posted earlier look very different from those of today.

Jon

• 7 years ago

Hosta 'Impostah' until firm identification works for me... =)

• 7 years ago

Jon, I still voting for Sunshine Glory. I tried to send you a picture of mine but I still can't download from my computer to this site.