Shop Products
ajm615

How big is your walk-in shower?

BuildinginTN

Hi - our house plans call for a 3x4 walk-in shower in the master bath, next to a freestanding tub. We have 6' 8" reserved for the tub. My builder questions the size of the shower. He thinks it's too small and that we'll be unhappy.

We don't have this set up now. We've been fine with a tub/shower combo - so I don't have a good concept of what size we even need. If we opt for a bigger shower, we can either go with a smaller tub with tile surround - or nix the tub in the master altogether.

If we nix, then I want to reconfigure the guest bath to accommodate a tub. It can be done, but I have to get rid of a hall closet.

So back to my original question - how big is your walk-in shower?

• Sunny Days

Our master shower is 5x8 but DH and I shower together daily. We opted for no built in benches and I am buying to small teak benches that I can move where ever I need them. We also had the Ebbe drain installed.

• homechef59

Our showers(s) are 4x4 with built-in benches and cubbyholes. They are nice sizes without being so big that they are cold and hard to clean.

Yes, I said showers as in plural. We built a master addition and the architect had some extra room in the master bath. I already had closets and storage. He configured the bathroom for both a tub and separate his and her showers. They are entirely separate, not dual shower heads. I know it's an extravagance, but it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I get my own shower. DH gets his own shower. He makes a mess that I never see. I get to put all of my stuff in my shower just the way I want it. We also get to set our water temperatures how we like them and nobody changes them. We are able to shower simultaneously, too.

I've used the fancy tub less than 10 times. It's just something that I have to clean. I could do without the tub, except we will want to sell the house someday. I vote for dual showers.

How do I choose a shower system for my walk in shower?

The key with any remodelling/designing that we tell all our clients is to list the 3 most important things in any particular room they are designing, for you this might be 2 shower heads or a particular type of head; then once you have your own 'must have' list in order of priority (and even assign numbers to them if that helps), ensure that you have incorporated as many of them into your own design. Hope that helps and good luck.

How many shower heads for a walk in shower?

the trade off is that having shower heads at both ends, you can't choose to have no door. we have a 4x8' shower with a rain head and hand held on a bar heads, at the same end. a 36" panel of glass is all we need to keep the water in. we put a free standing teak bench at the other end, you can pull it under the spray, or not. having a hand held shower means you don't need to reach in to turn on the water, you simply turn the head to the wall til the water is warm. so, do you really need two people to shower at once? there would need to be a door in the middle (and water may go out when the door was opened). or you can have both heads at one end and do an open shower. optimizing one thing or the other.

Tub and Walk in Shower VS Walk in Shower

Take it out! We renovated a year ago and removed the whirlpool tub which made room for a larger shower. We LOVE the shower and now I no longer have to dust the tub (lol) that we never used other than as an occasional hamper. We have absolutely no regret over ditching the tub. Realtor said as long as we have a tub in another bathroom we're good.

How much clearance do you need for a open walk in shower?

Usually 30-36" but seen 28" is also being used if there is not enough room.
  • BuildinginTN

homechef59 I'm so envious! That does sound wonderful. Forget his & her closets... but showers, I can get behind. No more wondering if hubby got into my special one-time-splurge salon shampoo, no more stealing of razors... I totally get it! He would say no more worrying about my hair in the drain, but apparently the Ebbe can help with that. ;)

• ILoveRed

I agree. Our shower is the most popular shower in our house. The three men in my house can use any ole shampoo. What do they use? My Biolage for color treated hair! What a treat to have your own shower where no one can touch your stuff, lol.

• kirstyeg

I asked this same question a while back in the bathrooms forum! We went with 3.5' x 5' w/ 2 shower heads (one rainshower in the ceiling, one handheld) and a small flip-down teak bench. And we nixed the master bath tub. Not built yet, so can't speak to function.

• maven19

Ours is 4'4" by 6', we haven't moved in yet, but it looks huge (and I'm already dreading cleaning it!). We've live with a much smaller stand alone shower in our previous home for years and I've not had any problems with the size.

We decided to go with the stand alone bathtub (despite the expense) and I can't wait to use it! I personally wouldn't forgo the tub, it you think you'll use it.

• CSKI 13

@maven19 we have the same size shower once it's finished. We're in a framed state now and it seems awfully small! We also splurged on a free-standing tub; it's deep and beautiful and will definitely get used!

• kirkhall

Had to comment--we also LOVE our Ebbe drain! I wish they made one for tubs (for my daughters' tub/shower combo).

Our shower is 3x5 and does have 2 heads (one is a handheld) and we do shower together in it at times. When it is just me, I never feel like I am going to accidentally knock the wall or shower curtain(--yes, we still did a curtain rather than glass).

• jo_in_tx

Just remember that very large showers can be cold and drafty! We vacationed every summer for a few summers in a lake house in Tennessee, and I hated the master bathroom because the shower was huge and cold.

• rmverb

The shower in our new house will be 5'4" X 6'.

• Jim1405

I've lived with my current 2.5' x 4.75' walk-in one piece shower w/ corner bench in the the master bath for 24 years now and have always found it fine for one person. And I am far from petite. The width is a little tight as I occasionally bump the walls or glass doors with my elbows though. That being said, when I build my new home next year I will probably start the design with something in the 3.5' x 5' range. There will be plenty of room since I won't have a tub in the master but I personally don't see the need for anything larger. YMMV.

• zippity1

5X5 we live south of houston, tx no door i thought i would freeze but that's not been the case also have a slipper tub in our bath, it's been used twice in 18 months and one of those was grandaughter with broken arm

we chose a universal shower (no lip) cause we've already been the wheelchair route and we knew how much space was needed to be comfy in a wheelchair in the shower

• busybeeinsc

I guess ours will be huge compared to most - 6'x6' with no curb - fully open to the room on one side. We chose this because we hope to be here forever (we're both retired and both close to 60 yo) and we've seen how horrible it is to try to make a standard bathroom work for someone in a wheelchair. I don't think I'll feel cold as I take showers that are only slightly cooler than scalding.

• jo_in_tx

Another thing to remember - unless your shower is very large, a built in bench will take up space making it more difficult for a wheeled-shower chair. Besides, I don't like sitting on hard tile. A teak bench is more comfortable to sit on, imo, and is movable and removable. Besides, some are quite beautiful. :)

• whaas_5a

We have a 4-8" x 3-5" shower and I spent plenty time mapping out the size. Showers are by far the most annoying things to clean so I don't get why some are so big except for accessibility. This ones with tile and white grout even better!

• Amy79

There are flip up benches that attach to the wall, but my FIL has one and has had nothing but problems with water leaking. He's having it re-done/un-done for the 3rd time in less than 15 years and having the bench taken out and just using a freestanding bench.

• voila

Our last house had a shower that was 8x8, yes, feet. No door and was never drafty. One regular showerhead and one handheld on the sidewall. To be honest, it was the easiest shower to keep clean! The water never hit the walls. The handheld was to wash down the shower if needed. I usually just had to clean the floor, tiled bench and shower head and handles. Never had to squeegee anything. Our shower now is about 5x5 and with a glass door is much harder to keep clean. I wipe down the glass with a microfiber towel after squeegeeing which has helped tremendously. The biggest downfall is no operable window in the bathroom. I would opt for all the room you can get in the shower.

• jn3344

I should have put it outside.

• MagdalenaLee

I thought I was going to be the winner of the the huge shower but Voila has me beat by 6". Ours is 7'6" x 8'. We have two shower heads, a handheld and a rainshower. We are not small people and shower together regularly but that sucker is WAY too big. Drafty and cavernous! I do agree, it is easy to clean because the water only hits the floor. In our next house, our shower will be 7' x 3'6". Long enough for two people and wide enough for plenty of elbow room.

• whaas_5a

Gotta love rain x for the glass shower doors

• mrspete

Some of y'all have BIG showers. Do keep in mind that if aging-in-place is a concern, you don't want your shower to be so large that you can't reach grab bars on both the right and the left ... so that means 4' or less for most of us (meaning wide, of course; length wouldn't matter for aging-in-place.

• just_janni

I will end up with a 5'x 7' 2" shower with 2 shower heads. It was originally larger, but we backs it down after measuring our current configuration. The 5' front to back offers enough room for the water stream, and the 3' 7" for "each" spot was good without being too large (I think) The main difference is that the current shower is darker tile, no door and glass block - so it's visually restrictive. The new shower will be large format marble look tiles and 2+ sides glass. I am expecting it will feel huge.

But the other main difference is that the glass will go all the way to the ceiling in the new shower and not be "open" at the top. That openness leads to my shower feeling cold in the winter.

As for aging in place - you can put yourself on a seat in a shower like this and roll right in, do most of your washing "seated" and then roll out. I've seen the plastic yard chairs do decent duty as a shower chair. (I am also a fan of the teak bench and NOT a built in. I HATE the current built in bench - talked in another post - it's just WEIRD to sit naked on a flat tile surface....) We're also planning another low / zero threshold shower in the office / pool bath that will allow for a more standard "standing" experience with grab bars if necessary.

• ILoveRed

i took care of my mom a couple of years ago after a bad fall. She was at my house for about 8 weeks. I showered her in my shower. I have a medium size corner tiled, "Better Bench". Not so bad to sit on. I just spread a small towel on it for her first. But it was wholly inadequate as far as size. And my mom is not large. my shower was too small for both of us to be in there. I had to leave the door open.

My glass door is smallish. One thing I would advise...if you are using a door in your shower make sure it is big enough.

shower planning for aging is tricky.

• jn3344

I see this is still going.

Like I said before, I thought I wanted a big shower after living with smaller ones. Maybe if they are designed with no glass. I'm telling you this 7' wide by 8' tall piece of glass is a monster. And there's as much tile here as in the shower at the gym.

If I pamper it every day I feel like I have a job as a bathroom attendant. If I relax and let it go, I have the mess I have right now, where I am going over it for the third time and shopping for miracle products in between vinegar soakings.

Maybe glass-less is the way to go if you really want the size.

• cpartist

The new shower will be large format marble look tiles and 2+ sides glass. I am expecting it will feel huge.

But the other main difference is that the glass will go all the way to the ceiling in the new shower and not be "open" at the top.

It will feel open but also be quite the PITA to keep clean. I speak from experience. Have fun squeeging that daily. It got so bad that DH and I would race one another to shower first so we didn't have to squeegee. LOL.

My new shower will only have glass on the door.

• chispa

But ... don't you also squeegee the walls? We have 24" x 24" marble-look porcelain tiles on our shower walls and a 36" glass door. I squeegee the whole thing! We have hard water and you can see (or at least I can) the water spots on the slightly glossy porcelain tile. Of course, DH thinks I'm crazy, but the shower looks much better!

• ILoveRed

I have a whole house water softener and I don't squeegee anything. One pony wall of glass and a glass door.

My tile shower never looks bad and is cleaned thoroughly only every other week.

I wonder if the water softener is the deal breaker.

we also use liquid soap only. No bar soap.

• just_janni

We squeegee today in our shower. Honestly - it takes about 2 minutes with the 2 of us. Less when it's one person because, quite frankly, the water using a single shower head is more contained.

I will Rain-X the glass to make it bead water more effectively, but a little squeegee-ing and wiping with a microfiber towel isn't that big a deal for me - based on the last 19 years of doing this - and - doing it in a space with a lot of grout lines (PITA!)

Using the scrubbing bubbles every couple of weeks or so isn't that bad either.

• BuildinginTN

You guys and all this squeegee talk is about to convince me that a standard tub/shower combo may be the easiest way to go lol. ;) But I'm loving these tips like Rain-X.

• ILoveRed

I don't even own a squeegee! :-)

• chispa

I should probably start a new thread on water softeners ... ILoveRed I hope you'll describe your system there.

• ILoveRed

It's just a simple water softener that we bought at Sears and our plumbers installed it when we were building this house. We have to add salt to it. Its 11 yrs old so I don't see the exact model but similar to this one. We have very hard water and if we didn't have softened water our fixtures would be a mess.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-extra-high-efficiency-water-softener/p-04238350000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

• tiffanygarrido

After seeing ours framed, we had him make it bigger. It was originally about 3 x 5.5, but next to the tub like yours which made one of the walls shorter. It felt cramped. Our closet is right next to the shower and is huge so we had plenty of room to extend it. We only went out another foot because we didn't want to end up with a huge drafty shower. It's now 4 x 5.5 and feels perfect (although still only framed).

Edited to add: Ours also has a corner bench which took up more space. It felt small even for one person; however, our current shower is 3 x maybe 2.5 so we are ready for something bigger! If you ever want to both shower at the same time, 3 x 4 would probably be "ok" but cramped. We stood in ours together before enlarging the frame. It felt cramped and we are both about average size (5'3" and 5'8" - maybe that is short by some standards! LOL)

• skw27

Ours was 42x54 but during framing my husband said he'd trade his closet to make it a shower. Well it ended up being "her" closet being turned into a shower because of the inside walls. So I lose 6" of closet space but I guess I'll live :). The new closet will be more shallow-36" instead of 42" so his vanity can be bigger. No pony wall of glass so it will look more symmetrical with the closet, the only glass will be the door. Now I need to figure out where to put the two showerheads...

Btw, the window is actually 54x48 and it will be a clawfoot tub not a jacuzzi tub.

• Ouida Stark Martin

We are in the building process now and have enjoyed reading this thread. Our Master shower is a 6 x 5 open shower with no glass. It has double shower heads and a niche as well as a bench. The shower heads are turned on as you enter the shower but the shower heads are on the opposite enclosed part of the shower.

Also, instead of towel racks, we asked for shower hooks next to the opening of the shower to help the ease of drying off while in the shower so to keep water contained in the shower stall.

We live in Florida so not a lot of worry about getting cold or drafts. We've opted for an open outer wall (actually 58' tall. We are 5'10 and 6'00 ft tall so we'll be able to see out of the shower to the rest of the bathroom. Hopefully, this open shower will keep the circulation open.

We're using 18 x 18 tile in the shower walls and 6 x 6 on the floors.

Virgil Carter Fine Art

Here's how we do it in Texas...

• cpartist

We live in Florida so not a lot of worry about getting cold or drafts.

I live in FL too. You may regret saying that especially if you have your AC on most of the time.

When we were visiting S Africa, they had a shower just like you're describing. Trust me, Africa is even hotter than Fl. I will tell you I was always cold in that shower.

• Ouida Stark Martin

LOL... Y'all need it bigger and better in Texas ... especially this time of year.

Stay cool! =D

• vinmarks

We had a big doorless shower in our old house. Hated it. We are in NC and the shower was always cold and drafty even in the summer. I hated cleaning it. We had 2 shower heads so me and DH could shower at the same time. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I hated that too. His soap suds would be landing on me. We had a large corner bench that was only ever used to hold shampoo etc or for a leg perch for shaving. Our new home has a 3ft 2 X 5 ft shower with a glass door. It only has a ledge wide enough to hold large shampoo bottles and at a height good for shaving legs. We also have a niche. No drafts. I love the smaller simpler shower. We squeegee the entire thing after showering and wipe the glass door with a microfiber towel. It stays very clean.

• Nathan

We're building now and the plans had a small standard shower with a soaker tube next to it. I am 6'3" and "husky" and wanted more room so we pulled the tub and make the shower longer. Looking at the plans now its about 7' long and maybe 3'6"-4' wide with dual heads. Wall on 3 sides with a glass wall/door. We plan to squeegee the glass and treat it with rain-x once a month or so. I've also considered trying paste wax to see how long that would last.

To take up the rest of the space from removing the tub we've added a linen closet thats about 3' wide. I think that'll be nice to have in the bathroom to store our towels, sheets, and toiletry consumables.

• chisue

You want 'elbow room' as you face a shower head.

I'm allergic to Rain-X type products. We have shower glass with baked-in water resistance, and we do not have hard water, but IME glass still needs a squeegee to look good.

You also need a big supply of hot water if you have a lot of heads running at once.

• Nathan

Our water is hard but we'll have a softener. Our last place had a glass enclosure that was bad when we moved in with build up and I tried EVERYTHING to clean it off. I ended up replacing it and for the last 4 months we lived there with the new glass we used a squeegee and rain-x and it worked great. We'll also have 2 water heaters so there ought to be no shortage of hot water. (In-laws will live in the basement.)

Realistically though it'll be rare that both shower heads will be used at once. I tend to get up early and my wife....doesn't. :)

• bwasek03

Our shower is 4x11 with a 3ft curbless opening on one end and a 14" bench on the other. 3 heads (rain, stationary, & handheld) that can all be on at the same time. It has 6x2 window in it set at shoulder height, and the wall that the shower heads are on is about 18" below the ceiling to let in more light from the window. We most definitely did not want a tub since we would probably never use it, instead the decision was made to oversize the shower. We've been in our new home for about 6 months, and I don't think we would have done anything different.

• cpartist

We plan to squeegee the glass and treat it with rain-x once a month or so. I've also considered trying paste wax to see how long that would last.

Get showerguard glass instead. You never have to treat it again.

To take up the rest of the space from removing the tub we've added a linen closet thats about 3' wide.

The problem is your linen closet as drawn is too deep at almost 4' deep. A linen closet shouldn't be deeper than 2'.

• Sam Goh

We had one of those ever present garden tubs in our last house. Didn't use it a single time in 7 years. This time we nix'ed the tub completely and are just doing a 3.5 X 7.75 ' shower. I know resale bleh but oh well! :)

• cfillyaw

We did the same thing Sam. Our builder told us most of the houses he has been building have a large shower without a tub. We could have went 40"x108", but opted to go with 40"x72".

• Suru

The inside dimension of our shower is 36" x 65." It's plenty big and we have a glass shower door on the end. The door is far enough away that it rarely gets splashed.

The one goof that I did was keep the ceiling height in there at 10' like the rest of the bath. Our framer asked if I wanted to lower it to 8' and I said no because at my old house, the ceiling was 7' tall and it would get mold on in. Unfortunately it is VERY cold in there. Our shower door is 7' tall so there is 3' of open space above that let's all the warmth out. We are going to install a piece of fixed glass starting about 6" above the shower door to the ceiling. I hope that will help.

Virgil Carter Fine Art

If one is really worried about glass shower doors which may have water spots, it's very easy to design showers with no doors at all...!

• jn3344

Now you tell me.

• Pinebaron

Did not start my design this way but made a change soon after we framed the master bath and moved the master bath door. Never had a shower so large but this one is 10’x4’ inside with 9’ floor to ceiling shower glass wall and a door in the center (minus the threshold). Made provision for a whole house water softener, brand/make TBD.