Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rasobel

Walk through Closet into Master Bathroom

6 years ago

Looking at re-designing our master bedroom to make the bathroom en suite. I think the only way to accomplish this and get the most out of the bathroom would be to walk through the closet to get into the bathroom. Is this weird? What are the pros and cons?

Comments (26)

• 6 years ago

HAHAH thank you for that response - informative and made me laugh. :)

• 6 years ago

My allergist told me no clothes in such a damp environment. Encourages dust mites. But even if it didn't do not like the look at all. YMMV

• 6 years ago
    It would depend on the design of the closet. If the contents are hidden behind closed doors, it wouldn't be so bad.
  • 6 years ago
    Several homes in my area have it. I saw two homes reconfigured to have walk through closets. I think it's fine. I would do it if I need to.
  • 6 years ago
    We have just downsized and have a walk through closet, I hated it, annoyed me so much, it didn't have doors and when I laid in bed could see my clothes. Still haven't got doors but I put a Japanese screen across the front. A lot of places are designed like this, I'd prefer a separate closet personally
  • 6 years ago

How to make some kind of thing to organize my sons clothes and be able to look nice in my bedroom

• 6 years ago

If you do this just make sure you have a strong fan to pull out the moisture after a shower (150 CFM).

• 6 years ago

I just built 2, 5 foot wide step in (not walk ins but deeper then regular) closets on either side of the walkway into the MBath. They could have been 6' but I banked each side with built in bookcases facing the bedroom. Each has it's own light and double doors. The door to the bath at the end between them. There is room for each of us to pick clothing and nobody is bothered when in the bath. I've thought about a small area rug and fancy light in the middle but haven't got there yet. It was what fit best and I like it a lot. Hope this helps.

• 6 years ago

I lived in a condo once where that was the layout. It wasn't as bad as I expected and made it easy to convert the bath into a dressing room when you finished bathing.

• PRO
    6 years ago

I've never heard of this layout before but the more I think about it I'm wondering why homes aren't all that way. You use the bathroom for getting ready and the closet to get dressed why shouldn't they be connected. Seems like a time saver!

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Going thru a closet to get to a bathroom is not my idea of a good layout. That makes the bathroom a slave to the closet. It is like having to go through a bedroom to get to another bedroom. Seconded rooms are very limiting.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Search houzz photos for walk through closets. It seems your idea is well supported ..

"Old Town" Sausalito, CA · More Info
    One other thought that might save you some money…if you are near an IKEA, investigate the Pax System. You also can see them installed here on houzz. My daughter had them in her urban concrete loft condo. Amazing...

• PRO
    6 years ago

We are currently working with some folks to create an accessible bath with adjoining closet and the only way to make it work within some reasonable budget is to walk through the closet to get to the bath. In this case, both are good size rooms. There are pros and cons. I would install an inline ventilation system for the bath and closet (3 ducts total) and I would put it on a humidistat so that it runs when necessary whether or not you are there. This will address the issue of any dampness in either space. Inline fans are much more powerful than standard bathroom ventilation but they do require open attic space above the room. We have used Broan and FanTech brands with great success.

• 6 years ago

Funny thing, I'm in the process of doing the same thing. This is my inspiration photo. Make sure you leave a wide hall to get to your bathroom.

Closet · More Info

• PRO
    6 years ago

Great inspiration, however, I suspect the poster doesn't have that kind of space? Great look though, but totally different concept. This I would call a hall way closet system.

• PRO
    6 years ago

map, what I like in your photo, is the mirror panel on the door. Makes the space look bigger and brighter and removes the need for a floor mirror.

• 6 years ago

JudyG Designs me too!

• PRO
    6 years ago

I'm with Flo, it's a bad layout if there's some other way you can achieve the same end. I often get up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and I don't know how I'd do if I had to fight my way through my closet to get there. Of course, that does say something about my closet, doesn't it?

• PRO
    6 years ago

Now imagine one of you got food poisoning or your toddler came to you in the middle of night crying due to stomach flu. You are trying to get to the toilet or the vanity which ever is closer, but you didn't make it. Sorry. God is in the details. Dimensions, design, material, orientation, adjacency relationships all matter. A picture is worth a thousand words. Designers don't talk or text, they draw or sketch. Post a plan.

• 6 years ago
    For what it's worth, this layout has been discussed on Houzz before and is extremely controversial. Many people hate it. I'm not the biggest fan of worrying too much about resale during a remodel, but if you are concerned about resale I'd avoid this layout. Too many people have strong negative feelings about it.

Resale aside, I wouldn't do it unless you are EXTREMELY meticulous about your closet. If you leave shoes out or or drawers open or don't hang up clothes right away (like me!) It will be a nightmare. But if you're a neatnik and this is the most functional design for you, go for it. Be sure to make a good plan for where you will put a full length mirror.
  • 5 years ago

Hi Rachel. I know some time has gone by since this post was active. But I was wondering how you felt about your walk through closet? We are about to embark on a similar design and just wondering if you’ve had some regrets or deep love for this layout. Much appreciated!

• 5 years ago

A better design would be to enter the bathroom door by walking thru a short hallway, with a (walk in) closet on each side, each with its own door.

That should keep the moisture out of the closets, especially if you have an exhaust fan and/or a window in your bathroom.

• 5 years ago
    @map ... did you complete your walk through closet? Regrets? Suggestions?
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@ana_sa46 I haven't finished it yet but I love it. I'm waiting on several other remodeling projects to be finished before I make my final decision on closet doors. I bought the elfa system which I love. I did the shelving in white with white wooden hangers. My husband said it was a super easy system to install and the best purchase I've ever made. I have a double rod of hanging on one side with shelving in the middle. On the right side, I have the elfa drawers with sheving on top. I plan to purchase a makeup table for the center and beside that is a pull out shoe system with shelving on top. Honestly, it feels like a room instead of a closet. I know there is so much controversy about the closet before the bath, but I didn't want the bathroom next to my bedroom. I had that in the past, and I didn't like it. Regarding the moisture problem people are concerned about, put a window in and good vents. Hope this helps. Check out elfa shelving they will design your closet for you for free according to your needs.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@ana_sa46 This gives you an idea of what I’m doing. I’m going to put a makeup table in the middle instead of a bench. I had a lady help with the plans if you would like her name. Feel free to PM me.