Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgirl317

Is BM 1471 Shoreline and 1472 Silver Chain blue-gray colors?

6 years ago

Can anyone tell me if Benjamin Moore 1471 Shoreline and 1472 Silver Chain are in the blue-gray family? I'm trying to tell if they both have a strong blue undertone. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• 6 years ago

Silver Chain in my experience stays very true to it's color. Naturally, in different homes and different lighting things can change a bit. I've used it in numerous settings and find to to fall true though.

IMO, Silver Chain is neutral enough to work terrifically with any color combination as well.

• 6 years ago

Lori, not sure if you are wanting blue or wanting to avoid blue. I believe you are wanting to avoid?

• 6 years ago

Metro gray is another you might want to take a gander at.... a bit lighter than Silver Chain.

With an ideal ratio of blue to red, a gray can feel balanced, when it doesn’t lean too much toward one color or the other. Colors such as 1472 Silver Chain and 1459 Metro Gray appear to be close to a true gray, as both have red and blue undertones.

Lori thanked Porter Edun
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wound up trying shoreline since it was a bit lighter and recommended by one of the decorators I follow, but it turned lavender in the darker half of the room. I had read purple was a slight undertone in it but not really noticeable ...but in my case it turned out to be very noticeable. Not sure if the photos will show it, but I'll attach some in case it helps anyone else considering BM Shoreline 1471.

• 6 years ago

Yes, I see the slight lavender tone in it.

• 6 years ago

In the first photo that is....

• 5 years ago

Hi Porter, We just painted my daughter's room Silver Chain and it's beautiful bc it gets so much natural light. I love it, but decided it's too dark for my upstairs hallway and going down the stairs. I tested two walls upstairs in Silver Chain with 75% less saturation! It is so gorgeous, but my question is, bc I would love to carry it down the stairs to the kitchen and family room....do you think I can still work in warm or cool colors with it? My cabinets are white, island is hale navy, satin brass hardware. my sofa is cream though, but I'll accent with throw pillows....just wondering if my area rug with navy and cream could still work?

• 4 years ago

Dakotacharm - what did you decide?

• 4 years ago

I did Silver Chain at 25% saturation throughout the main floor and upstairs hallway. I kept it at full strength for the dining room because we have wainscotting painted white in there and it was nice to have a deeper contrast. Very happy. If I were to do it again, I'd be happy with full strength throughout the house, bc it's really not that dark. Maybe 50% would be a happy medium.

• 4 years ago

oh and all colors work with it. looks amazing with dark navy and satin brass touches throughout the house.

• 3 years ago

When you said Saturation 25% was that mean.

• 3 years ago

Shoreline is very slightly warm. It is one of the best neutral light greys on the market.

• 2 years ago

I used Shoreline throughout my townhome and love it in most areas. In the smaller (or maybe darker) areas like the bathrooms, it does look lavender! I have a new home I would like a smiliar color but no lavender; maybe less towards brown or red. What would be similar in terms of light/dark but more gray?