Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Dunn Edwards Paint versus Other Brands

5 years ago

Dunn Edwards is a California brand. I know at one time it was widely used and recommended by professionals but is it currently considered to be one of the better paint choices?

Comments (10)

• 5 years ago

I've used D-E as my go to for 40+ years, both on clients houses and my own. Never had an issue.
    Now having said that, I've also on occasion used Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore when a particular painter, owner or designer requests, with great results as well.

Helen thanked cookncarpenter
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks. I know that at one time it seemed to be the paint of choice in Southern California but I don't see it mentioned at all as an option on houzz as people seem to use BM or SW. As I recall, the last time I painted the contractor recommended Dunn Edwards.

It seems as though it's not being mentioned on threads must be because it is a smaller local brand without national exposure.

• 5 years ago

"must be because it is a smaller local brand without national exposure."

Exactly, BM and SW stores are on dam near every corner so they have become household names.......................

Helen thanked millworkman
  • 5 years ago

Thank you all. You have confirmed that Dunn Edwards is not well known because it is local but in Southern California, it remains the choice among most painting professionals as they are less subject to being swayed by national consumer advertising.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I thought it is the paint Professionals use.

The painter who was a transplant to AZ from mid-west, and painted our last remodel claimed " ...and I use Dunn Edwards paint" as one of her "competitive advantage" when she submitted quotes. It has been 5 years, the beautiful paint still looks perfect.

• 2 years ago

lol no competitive advantage. sounds like she gave you a deal and perhaps wasnt licensed or was doing something shady woth the quote hence the deflection in ”her competitive advantage.” DE is okay unless your painting exterior, does not perform at a consistent enough level to warrant using than. But interiors you should be alright

• last year
    last modified: last year

Are you saying DE is no good, yes/no? Which paint and what type of climate is being spoken of?

• last year

Dunn-Edwards is a Southwest paint and very popular. It is a high-quality brand formulated for hot weather with their LEED certified factory located in Arizona and headquarters in Los Angeles, CA. Various quality level lines, with even the "lower" quality still being equal to many other brands mid-quality. Dunn-Edwards also does not advertise- strictly word of mouth. So you might not have heard of them if you're not directly in either the painting/building world or a designer/architect

• 2 months ago

All I know is contractors provide warranties with DE. Nuff said.