Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1

Please help. Should I chlorinate my rain water?

I was talking to an orchid supplier yesterday and he suggested I use chlorine tablets to kill any bacteria there might be in my 30 gallon saved rain water buckets. Is this true?

I was looking at the pool supplies stuff and it seemed like a bad idea after reading all the ingredients and safety precautions.

Then , I thought orchids despise tap water because of the chlorine in it. I don’t get it. Any suggestions, encouragement or advice?

Should I be worried about this?

Thank you in advance

Mike

Comments (16)

• 5 years ago

My orchids are watered using rain water runoff from the house roof stored in a 3000 litre tank. Have never treated it in any way.

If the tank runs dry, I water the orchids with tap water.

• 5 years ago

I would think for 30 gallons a pool tablet would be way too much. Maybe mix in a little tap water or a UV lamp?

• 5 years ago

If you were going to drink that water, then sure, chlorinate it, Watering plants with it is not a problem. You likely have much more and more of a variety of bacteria in the medium your plants are in and that isn't necessarily a bad thing...after all, composting starts with bacteria. I too generally save about 30 gallons of rain water/snow melt at a time and have done this for the last 25 years without issue with orchids or other plants. And if you think about it, how many different forms of bacteria flow down the trunk of a tree in a rainstorm and onto orchids clinging to it?

tj

• 5 years ago

Mike, we live in the same neck of the woods and our water comes from the same source. I assure you, you can grow most orchids easily with our tap water. I thought my Phrags didn't like tap water, but it turned out it didn't like my fertilizer. Make it easier on yourself - the tap we have is fine for our orchids.

• 5 years ago

I wouldn't chlorinate it.

• 5 years ago

Mike,

Let's dig a little deeper... Why do you/your supplier think your water may be an issue?

Bob

• 5 years ago

Normally we want to remove chlorine from tap water before using...adding it is just ludicrous. Unless you feel the orchids have a chlorine deficiency ? :)

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Funny. I was given this advice from a famous orchid supplier from Marlows Orchids ! I wonder why ?

I decided not too based on everyone here. I don’t even like the thought of it.

But he did get me worried about bacteria and crown rot and other causes from not treating it.

I decided to get Physan20 and spray and water my orchids with that once s month. I plan on spraying the walls of the greenhouse too. At least this way I will have peace of mind about my plants contracting diseases.

I would not even know if the roots of mine even had rot or what it was caused from before it’s too late.

i thought growing orchids would be simple.

Thank you

• 5 years ago

Mike, forget about the pristine germ, and fungi free tropical wilderness. it doesn't exist.

Concentrate on getting the growing conditions just right for the types of orchids that you are trying to grow.

Water your plants with seaweed extract once a month???? It is supposed to help the beneficial bacteria and fungi in the mix.

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked arthurm2015
  • 5 years ago

Mike,

Bummer Alert!!! You're not alone bud. A lot of growers here have lost hundreds and hundreds of orchids over the years. I personally lost at least that many in my 1st 10 years of growing because of trying to grow everything and as many as I could possibly fit into my space. I lost 200+ about 10 years ago because of a health issue and a lack of being able to deal with a fungal/disease problem with the 'kids at the same time. I went from 250+ to 7 in 2-3 months. Lesson learned: "Not too many and catch things early".

Since then I learned to control my numbers and have learned what grows for me in my conditions. Better yet, I've learned my conditions and can usually find a way to get 'most' orchids to adapt, Den Aggrevatum (gggrrr!!!) and cool growers being the no-go's for me.

You'll get there, look at what you have that is doing OK or better, and see if over time you can get more plants that enjoy those same conditions. Also, get to know your space and what it is capable of providing as far as light, temps, air movement and humidity (the 1st 3 are more important than humidity IMO).

Hang in there and good luck,

Bob

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked westoh Z6
  • 5 years ago

I vote, don't do it!

Bob, have been thinking of you. Any spikes on that most annoying orchid...I dare not mention the name...but you know which one.......

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked jane__ny
  • 5 years ago

Jane,

No, the aggrevatum is holding up to it's name for me. Plant looks good, but no spikes or flowers. I'm considering composting or a trade.

Bob

• 5 years ago

I appreciate that everyone. Yeah, I have pretty much learned about most that I own. I usually look up the info on growing conditions and needs before I buy them. Some go into my greenhouse, some into a much cooler bright room, some into my sunroom up stairs where it's always warm and humid kind of with a humidifier. Lots of fans in every room and bright sunlight but not direct sun.

I never thought of disease issues until I talked to the orchid grower. I never worried about growing them until he pointed out the possibilities of rot and diseas with shared water or using rain water.. Who knows, but lost I have few due to improper watering more than anything, I think .

Now, I am afraid that I will get a full blown out disease situation that will wipe my collection out. I don't have pest issues.

My only way of making it easy on myself IS to put several into a large tote and soak them all at once. It hydrates the roots really well and when I mentioned that to him, I was told it was a bad idea.

Now more work. The only time it's easier to water all that I have is when they are outside with a hose.

It does say on the Physan20 bottle to spray all my orchids once a month to help prevent algae and disease. So I was thinking if I was to share the same water when soaking many at once, using the recommended amount of Physan20 per gallon and then soaking them without a worry of disease spreading, no?

It seems more than anything, I am now worried about spreading some sort of disease unexpectedly than how to grow them, their feeding, light and air needs, if that makes sense.

I will say that I have not lost any orchids over the past few years except a Phal or two to crown rot but now I prevent that with lots of air movement so that if the crowns get wet when watering, they dry fast.

But now the thought of introducing some sort of bacteria that causes crown or root rot doesn't sit well with me((

Mike

• 5 years ago

Well, crown and root rot are fungal diseases, not bacterial, so no worries there. As long as you water properly you'll be fine.

tj

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • 5 years ago

Don't dunk multiple plants in the same water, even with Physan20 added to the water it may/will pass disease. If you are sure you don't have disease, it may be OK.

Bob

Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.) thanked westoh Z6
  • 5 years ago

I've decided not to worry about it anymore. It is what it is. If I get a disease or some sort of problem, I will deal with it then. Thanks everyone))

I will be using mostly sprayer bottle methd...