Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breakfastincluded

How much counter space is recommended in a kitchen?

5 years ago

I'm thinking of having a long 9' island (with a sink and a cooktop) and an entire wall of tall cabinets behind it. Would that be enough counter space? What's the golden standard for how much counter space to have in a kitchen?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    5 years ago

Ok Simmer Burner - let's start with what you got so far. 9 feet of island - 3' will end up for sink, 3' for cooktop. (Or 30", same difference.) That leaves 3' of free counter. Ideally, 15-18" on one side of the sink so you don't drop glasses off the end. That means you only got 1.5' left of prep at the island.... not a lot. Having at least 2'-3' minimum of straight counter would allow a cutting board & mixing bowl. It's definitely big enough for a killer pb&j.

Tall cabinets take care of your storage - great for swiffers & pull out garbage. I just used a bunch in my last project & was able to use a few open shelves instead of upper cabinets. Also went w/ a 9' island but had a 14' run of countertop behind. Big family. Basically - the 'golden' amount of counter & storage should be proportionate to your cooking skill.

Have fun,

-f

simmer burner thanked Build Beautiful
  • 5 years ago

I agree with first comment -> you need cca 15-18" on the end where your cooktop is, and I would also suggest on the end where the sink is (to not splash water on the floor).

Keep in mind that the most valuable countertop area is the one between sink and cooktop, this is where most of the action happens. I've seen some huge countertops with poorly designed layout in which cooktop and sink are too close. Despite all space it just felt crowded when you prepare food.

simmer burner thanked daneejela
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Maybe post your floor plan and see what pops up for ideas. Right now the answer is you don’t have near enough.

• 5 years ago

Doesn't sound like enough, but all things must be assessed in more context than that.

Also, not only assessed quantitatively, but qualitatively. A inefficient layout with a great many feet of counter space is still an inefficient layout.

Is this a new build? Renovation? Working on the kitchen or entire house? What can be moved, removed, added, and what can't?

Who will cook, simultaneously? How frequently? Who lives here?

Post a layout you're considering, with doors and windows indicated, and a layout of the areas around the kitchen as well, for more constructive feedback.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

9' = 108"

You need a minimum of 15" on the outside edge of your cooktop. And quite honestly, being on an island you really need a lot more for safety.

108" - 15" = 93"

A cooktop is 30".

93" - 30" = 63"

Bare minimum prep space is 30" and as noted more is better. Plus, one never wants the dishwasher in the prep zone.

63" - 30" = 33"

The smallest sink I'd go with is 30". Otherwise you won't have room for large pots, cookie sheets, etc.

That leaves you with 3" on the other side of the sink. Where will you place veggies, fruits and meats to be washed before they're washed or dirty dishes to be washed or loaded into the dishwasher?

Meaning you don't have nearly enough room.

simmer burner thanked cpartist
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Floor plan please...

• 5 years ago
    Total counter space doesn’t matter as much as the amount of counter space you’ll have in specific areas. Your most used counter for prep is typically next to your sink (or between sink in stove in your layout). Will yours be prep or both prep and clean up? I agree if you post a plan people here can help you get maximum counter space where you’ll need it most.
  • 5 years ago

Terrible idea for someone who doesn't cook, or have anyone else in the kitchen helping. A small prep sink and cooktop can occupy a bigger island. But it will cost you lots more money, and you still need a clean up sink elsewhere.

• 5 years ago

آیدانیتو آیدانیتو

Cutting and pasting without attribution is the same crime in any language. No matter how common on the WWW. (And perfectly fine with Houzz?)

• PRO
    5 years ago

Floor plan please...

• 5 years ago

To add to the overwhelming response -- no, you do not have enough counterspace.

All three primary work zones are being crammed into only 108". Yes, I used the word "crammed". You don't have near enough counterspace for working or safety, especially with the cooktop in the island.

IF you want everything in a line (basically, a galley Kitchen), then you need at least:

1.5" counter overhang on the end of the island

+ 24" of safety buffer/emergency landing space

+ 30" cooktop

+ 36" counterspace - the bare minimum, 42" or more is much better

+ 30" sink base

+ 24" DW

+ 1" panel to attach the DW to

+ 1.5" counter overhang on the other end of the island

===========

148" (12'4")

To have 42" instead of 36" for your Prep Zone, add 6" = 154"

To also have a 36" sink base, add 6"

If you want a decent amount of space for your Cleanup Zone for dirty dishes, etc., without them getting in the way of your meal prep/Prep Zone space, I recommend another foot on the DW side, at least.

[Note that this is a bit more than you would need the run was against the wall b/c of the openness of the island.]

If you have seating at the island, be sure you have at least 24" of space b/w the back of the cooktop and the edge of the seating overhang for safety. This buffer minimizes the chances of splattering your visitors with grease or inundating them with steam from boiling water.

Things to think about:

With your Cleanup Zone in the island, you are putting your dirty dishes front and center and on display for everyone to see. Using the sink to stash them won't really be an option b/c you need the only sink for prepping and other activities. Are you OK with that? Some people claim they will change their habits and be sure to never have dirty dishes outside of the DW in their new Kitchens. Realistically, however, that won't happen. Unless you are militant about it now and have been for many years, it won't happen, at least not for long.

What are your plans for venting? I hope to the outside (external). I also hope an overhead range hood, not a downdraft or, worse yet, none at all. Be aware that venting over an island is usually more expensive than against a wall. The hood has to be finished on all sides, be stronger to handle the more and stronger air currents, and larger overall (width of cooktop + 6" for total width and 27" deep).

If you would like some help planning your Kitchen, we need a fully measured floor plan of the space (as Virgil has also requested), a sketch of the entire floor the Kitchen is on, and a few other pieces of information. See the Layout Help FAQ thread from the Kitchens Forum for additional information.

FAQ: How Do I Ask For Layout Help & What Information Should I Include?

(Taken from the Kitchens Forum's "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread.)

Other useful thread from the Read Me thread:

Kitchen Design Best Practice/Guidelines FAQ Threads:

FAQ: Kitchen Work Zones, What Are They?

FAQ: Aisle Widths, Walkways, Seating Overhangs, Work/Landing Space etc

FAQ: How Do I Plan For Storage?

Humorous discussion of workflow and other layout topics:

Looking for layout help? Memorize this first.

• 5 years ago

It doesn't matter how big my kitchens have gotten over the years ... 90% of the time I end up working in the 2 feet to the right of the main sink. Maybe a habit developed when that was all I had to work with. My mother does the same thing too!

• 5 years ago
    Don’t design by rules of thumb. If you have a layout post it.
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Floor plan please...

• PRO
    5 years ago

I was quite accustomed to only have a 24" workspace between my stove and refrigerator. I thought it was fine. It's amazing how adaptable we humans are! I now have 5 ft and wonder how I ever lived with only 2 ft.

Think about how you prepare a meal. Are you alone in the kitchen? Are others helping? How often do you entertain? Do others help you at that time?

I live alone and even when I was married, my late husband did not help with cooking. After the children had left home, he would set the table, and he did all the clean-up after a meal. But as I've gotten older, when I host a holiday family meal, I need the help of others in my kitchen. My kitchen is NOT open concept, so I have 4 walls with which to work. I'm usually the one at the stove and plating the main course on the plates laid out on that 5 ft countertop and the 4 ft island/cart behind me. One person is on the other side of the kitchen preparing the salad, or later, the dessert. And a 3rd is at the sink cleaning up things from cocktail hour and later after each course is served. A 4th person is my "runner", taking plates to and from the DR. I have enough room that no one is dancing around another saying " excuse me"!

To me, loads and loads of countertop are imperative for me. And I want it in different spaces where no one is stepping over one another. But since we all cook and entertain differently, think about how YOU use your kitchen and what YOU need.