Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9482373

Living/Dining Room - improve aesthetic of room?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi There, what can I do to improve the aesthetic of the living and dining area. I'm pretty satisfied with it - modern farmhouse style. It is pretty cozy and nice in my opinion. The door that opens into the living room drives me crazy (and I'm learning to make peace with it as I don't want to spend $50k+ for an addition). I've tried other layouts, but this is the only one that works in my opinion.

I was thinking of getting curtains for the corner windows. There could probably be something under the maps, but I'm not sure what. The tv wall could also have something. Open to suggestions!

Current Layout:

Basket under windows for shoes.

Tried the layout with the sofa under the map but as you can see, very awkward to have it facing the door (living room is small, couch is deep)

Comments (17)

• PRO
    4 years ago

The art work by the window is too high. I am not sure you really need the wooden chair in there I think the leather one is enough or two smaller matching chairs. think simple linen curtains would work for the window maybe add some sea grass blinds to start then layer if you think it needs it. That sofa is super deep so its sucking up some floor space. i think you have done a great job!

• 4 years ago

It looks really nice and comfy. All I would do:. Get rid of the builder door if you have the budget, maybe a nice lamp or two to flank the couches, and more interesting pillows and a throw for the couch. I'd also probably get a tray for the coffee table and relocate that one plant. I might look at brass or copper tones for lamp and tray. I also think your artwork needs to be lowered.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Without a floor plan to support my idea, I am going to suggest you switch the dining room and the living room.

And, most definitely, buy a new front door.

• 4 years ago

What kind of door would you suggest? Colors?

Also, I'm open to changing out that horizontal painting. I like the colors in that painting I have. I think it would look weird vertical in that much space, so I could replace it all together with something that fits better - I just don't know what.

• 4 years ago

We would need to see the exterior to recommend a door. Def something more modern and simple.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Door selection depends on the style of the home and how much glass you're willing to accept.

• 4 years ago

Here's the exterior. the front door is white. Hard to see but behind the tree it's white.

• 4 years ago

following

• 4 years ago

Pretty, cozy, and cheerful rooms! Maybe the painting rotated to vertical only seems odd to you because you're used to it being horizontal? Its colors look SO nice in your room. If you could find an attractive plant hanger/basket (not just a macrame cheapie), the plant on the coffee table might look nice hanging in front of the window adjacent to the front door. Unless it gets too much sun there or blocks access to the shoe basket :)

• 4 years ago

Any of Beverly's doors would be better on your house than that Victorian thing.

I really like your living room. I think you've done a wonderful job. If you don't rotate the art to the vertical (and I don't think you need to), lower it a good half the distance to the back of the couch. The framed art in the dining area is too high as well. Here's a rule: art goes at eye level unless it's over a piece of furniture in which case it goes 5 - 8" above so the two read as a unit. When you sit at the dining table, you should not have to look up to see the art.

• 4 years ago

I like the arrangement in picture #1. Your space looks so inviting. Not that I think you need to swap the living room and dining, but just because I'd love to see more of your charming space, but can you post a picture of your dining area :-)

Also, do you know your wall color? I like that it has just enough contrast with the white trim but a really nice neutral color without looking blah.

• 4 years ago

I love your wall art. I really think it brings a very pretty shade of color to your pretty neutral room. I would lower it though.

• PRO
    4 years ago

yes, just lower it.

• 4 years ago

What do you all think if I paint the ceiling same color as the wall? Do you think the differing color makes my walls look shorter?

• 4 years ago

I almost always paint my walls and ceilings the same colors, but in your room, I don't think it will make much difference.

• 4 years ago

Your home is beautiful and inviting. My first thought was to wonder why the picture is sideways. :-) I like the colors in the space and suggest you try it the other way before replacing it.