Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_brown

Black or White Kitchen Table and Chairs?

10 years ago
See before and after of kitchen makeover. I am having the hardest time deciding what color to paint my table and chairs. The fabric I'm going to recover the chairs in is what you see a little bit of on top of the table- the black and white. So, either would go, I just don't know what would look best. Thank you for your opinions!

Comments (50)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    I probably would have said black but after seeing the design of the chairs, I think white, it will reflect the light to help the room stay nice and bright! like the blue on the walls!
    Paula Brown thanked Essentia Interior Design
  • 10 years ago
    Nice updates!

It depends on which look you would prefer: white would give a more feminine feeling and black would be more masculine and modern. Do you have a picture taken from the other side of the room?

Is the table the same honey color as the chairs?

If it were my space, I might strip and stain the top of the table in a shade that compliments the floor and then just paint the legs black. When there are a lot of painted surfaces, it's good to keep some wood grain when you can to keep the room from feeling cold.

For the chairs, if I stained the table top, I'd paint the chairs to match the legs of the table. If I painted the table, I would either stain the chairs with a cool-colored wood tone or paint them blue. A different shade than the walls, but one that compliments the wall color, to add more depth to the decor.
    Paula Brown thanked Christina
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you. I love your idea, but it's not possible with this table. It's already been primed for painting, but it WAS the same color as the chairs before I did that. :) Here's a picture from the other side, although the lighting is poor.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hmmm....new picture gives more perspective. I say white! :)
    Paula Brown thanked What's Inside Design Ltd.
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you, yeah, I was worried that white would make it look too "country" and that is definitely not what I want. I'd love to get a new table eventually but for now it's not in the budget.
  • 10 years ago
    Haha...see what I mean? It's tricky!
  • 10 years ago
    (For what it's worth, I'm losing the rug as soon as the table is painted one way or the other)
  • 10 years ago
    I think black may pop better against your wall color and the white. The table/chairs in this photo aren't black but just to show something dark.
    Ft. Worth Historical Residence · More Info
    Paula Brown thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    Funny, when you posted that angle, I'd say black! :) You are right, especially with the style of the chairs, white would look country, black would look more modern.
    Paula Brown thanked Christina
  • 10 years ago
    I would paint the chairs red ... looks great with that shade of blue!

The 2nd pic is Sharon Osbourne's kitchen :)
    Paula Brown thanked indianpatti
  • 10 years ago
    I vote black chairs
    http://houzz.com/photos/505014
    Paula Brown thanked Judy M
  • 10 years ago
    Funny you mention that, I have considered this, but my accent color is a bright red/orange, not red, but close enough. I'm just not sure I can be that brave. :)
  • 10 years ago
    Judy, table too?
  • 10 years ago
    Another vote for black chairs from me!
    Paula Brown thanked handymam
  • 10 years ago
    Its just paint! Be brave!
  • 10 years ago
    I knoooooow but it's such a pain in the rear if I have to re-do it! Hah!
  • 10 years ago
    I think black will look great.
    Paula Brown thanked Ann
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would do a mix- Black and white.
    Paula Brown thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Do one of each and see which one you actually like better. It's easier to repaint one chair to be the color you like best than it is to paint all of them and find out you really don't like any of them.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Have you thought of silver? I'm debating painting my own chairs.
  • 10 years ago
    I would keep with the theme you have already established by mixing - my preference if it was my kitchen would be to go with a black table and chairs - you could paint the backs and legs of the chairs black and the seats white.
  • 10 years ago
    With that particular blue on the wall, my vote is neither black nor white, but a dark gray, in a gloss finish…in particular, Bm Amherst Gray.
    Amherst Gray HC-167 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    I think black chairs and a white table would be nice. I'd add flowers or a bowl of fruit for color. You can also add color with place mats and napkins and change it up depending on the season.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with judianna20. It's a fairly tight space at that end of the room and black will be visually busy. I would go with a slightly warmer grey, however, in high gloss. Not so distracting, a great complement to the blue and give you more options to layer some complexity in with art, window treatments. Go girl!
  • 10 years ago
    Love the new kitchen! Did you have your cabinets professionally painted? I have the same color oak cabinets and want to paint them. I like the idea of black table and chairs since you're trying to go more modern.
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe you can also use your orange/red color if/when you go back to using barstools. Makes a statement, but it's not too much of a commitment. You have worked hard on this---congratulations and good luck! Please post photos when you're finished!
  • 10 years ago
    Let me throw a wrench, but a good one I think! The room looks great, but I think you should consider painting the cabinetry black. It will blend great with your appliances and the overall cool vibe of the kitchen. Then, I suggest that you do a black and white harlequin pattern for the table. It is easier than you think and my friend just did it a couple of weeks ago on a small table. I can link you to the simple tutorial if you would like to consider it! Great job by the way.
  • 10 years ago
    I like the idea of a black table, with the chairs painted a deeper shade of the walls. Then your black/white seats really would pop! You can put your contrasting reddish orange on a tabletop accent vase, etc.
  • 10 years ago
    So many wonderful suggestions. How could you go wrong on any of them?
  • 10 years ago
    You have done a great job so far - nice transformation. I would recommend black chairs and table but a warmer fabric such as this from Pottery Barn for seat covers so it is less stark - http://www.potterybarn.com/products/fabric-by-the-yard-max-stripe/?pkey=e%7Cfabric%2Bby%2Bthe%2Byard%7C25%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C4&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    White or light continues the theme from the stair railing
  • 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago
    Here's white table
    http://houzz.com/photos/1159964

I would prefer wood stained top and black legs, but I think that ship has sailed, right?
  • 10 years ago
    Another all black table
    http://houzz.com/photos/185357
  • 10 years ago
    Love the black table and chairs above!!
  • 10 years ago
    White chairs.
  • 10 years ago
    Black chairs, white table, black and white seat cushions in a bold stripe.
  • 10 years ago
    I voted black, but I REALLY like the Judy M picture with a white table and black chairs, even more so if you could do the table in the same color white as the cabinet paint.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of a white table with black chairs. In the picture Judy M posted, it looks like the seat cushions are very similar to the fabric you said you're using. Very classic looking.
  • 10 years ago
    I like the idea of making the table white and chairs black.
  • 10 years ago
    Black chairs...white table ...no tablecloth...something in center of table like black wrought iron with colors in it that bring it all together, or runner or place mats with black, cream, browns blues
  • 10 years ago
    Well. I couldn't decide so I slapped a coat of black on the table. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it. I love love love the idea of the white table and black chairs......I guess I'll be repainting a table soon. Thank you for all the amazing ideas.
  • 10 years ago
    looks good
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    How about white chairs and black table now that you painted a coat of black on the table? My son and his wife painted a table white and they were constantly repainting because it was hard to keep it free of marks. I bet your fabric for the seats will look great on white chairs =)
  • 10 years ago
    I find black to be too harsh of a colour and doesn't harmonize with the other colours. Stay with happy colours and it will continue to motivate you and encourage your mood on a day to day basis! I love the blue, can you tell me what colour it is please. I am considering it for my walls with canvas coloured cabinets. Thanks!
  • 10 years ago
    The table would look great black, minus the top, try re-staining it before paintingg it if you don't like it then paint it black..The chairs Black. Chairs and tables get knicked up easily, you might want to use "marine grade paint". I Love your fabric it would look great on the seats, Consider this though, What I see is your counter by stove is to light with white cabinets. I was always told if cabinets are white you go with a dark counter , dark cabinets (like your island) look great with the white counter. You might consider changing one or the other black...White cabinets black or darker counter..OR you could also use a Wood counter they are coming back and look awesome with white cabinets. ( I don't know if the counter is "new" and what material it is...The island is perfect,leave that alone.... you can do the one against the wall the complete opposite..white cabintes with a much darker speckled blk white granite or wood counter .(ikea is reasonable). to match/blend with the table top. Just throwing some ideas around...you need to make that area where stove is POP! This way you can add any color accessories... and then thats all you would do to change it when you get tired of it is paint & accessories....Good Luck!
  • 10 years ago
    Since you are using red-orange as your accent color you could paint the chairs that color. Not too matchy though. Also I have a table where the top is stained and the legs are painted red, then black, and sanded letting some of the red show through. It would introduce the red again and yet be a 'strong' leg color.
  • 10 years ago
    Since you have already painted your table black but like the white table idea, what about leaving the top black, and distressing the legs, after painting them white? Check out this link: http://paintedfurnitureideas.com/distressing-techniques-for-painted-furniture/

If it were me, I would also paint a layer of the red/orange accent color before the layer of white...

Paint your chairs black.

Have fun!!
  • 10 years ago
    White.
    Because the chairs are tall and therefore visually vertical like the stair rods, door etc.
    black is the colour of more horizontal aspects, so may create a criss crossing effect of couloir me thinketh!