Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinhoene

Build a barndo/shouse or traditional house?

last year

Hi all, my wife and I are planning to build within the next few years. We have 3 kids, but our 2 oldest will be in high school/college by the time we build. We’d still like 4 bedrooms to accommodate each kid when they’re home, but won’t have the same needs for bathrooms that we currently have.

We’d like to build a home that allows us to age in place and will be low maintenance. We like the radiant floor heat in our current home and the look of polished concrete. For these reasons, we’re leaning towards building a barndo/shouse with no steps between garage and home instead of a traditional house. Any disadvantages to barndo/shouse if we want a 1 story home without basement? We won’t need financing and won’t be constrained by lot size or HOA issues. We prefer a more modern look.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    last year

I don't understand why this is a choice . A barndo usually is a steel building on a concrete slab not much different than a container home IMO . You can have all the things you want in a traditional home so maybe explain a bit more about the choice. If you want infloor heating I like the ability to access that from a basement rather than house it in a space on the main floor . Where you live will decide if you do or do not need at least a crawl space . IMO a nice walkout basement is great living space and keeps the price of building a nice sized home down. We have a MCM ranch with a full walkout and it is so nice with south facing windows in the basement we spend a huge amount of time there . We have no steps to our main entry and BTW we are both in our mid to late 70s . We figure if the time comes when we can't walk the stairs we will will get one of those stair lifts but so far so good. I think your next step is to talk to an architect that works in your area and of course you want to build to work with your lot . As for bathroom needs that will not change much as the kids multiply the same needs will be there. BTW I love concrete floors and they are perfect for infloor heating.

• last year

Take time to find the right lot and the right architect. If this is the last house you're ever going to own, make it your own. There are literally millions of pictures on Houzz. Create Ideabooks that have pictures of exteriors and interiors you like. This will help you communicate what you're looking for to your architect.

• last year

We built a 2 story home 6 years ago with a side walkout basement. The walkout windows and 10’ ceilings make the basement a beautiful space that doesn’t feel like a basement, but we really only use the exercise room and theater in the basement and really only entertain in our kitchen, living room, covered patio on main floor. The bathroom comment was made because we plan on 4 bedrooms with only 2 full bathrooms since we will be empty nesters shortly after building our home.

We’re considering a barndo because of the appeal of a 1 story building with a concrete slab for radiant floor heat. You mention a barndo being a steel/container home. Is there a downside to living in a steel home if it’s fully insulated and finished like any other home on the inside other than the appearance from the outside? Not being rhetorical - seeking advice about pros/cons. I’ve seen barndos on Houzz with white metal/black trim that are appealing to me. Maybe I’m missing the downside of barndos, but I believe they are also a little cheaper and faster to construct. Thanks in advance!

• PRO
    last year

A barndo that meets all the modern building codes is one of the most expensive options. Steel is still more than wood. People that do this,skimp on things, because "it's a barndo, and we don't have codes". They usually do not insulate it properly, or heat and cool it comfortably. They also do a lot of the work themselves.

• last year

I agree on the first floor / single floor. I have a great house right now with a walkout basement, but all my living space on the first floor. I thought I would like to age in place here, but....

The WORST part of this house is that I am disconnected from the ground. In order to gt to the back yard, I am either walking down a lot of stairs from the deck (those nice high basement ceilings take steps!) of hoofing it outside around back downhill / uphill.

The problem with the barndominium is that you get wicked issues with trying to insulate it (because the steel is an excellnt conductor) . You have to deal with potential condensation and to do it right you almost end up building a 2x4 shell inside the metal shell.

You should work with an architect to define a space that can accommodate your family using flexible spaces and get you that single floor living.

I did exactly this for the new house (longest) project (ever). Even though we're still not in - walking out to the ground level screened porch or the sidewalk arpound the house all at ground level is super nice. You really use the outside more.

• last year

I would concentrate on the floorplan and make sure that your needs are perfectly met on the main floor of the home.

My sisters each had homes build with the plan for visiting kids after they became empty nesters.

One added a wing onto the main living area that had 2 bedrooms and a bathroom, the other added a 1/2 second story with 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.

Both plans allowed for the kids to come home and stay with their spouse and younger children that provided a sense of privacy, an isolated area for the little ones to sleep, no worries that mom and dad would hear them if they were having sex or an argument.

When the kids weren't there the wing or area could be shut off and heated/conditioned minimally.

For the main floorplan read about aging in place and the spacing needed for walkers and wheel chairs, ability to

Once you have planned the perfect layout you can decide with your architect how you want this to be built.

I have not lived in a steel building, but I have had basements, slabs and crawl spaces.

One issue I had with concrete slab that was expensive and a PITA was when I had a leak in the drainpipe under the shower. They had to jackhammer out the concrete to do the repair.

Another issue that I didn't have, but knew all too much about when selling real estate in California was the issue of cracked slabs. If the slab cracks and shifts it can compromise the entire building.

I didn't have a basement for the past 30 years and bought a home that was built with only a partial basement. I don't store much in the basement or use it as a living space. It is only about 24'x24', but it does house my workbench, tools, furnace, hot water heater, Christmas decorations and a few outdoor items that can't withstand freezing.

In my old home I used part of the garage for this type of storage and my laundry was in the garage. This didn't leave enough room for 2 cars.

I like that the crawl space in the non-basement area of the home was made deep enough that plumbers, electricians and other workers don't complain. It is an 7' deep crawl space, so they walk around without hunching over.

If you don't want a basement make sure to plan for all your storage needs.

• last year

My MIL built herself a great aging-in-place home. It has a very slight incline up to the front porch, and from garage into the house. Gentle enough that you don't notice it if you aren't looking for it. You don't have to go to barndos or other unusual forms to get a step-free entry.

I would strongly recommend including at least 3 bathrooms. Aging in place means planning for the kids & grandkids visits, when an extra bathroom will be very handy. Another thing an extra bathroom does is give you flexibility to create a private bed/bath area for a live-in helper down the road.

• last year

Others have mentioned the concrete floors and I love having LVT in my current home. My last home was all tile, which is just as hard and unforgiving as concrete.

My legs, feet and back are much happier with LVT. They ached every night in my last home once I got older. I moved and within a month most of the pain stopped. My husband ended up with hip and knee replacement surgery after living on tile and working a job where he was on hard surfaces most of the day.

I also break far fewer dishes. Anything that dropped on my old floor was bound to break.

Not so much now. I think I have broken one glass and one dish in the past 5 years.

• last year

I built a barndo and honestly, if it didn't operate as an actual barndominium, meaning it's a living space connected to a barn where I keep horses I would go with a traditional build. You will run into fewer issues due to most builders being more comfortable with stick built as well as not running into problems with steel construction. If you do decide to go the barndominum route make sure your builder has a lot of experience with that type of construction. it will save a lot of headaches in the future. I also think a more modern look would be easier to achieve with a traditional build.

I wouldn't skimp on bathrooms though. I have rarely been disappointed that I had an extra bathroom. When you are in the building process they arent particularly costly to add in but if you want one later it's a hassle due to water lines etc. Also when your kids get older and have families and their own kids its nice to have an extra bath.

I can't speak to radiant floors being in a slab foundation but I do agree that once you have radiant floor heat you get spoiled. Its what I miss most about our old house.

I second the LVP recommendation over the polished concrete. I have the LVP in our barndominium and LOVE IT. Im not sure about radiant heat with LVP though so I will leave that to the flooring experts.

• last year

I, too, would get more than 2 bathrooms. We have kids with spouses, all in the process of giving us grandchildren 🥰. My rental is 4 bathrooms which sounds ridiculous as it’s mostly me alone. But it fills up quickly with all the kids and spouses here plus an occasional nephew, in-law or friend. Go for at least 2-1/2 baths. I’d rethink concrete floors too. Very hard on old bodies, not to mention breakage issues.

• 10 months ago

Hi Kevinhoene

I was wondering where you are at and if you are still going for barndo? I am in a similar position, wanting to build a one story barndo with polished concrete floors as empty nesters. I have build many traditional houses, including one with concrete floors, which albeit loud, I loved. ( the dogs slid a bunch, but they go used to it).

I know exactly what I want in a house, but am looking into barndominium because they, supposedly, are cheaper. But maybe not. I have seen many plans that are more house and less barn.

if you see this let me know where you are at.

Thanks

• PRO
    10 months ago

There is no way for a barndominium to be cheaper than a standard built. You are building a barn, and then framing out a house inside it, for it be comfortable, and work. Skip the expense of the barn, and figure out what siding you want on the framed out house!