Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Smoked and Roasted Chicken

Didn't get a chance to post this. A roasted and smoked chicken for Thanksgiving.

The chicken was a "Buddhism Exemption" chicken. Smoked in the rotisserie. It was stuffed with chestnut stuffing, and served with cranberry / raspberry sauce.

dcarch

Comments (10)

• last year

Nice bird. Gas cooker? What did you use for smoke?

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked fawnridge (Ricky)
  • last year

I want some! Beautiful roots!!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked plllog
  • last year

That looks amazing!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked John Liu
  • last year

I do believe I see lotus root!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked matthias_lang
  • last year

Looks amazing.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked Fun2BHere
  • last year

Wow! Making something ordinary exotic! Achieved!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked nicole___
  • last year

Thank you everyone, you are very kind!

fawnridge (Ricky) - Nice bird. Gas cooker? What did you use for smoke?

Yes, propane cooker, Apple pellet smoke tube.

matthias_lang - I believe I see lotus root!

Yes lotus roots. You may have noticed that Buddha always sit on lotus flower. This chicken, as I said is a Buddhism Exemption chicken. Seems appropriate to me to include lotus. Symbolically, lotus gets no dirt, very pure. As a matter of fact, in science, there is a term called the lotus effect.

petalique - What woodchips did you use for flavoring the roast? was is very or minimally smoked?

I used apple wood pellets. Originally I was going to do a long smoke. I modified the 6-hour smoke tube to be able to do 12 hours, then I changed my mind and did just 4 hours.

Yeah, I feel rotisserie can do the best roasted chickens. Mine rotisserie is a home made with my gas BBQ grill. Not difficult to do.

dcarch

• last year

Maybe sometime I will show photos of the Jenn air rotisserie unit. I’d like to fashion/create/manufacture/kludge together some adjustable bracket. I want (I guess I want?) a couple of different heights to where the pins or end of the roto unit fit, so that I can have a way to adjust the heat (well, in the case of a static level fire as with charcoal. I guess if propane, I can just turn the flame down.

Yes, I think the roating, self basting of a rotisserie must give great flavor. In Chestnut Hill, MA therenis a deli sort of place with a rotisserie cooking ribs, chicken and whatever. I’ve nevered ordered food there beyond coffee, but have been tempted to do a smash and grab on the rotisserie set up.

I guess Webber sells a charcoal kettle that will accept a Webber rotisserie unit. But, I don’t want to spend the money since I already have two Jenn Aire roto units. I’m just lacking the hardware to support the units and a means to fasten it securely to the grill/heat set up. Maybe some metal garden fence posts, some sheet metal and a rivet gun. Or I could get 6 bottles of wine and a friend and I can spend an hour rotating a chunk of meat manually. In August heat.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked petalique
  • last year

invite me to your next creativity party.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked bragu_DSM 5