Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

A Quick Mother's Day Dinner

last year
last modified: last year

Prime rib in a sous vide bag, flip a switch, then pan seared finish with veggies. Not much skill needed for a perfect beef dinner.

Dissert, on the other hand, a simple idea, but took a much longer time and didn't turn out the way I had planned. Couldn't make round mochi ice cream, dough was very sticky and ice cream was melting too fast. So ended up with short cut mochi sandwiches instead.

dcarch

Comments (10)

• last year

Your beef and vegetables look amazing. I have to admit though to never attempting mochi - in fact I've never been served mochi. No experience with it at all.

We had a quick grilled steak and Michael Symon's charred kale and endive salad. We'd spent the afternoon at a 5 yr olds dance recital that somehow included all from toddlers to teens. Busy crowded place ;)

We like the charred salad. It's unattractive to the point I'd never serve it to guests. While it doesn't taste like one, it looks like a burned mistake.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • last year

Well...but if one didn’t know they were supposed to be mochi, they look nice to eat. Did they taste good? Dinner sure looks tasty!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked plllog
  • last year

I think that the sandwiches are a brilliant outcome! What flavor of ice cream is that? It all looks pretty darned delicious, to me.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • last year

Thanks Rob333. Yeah, they all tasted good, but I can't take credit. The steak was good because the computer software programmer designed the cooking software for the sous vide cooker to make perfect steak and the mochi's ice cream was bought from the store. The dough was only sugar plus flour.

morz8 , that's what I should have done. Char the veggies while charring the steak.

plllog , Thanks. Yeah all tasted good. Including the sauce for the steak, home grown shiitake mushroom sauce.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7 , thanks. The ice cream was coffee, from the store.

dcarch

• last year

You're so silly! Seriously? Great job!

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • last year
    last modified: last year

dcarch, if I'm being honest, in my opinion the modesty with regards to sous vide is getting old. The only thing that circulator did was cook it evenly throughout. It didn't season it, it didn't finish it, it didn't create the mushroom sauce, even if you used the bag juices in the sauce. It didn't do anything you couldn't have done in a low oven, it just did it with a slightly different end texture. Ok, I guess it gave you bag juice if that's what you used. Nobody sings the virtues of an oven or a skillet or a grill every time they post, no need to give undue credit to sous vide. YOU made it. You even grew the darned mushrooms! /rantover 🙂

Your whole meal looks great. Even uncontroversial!

Years ago I got interested in making mochi so that I could flavor them to my family's liking. I mail ordered two boxes of glutenous rice flour (or whatever it was) and like most of my endeavors I totally forgot about it. Quite a while later I came across those boxes, and couldn't for the life of me remember what I bought them for. I left them in the cabinet, and when I moved I stared at them for a while again with no clue, and if I remember correctly they were well past sell-by so I tossed them. Recently I had a new interest. Ah-ha!!!

You had a nice save with those sandwiches. I'm sure everything was delicious.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked foodonastump
  • last year

I wouldn't turn down that ice cream sandwich, although I also have no experience with mochi. The vegetables look nice and fresh too and if that beef was rare, double bonus!

Annie

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked annie1992
  • last year

dcarch, because of you, I want square plates!

SWMBO, the potter of the house, will have to figure out how to make them. Can’t throw a square :-)

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m thanked John Liu
  • last year

John Liu , I always thought that a square plate makes sense. It is the most efficient geometry for maximum food capacity on a limited real estate of a dining table.

Annie, with sous vide, it will guarantee you the exact degree of cooking as you prefer, regardless of your cooking experience.

FOAS, every time I use the sous vide cooker I can't help but thinking about the incredible accomplishment of the miraculous sophistication of the engineering. Anyone, any age, if he she wants perfectly timed and cooked meat, as long as he/she can flip a switch and push a few buttons, the end result will be as specified, regardless if the meat is room temperature or frozen, the kitchen is warm or cold, the pot is aluminum or clay, the meat is thin and small or thick and heavy,

dcarch