Shop Products
dsimber

Wanted! Design guidance for projects, inside and out!

last year
last modified: last year

Several projects are being juggled by my "Houzz mates," and new ones are surely coming. I'll try to keep the current project in "Favorite Answer." This is a continuation of a thread that has gone missing. Several areas are under revision as of Spring 2023. Edited for better photos. Lower left image is mockup from my lost thread. It shows the approximate location of the watercolors we want to avoid blocking as best we can.

Comments (3.4K)

• last month

Pat, I’ve done the research. DNR, state extension office, etc. Landscaper has even more info re: local issues with specific trees that they no longer recommend for this area. My challenge is finding trees that won’t eventually be too large for my lot.

• last month

Pat, planting native is a great idea…and it’s turning into an actual movement. I don’t know if this organization exists in the USA but it’s happening here in Canada.

I did a 10 year plan for one of our homes and planted 2 trees among my plantings that would be removed at about the 10 year point. This gave me time for the slower growing species to mature and it worked out really well. We ended up selling before the 10 year point but I gave my plan to the new owners and they carried it further. So that might be something to consider.

• last month

Kcooz, the crew finished yesterday. I’ll be ready when a hot, dry spell occurs!

Hi dsimber..finally have my living room sofa info for you…I miss spoke that sofa is a Sherrill not Bernhardt..sorry one of my guest beds was Bernhardt and it was on the same furniture order as the sofa.

• last month

Thank you, Julie!

• last month

Yay for the irrigation! We had a Sherrill and a Bernhardt in the past. Both were great sofas.

Yesterday at our New comers Luncheon, we do a $5.00, 50/50 fundraiser. Winner gets $100.00. I won! As they walked towards me, I stood up and told them to put it into the scholarship fund. Then the whole room broke into applause! I was so surprised, and I immediately sat back down. But we gave out 12 $1,000.00 scholarships to students in our 5 high schools. Then we gave 5 donations to local charities. We prefer to concentrate on scholarship rather than donations, as they have more resources than the students.

• last month

Wow Gls! That is amazing! Congrats on the winnings and bless your heart on the donation! That was the nicest thing I’ve heard in a long time. Scholarships are the best idea. I’m super happy to hear about such a generous group of people doing such a wonderful thing! Hopefully when I get retired I’ll be able to find a group of folks like you have become to know. He’ll probably be gone by then and I’ll have to volunteer or get involved in something that is good 💗

• last month

Kudos, Glassy, for your involvement in an organization that gives scholarships and also donates to local charities. Thanks for sharing that.

That’s so lovely Gls! Win win win! Love that!

• last month

Great story…thanks for sharing Gls…a scholarship like that can mean sooo much to a student ask me how I know! A $500 scholarship started me on my teaching career and artist’s path. It was a big deal. Kudos to your group, and to you for your donation 😘🌹🌹🥂

• last month

Shannon O'Toomey

April 24

• last month

Shannon O'Toomey

April 21

Happy Sunday!My Quail Daffodils are always the very last to open, and they’ve opened! If you’re looking to have several weeks of daffodils, these are a good season-extender, they bloom later than other daffodils. I’ll post a picture of them in situ, in the comments, they have naturalized faster than any other variety I have. They’re also noted to be the longest lasting bloomers.

• last month

Their so beautiful!🥰

I love daffodils!! What beautiful displays. But my heart is with Lilacs!! Love that picture or vase too. Very special!

• last month

Wow!

• last month

Smell of lilacs my favorite childhood memory. We have never gotten it together to plant a bush here.

Love the lilacs too! growing up we had one side of the yard lined with lilac bushes and the back was a long row of concord grape vines.

• last month

My grandmother had two huge lilac bushes on either side of the path to the fields behind her house where she picked all her berries for her wine. I too will never forget their fullness and beauty and fragrance. I so wish they could grow here but it gets too hot for them. Those bushes were probably 15 or more feet high!

• last month

I love my lilac bushes especially this time of year

• last month

Beautiful kjoy!!!

Kjoy wow I can smell them from here!🤗

• last month

So pretty, Kjoy! Seems that lilacs were widely used when some of us were still in our childhood homes. Nostalgia. They formed a fence above our backyard terraces at the first home we bought. I haven’t had them for a couple of decades. But YS and DIL just bought a bush last week.

• last month

I had three lilac bushes at our patio home in Missouri. Two purple and one white. My sister bought our patio home, and routinely sends me pictures of the flowers and shrubs we plants. 😢😢

• last month

I remember a huge hedge of lilacs beside the barn in the farmhouse that I grew up in in May. There’s something about lilacs that are extra special.

• last month

Beautiful kjoy!

• last month

Happy Mother's Day d i s e m b e r and anyone else!

dsimber thanked happyleg
  • 29 days ago

Another fun share. Keeping me inspired.

• 29 days ago

So beautiful! VERY inspirational!

• 28 days ago

Another share from Shannon O'Toomey!

• 28 days ago

She’s definitely a very skilful flower arranger. I’m amazed anybody could pull off that troll doll arrangement!

• 28 days ago

I thought you might enjoy that, Lia!

• 18 days ago

Where are you dsimber? Any luck researching sofas? Or fabrics? 🤔

• 16 days ago

Checking in for first time in quite a while. I drove to NW Iowa for my cousin’s funeral, thinking I’d be home the next day. My mom wasn’t feeling well, and the next day she went into A-fib for the first time. After 8 hours in the ER, some meds, and a short hospital stay, she went back to her apartment. She then had a problem with bp, so we took her to see a cardiologist, but bp had already stabilized. During this time, she had hallucinations and was overstimulated. Finally, she is rested enough to have more normal days. Tomorrow, I’m driving back to Iowa City. Having been gone for two weeks, it’s going to take me a while to reschedule outdoor projects. Once those are finished, I’ll get back to the sofa fabric.

• 16 days ago

^assisted living^ apartment (We just call it her apartment so she accepts not living on her own. She’s surprisingly attached to some of her caregivers, and they to her. One calls her grandma!)

• 15 days ago

I am glad to learn your mom is now in a stable routine again. That is so important for them at this stage of their life. Safe travels and stay in touch! 😊

dsimber thanked glschisler
  • 14 days ago

Welcome home… I think before you plunge back into decor you need to just take some time for some TLC for yourself

dsimber thanked liasch

Hi Dsimber..I sent out the drapery fabric samples yesterday..sorry it took so long!

dsimber thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • 12 days ago

Thank you, Julie! Sending those was so kind of you. <3

• 10 days ago

Julie, your package arrived on Saturday! The fabrics are beautiful and I'm so glad you marked the one you chose for your bedroom. Thank you!!! ❤️ Down the road, when I have this all pulled together, I hope to be able to pass these along, as you have.

• 4 days ago

from Shannon O'Toomey...

Here’s what’s blooming today:

Foxglove, Spiderwort (3 colors!), False Indigo, Peonies, and Siberian Iris.

• 4 days ago

🥰

dsimber thanked liasch
  • 3 days ago

My coloring book has been a way for me to stay busy

dsimber thanked Seajay Sparkles
  • 3 days ago

Those are beautiful Seajay!! Such a colorful good morning to you too 💗

• 3 days ago

Lovely Seajay!

• 3 days ago

Seajay! Those are gorgeous. Thanks for taking time to share. Continued progress❤️❤️❤️❤️

• 3 days ago

When my mother in law had a stroke many years ago, she also took up doing this activity, and she found it really enjoyable. Lovely choice of colours and shading.

Something else you might possibly enjoy are the coloured pencils that you can then just shade with a tiny bit of water on a brush. You colour in just like a regular coloured pencil and then dampen a brush with a little bit of water and you can blend the colour and it turns into paint extremely easily.

• 2 days ago

Hello, Seajay! What a welcome surprise! Your shading on the flowers is lovely! It appears you have excellent visual memory. Please keep sharing your artistry. 💐

• 2 days ago

Those are beautiful Seajay!

26 minutes ago

Love your art work Seajay! Always a great day when I see you here. Dsimber, just checking on you too. How’s the yard/sprinkler install going?

Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars138 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company