Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

HIbiscus help please

last year
last modified: last year

My daughter received a beautiful potted hibiscus as a gift. After a few weeks in the pot, she transplanted it into her garden. That was about a month ago. It is defoliating now, with the leaves turning yellow before they drop.

We have no idea what kind of hibiscus this was - not a single tag or identifier on the pot - but it was bought at a reputable local nursery, so I'm hoping it's at least a hardy one here in CT.

It is in a mostly sunny, sheltered spot, and gets water probably every other day.

A search on hibiscus leaf drop says it's either too much water, not enough water (thanks, that's helpful lol) or possibly transplant shock.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Any way for me to tell if this is a hardy hibiscus? I'm sure she'd like to bring it in for the winter (if it lasts that long lol)

Sorry, my phone doesn't take very good pictures!

Thanks for any help,

:)

Dee

Edited to add - sorry if this is a redundant topic on the Hibiscus forum. I never even knew there WAS a hibiscus forum till I went to submit this post and saw it lol. But now that I know, I'll scroll through for info. I'm sure there have been others with this same issue!

Comments (8)

• last year

so it is not adapted to living in a Connecticut garden.

==>> to quibble just a bit.. it should have no problem being outside in the garden for summer... its the winter its not going to live thru ...

since it would go in the house for winter.. leaving it potted would probably be easiest ...

repot it in fall.. so its ready to go in the house for winter...

for now.. shade it from direct sun... on smaller stock.. i used to use a lawn chair for fast easy shade... it probably isnt liking the sun reflecting off the house... double whammy ..

i like the hardening off theory ... part of the shock of planting it...

if you cant shade it.. maybe just suck it up.. and repot it.. and put it in full shade for a month or so... use the highest quality media you can afford... ask of you dont know what is good medium ...

not that you need to post it elsewhere.. but this is a rather common houseplant ...

ken

• last year

That's 'living' in a Connecticut garden, not 'vacationing'.

• last year

SIgh. Okay, thanks guys. I guess we will dig it up, repot it, and put it in some more shade.

I gotta say, this is one honkin' big "houseplant" lol. I hope she can find a spot for it inside in the winter....

floral, just out of curiosity and for educational purposes (for myself!) how can you tell it's H rosa-sinensis? What are the identifiers?

Thanks!

Dee

• last year

Leaf shape, bud shape, flower shape. I'm not a botanist so I'm afraid I tend not to go by specific features. I just know by overall look, in the same way I can tell my kids apart. 'They just look different'. Maybe someone else can give you specific details.

• last year

I've noticed several tropical hibiscus planted outdoors around my neighborhood. Home Depot and Lowe's stock tropical plants for summer color on your deck or patio and folks are planting them out in the garden.

• last year

For me, like for floral_uk it didn't look 'right' to be a hardy hibiscus - particularly the look of the leaves, but also that the stems looked woody and shrub-like. The only shrubby hardy hibiscus is a Rose of Sharon and the leaves and flowers don't look like ROS, so the tropical type was a better match.

• last year

Thanks everyone for that added information. I will pass this along to my daughter, help her dig up and repot the plant, and hope for the best!

So next question - or maybe I should post a new thread? - what is the best potting medium for this?

Dee