Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_spangler88

Kitchen Cabinet Help

last year

Looking for some input with this design/ color scheme for kitchen remodel. This is Kraftmaid Cottage on top and Translated Driftwood on bottom cabinet. Anyone have experience with these color cabinets? The countertop is quartz color is Lumataj.Kitchen is u-shape about 13 x 12

Comments (20)

• last year

• PRO
    last year
    last modified: last year

No to the top bottom split colors in a small kitchen. It's too much. Pick one or the other. And if it's wood that you pick, something with less gray in it. Those floors are also WAY too gray. Gray died a couple of years ago. Get it out of the picture.

• last year

Without being as harshly-put as DeWayne’s comment, I have to agree with her points. In particular, the gray cabinet stain is dreary, and you will find it very difficult to coordinate backsplash, counters and floor with it. Two cabinet colors means thst you will have the challenge of two colors to coordinate backsplash, floors, counters and wall paint, not one. And the gray stain color would be a challenge even for an experienced designer with an unerring eye.

• PRO
    last year

I am not in the gray is dead camp. I happen to like gray better than brown but I do not like the 2 tone cabinet versus island trend . I think your choices are fine though and I do not find the island cabinet color too gray.

• PRO
    last year

I'm a huge fan of splitting the cabinet colors, however in this instance I probably wouldn't and here is why.

When you are adding a second color into a space, you need to have someplace for it to also go, ie. an island, art etc…however in this instance because of size of the space and style of cabinetry, all you'd be doing is unnecessarily breaking up the space and it wouldn't give you the results you need unfortunately. 

I love the door style you've selected, raised panels are a statement on their own.

Here are my nuggets, have the entire kitchen one or the other.  Then pick a really awesome backsplash that pulls everything together and adds some texture, next get creative with your handles and pulls.  As for the flooring, I'd suggest something that has more of the brown tones. You can still have this awesome space, but one that will stand the test of time.

• PRO
    last year

Sorry - I am on the opposite here. I actually like the color combo you are doing. I think it will be warm and inviting. I happen to have those colors and top here so I can see it in person. I'm not sold on that floor though.

Have you had someone put a design into a 3d rendering program so you can see what it looks like? Not all kitchens look great with a high-low color split. There are different ways to split colors. Even in a small kitchen, it can be ok.

Good luck! Hope you find a combo you love!

• PRO
    last year

You're welcome, and I agree on the lighter color, always happy to help. Enjoy designing!

• last year

Debbie Washburn that does looks very nice. Not the same colors I'm looking at but similar. It was put on a computer screen in 3D for me.

• last year
    last modified: last year

it depends. The size of your walls doesnt seem that small. there are many things/features in a space. Your space isnt shown. Here is contrast...one is a bit darker brown..one is medium brown with white and I think it gives a nice organic look and would be a space ever so inviting. It just depends on the details. I wouldnt be so quick to vetoe your choices . all depends on the details.

Hoegger Lake House Kitchen · More Info

Small Rustic Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

• last year

Small kitchens look best with virtual monochrome schemes. Punchy contrasts of big color blocks break up your vision, and make things look chaotic and small.

• last year

Unless the kitchen is big enough for an island, stick with a single color.

• PRO
    last year

How did you like it when you saw it 3D? Ultimately, the decision is yours. As you see , you will get conflicting opinions here. There is no "right" answer. Yes designers will say a small space should be light and bright and all one color, but I have done kitchens in a condo with black painted cabinets - why? Because my client loved them and didn't want what everyone else was doing or what was "supposed" to be done because of the size of the room. I wish I could find the pictures to show you.

I know it is over whelming. Just take a deep breath and have confidence in what you are getting.

Best of Luck!

• last year

I love the color scheme and I think the two-tone could work if you have enough light in the space. It all depends on your situation. I have read that the two-tone trend is in. I'm considering the Cottage color cabinets right now myself so I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has used them. I ordered a small sample but I'm seeing some undertones in my house that are worrying me a bit.

Good luck with your project! Please post photos when it's done.

• last year

Pam I do like the two tone color cabinet scheme. I dont think its for my kitchen though. It doesn't have a lot of light and feel one light wood or painted color would be better. Thank you for your comment.

• 10 months ago

Jane no advice from me, but I’m in the middle of a kitchen renovation and am also considering cottage as the color for my cabinets. I’ve had a hard time finding examples of this color in other prepped kitchens. Do you feel the color has a strong pink undertone? That’s my only worry. I’m also trying to decide if I want to do the same color for my island or to do a warm wood tone. It’s so hard to make decisions!

• 10 months ago

Annie I decided not to go with the Cottage. I felt it had a lot of undertones and looked different depending on lighting. So because I wasn’t 100% loving it decided against it.. Good luck with your renovation. Go with what you love!

• 10 months ago

Annie I decided against the Cottage. I felt the color changed in different lighting and I didn’t 100% love it so decided against it. Whatever you decide I think the island would look great in a different color. Good luck with your kitchen renovation. Go with what you love!

• 10 months ago

@Jane S, curious if you have finished your kitchen renovation because I'm also interested in Lumataj countertop and wondering how it goes with white cabinet. There are only few pictures I can find for Lumataj. Thanks!

• 4 months ago

Hi Jane, we are actually considering the cottage cabinets with Lumataj as well. Do you happen to have a picture of your finished product? Would love to see it!