Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callash

Reliable, high quality furniture brands - Arhaus, RH, Ethan Allen?

callash
13 days ago

Hi there - we're working with several stores to furnish the first floor of our home (family, living, dining). We're very far down the path with Arhaus and love the style/design, but I'm getting cold feet as I've read just horrible reviews about their customer service, furniture not matching what's in the showroom, people imploring you to never buy from there, etc. I've also read that RH is made overseas and very overpriced for quality. Ethan Allen seems to have good recommendations on quality. My challenge is that I'd like to work with a single company so the home has a consistent feel, and also want to see things in a showroom (touch the tables, sit on the sofas). Has anyone had positive experiences with Arhaus or is this a recipe for disaster?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Minardi
    13 days ago

Find and work with an interior designer. They have better to the trade products all day long. And for less.

• ilikefriday
    12 days ago

I am not sure about the others but can tell you that RH is horrible. Also you state that you want to work with a single company. I think that is a mistake and typically leads to an underwhelming space.

• HU-910663146
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I've got a ton of Arhaus furniture in my house, including 2 couches, 3 living room chairs, several end tables, a coffee table, 2 large buffet-type storage cabinets, 2 beds, 6 to 7 dressers, and a small bar cabinet.

Some of their furniture is good, and some, like my one son's bed, was particle board crap that broke. It was under warranty, so it was replaced with whatever other bed I wanted in the same price range.

I never had a problem with furniture not matching the showroom model. I have noticed that some of the showroom pieces did not appear to be very durable (dresser drawer felt cheap, for example), but I skipped them and bought something else. So I absolutely recommend that you see and touch the furniture in person.

Like you, I love their design/style, and I have not had a customer service problem. I have not bought anything big from them for about 2 to 3 years (although I have been in their stores), so my review could be a bit dated.

I had a Room and Board couch and still have several Room and Board large storage cabinets. I think Room and Board is better quality, but it is also pricey and rather plain.

RH has very nice things, but you also pay for your thrills.

callash thanked HU-910663146
  • callash
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you all! Appreciate the time taken to respond.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 days ago

IMO not all stores carry all things the best quality. A home is put together over time with things you love it is not done "one size fits all". You decide roughly what your style is that is also not written instone. Yes you need to sit and test large pieces that demand comfort and a certain feel. I rarely have owned fabric pieces of any furniture that needs to be used always. I do not hesitate to order a rug online easily returnable if not what you wanted. If you buy it all at one time with no real thought put into the things you buy IMO your space will often end up looking like a furniture showroom.I do find NA made leather furniture not up to the same standard as good Italian made but again what is important to you.

• Elaine Doremus
    9 days ago

I love Ethan Allen. More than five years ago, I got a huge entertainment center, and a custom couch and chair. Love them all! Good quality and looks great!

• debrak6
    9 days ago

Room and Board. Good quality furniture, exceptional customer service.

• lynnbking
    8 days ago

We have several Arhaus pieces- bookcases, armoire, dressers- all are great quality and service was fine. However, we’ve had them for years so I can’t speak to recent service.
    Just bought 2 Pottery Barn chairs- arrived ahead at schedule and we love them!

• Boxerpal
    8 days ago

I love Ethan Allen, but I think if you can work with a designer they can help you coordinate and create a space that looks cohesive. Even more so than buying all the furniture from one supplier. It's about finding that perfect piece and loving each and every thing in your home. It could be EA or Arhaus or One Kings Lane or Johnathan Adler or Africa's 54Kibo. A good designer will make it unique not cookie cutter and the kind of place that is unforgettable.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    8 days ago

I have an Amish made desk that is really nice. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more wood furniture, and probably upholstered too when I need it.

• jlcorp
    7 days ago
    last modified: 7 days ago

For a sofa, look for 8-way hand tied springs with a hardwood frame. Google it and you will see why these sofas last much longer. Don't be fooled into thinking that a heavy sofa is more durable. A heavy sofa is one made from pieces of wood that are glued together and has LOTS of glue. The glue is what weighs a lot. A quality hardwood frame will weigh less and be more durable. Also look at the durability of the fabric. I think they call it a "rub count"?

When the sofa springs are shaped like a snake, they do not last. One end of the sofa ends up caving in. When I was at Arhaus, the sales rep admitted they have something like that. Eight way hand tied springs are individual springs and if one goes sideways, the others are still there. Also, the sofa can be turned upside down and the springs can be tightened by re-tying them. It is a simple repair I saw my parnets do (after I did backhandsprings on the sofa). I am of the opinion that if I purchase a custom sofa that fits the space perfectly, I do want to have the option of re-upholstery. That is not a viable option with Arhaus sofas. Anyone who does upholstery will tell you they cannot repair/re-upholster a continuous coil sofa.

• jlcorp
    7 days ago

For case goods, I purchased almost all solid wood furniture. I prefer solid wood because it is extremely durable and it can be easily repaired to look like new. Some I purchased from a furniture line. Our custom bedroom furniture was made by the Amish. .

• jlcorp
    7 days ago

Re. upholstered goods

On a side note, I did learn that the quality of the sofa in my formal living room didn't really matter much because it does not get used much. But the quality and durability of the family room upholstered furniture is very important if you don't want it to look tattered within a couple of years.

I found this blog on identifying and finding quality upholstered furniture-

Eight-way hand Tied Upholstery Manufacturers

• jlcorp
    7 days ago

My suggestion is to break up your purchase into two groups. One is upholstery and the other case goods. Then further divide that group into a category of desired durability vs. style. Different rooms can call for different quality/ durability of furniture or emphasis on style over durability.

Unique to my situation was that my family moved alot when I was growing up. Some of the furniture would fit better in our new homes better than others. My take-away was to invest more in furniture pieces that were more portable. That is, the pieces that were more likely to fit in a different sized room and also the style that might fit a different home. If you go on Craigs List you will see examples of expensive furniture people bought that no longer fit, for whatever reason. I try to stay away from purchasing those types of pieces.