Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chandler_monroe58

Help with bringing curba appeal to this ugly split level home!!

2 months ago

Hey everyone I just purchased a new home. While it is very nice on the inside the front side is very ugly and a terrible color. I'm just looking for idea's to make this look better.

Comments (30)

• 2 months ago

Wow - the front is pretty ugly! Wouldn’t know where to begin, so I’ll be interested to see what responders come up with. One thing for sure, some different landscaping, especially some taller bushes to the right of the front door are going to be needed for better balance.

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

It is a lot of window trim in such a small area, and then no trim around the door. Add door trim. Paint the siding a similar color to the trim so it all disappears and there is less contrast. Find a nice subtle or fun color to paint the front door. Add new sconces on both sides of the door. Plant in front of the house, though not too close to the foundation.

Perhaps add shrubs to the right side to balance out the lack of window there.

• 2 months ago

Be it ever so humble there's no place like home. Paint and some landscaping would work wonders.

• 2 months ago

Congratulations on your new home! But that is a lot of white trim and the house color could definitely be improved. I like subtle contrasts- what does the rest of the house look like? Is the yard big? What do your neighbors’ homes look like? I’d certainly want to address the “floating” front door and stair(s). It’ll be a really cute home with a few tweaks! I’m sure some pros here can help.

• 2 months ago

Good eye Kendrah - adding trim around the door really helps and a huge improvement with subtle paint and trim!

• 2 months ago

I would like to see a small roof above the front door, to keep rain off people, who might be on the porch, and it will also add some interest to the front of the house. Also, you need extensions on your downspouts to run the rain water, farther away from your house. I am not one for painting the downspouts but, in this case, they need to be painted the same color as the rest of the house (whichever color you decide to paint it), as do the white corners on the house itself. I wouldnt call the house ugly, its more like a giant pumpkin. LOL It can be very cute, once its all repainted and has a roof over the front porch, and some much nicer landscaping. I agree, it needs lighting next to the door. From the shape of the patch around that door, the original door was probably a slider, or french door, and when remodeled, a smaller door was put there. Yes, the door also needs trim around it like what is on your windows.

• 2 months ago

Depending upon your budget a lot can be done in stages. I like the suggestion to trim out the front door. What colors are you drawn too? Repainting & re- landscaping ( there really is none ) is what’s needed desparately. Agree that either a roof or awning over the front door would be practical & look good. New larger light fixture ( or fixtures flanking either side of the front door ) would be good. The house numbers would have to be relocated. Good luck, I think it has potential to look nice.

• 2 months ago

So I definitely agree painting is something that will come very first. Do you guys think a dark blue would look good? simplynatural I loved your idea, while my fiancée would love the colors I dont know if I would want to go with the colors, but I do love the idea of the trim bourd on the bottom. If I was to put a small roof in front of the door how would ya'll suggest it? It would have to be pretty small due to the windows on the first level.

• 2 months ago

Congratulations on the new house! The good news is that you like the inside-I always firgure the outside is easier to change (painting and landscaping). I like just adding trim around the door and larger lights on each side as simplynatural shows. Her/his landscaping ideas are good too, I think, although I would probably add a tree out from the house on the right side. Personally, I am not a fan of dark blue for the house. I actually like the look in simplynaturals mock-up ot I would go with an earthy sage or a brownish gray taupe-ish shade. Are there houses nearby? If so, you might draw inspiration from those and paint in a color that complements neighbors' homes. I think it can end up being a pretty house when all is said and done.

• 2 months ago

So here is a better picture of the place! It is pretty secluded which, with only a house on the left side of it and empty lots to the right which is very nice.

• 2 months ago

A roof like either of these would work for your house.

• 2 months ago

I would not go with blue unless it is an extremely light blue grey. Part of the problem now is the contrast between the color of the body of the house and the windows. I think you want to go with something that will really blend them in.

• PRO
    2 months ago

I would go with stone veneers on bottom to bring some balance , even just on front, plus some overhand over front door. Bright front door.

• 2 months ago

I love the idea of adding trim around the door a wide band to cover the seam. I think the color scheme on this Victorian would be lovely on your house in this beautiful setting.

These are Benjamin Moore colors. If Black Forest Green doesn’t appeal to you for the front door, Sparrow would work, too.

• 2 months ago

I believe this style home is called a split entry, not a split level. The levels aren’t split but the entry is.

I submit that the #1 landscaping change you need is to remove the casually-graveled path smack in front of the house and the vehicle parked on it. Do you have any room to create a real driveway someplace else? As is, your curb appeal is the butt-end of a pickup.

• 2 months ago

Hi littlebug, I wish the property was a little bigger so I would be able to! The only other option would be to park on the street there is an empty lot I have thought about purchasing if the owner would sell it. I've also thought about doing a wider concrete driveway in the front tobpark two vehicles but not so long I would be parking right in front of the house.

• 2 months ago

When I made those comments about the driveway and pickup, I knew I was suggesting expensive changes. The current layout is unfortunate - the prettiest shrubbery/flowers/front yard will be negatively affected by the vehicle parking situation. I’m glad to hear you have already considered a different solution.

• 2 months ago

The front needs another “elevation” to make it function better and look better. Here are three different front door ideas.

For new landscaping- go to a local garden place that has a designer. They often will give you a free plan if you buy the plants at their place. I redid my entire front that way and got ideas I wouldn’t have thought of myself.

• 2 months ago

Adding some roof over the entry would help, but even in simply naturals“

• 2 months ago

Adding some kind of roof over the door would help, but even adding door trim, the big house number, substantial side lights and a trim board as in simply natural’s rendering help break up the stark lines.

• 2 months ago

I love that you don't have veneer or a different color delineating the two stories of your house. I'm not fond of the super suburban split level look that looks like it belongs on a cul de sac. In your secluded wooded setting, I appreciate seeing the front as all one color, it gives it more of a cottage, cabin feel rather than a cookie cutter suburban feel.

• 2 months ago

The parking location is not ideal, but it can look nice. I moved the parking spot closer to the road, as you suggested is possible. I show a simple pergola over the truck, but If that isn't in the budget, clean gravel/grass edges and a connection from the parking area to a widened walkway would make a big difference. I'm a quiet harmony person myself when it comes to colors, but if you prefer a sharper look with more contrast, go for it. (I used gray here for trim boards to tie to the roof, which is a mid-tone gray and does not contrast sharply with the dark blue and white.)

• PRO
    2 months ago

Definitive boundaries on your gravel driveway will make a huge difference, whether you park closer to the house or road. The line between yard and driveway needs to be unmistakable.

• 2 months ago

I think board and batten would look nice on your house.

Modern Farm House - New Build · More Info

Cavalcade · More Info

• 2 months ago

I'm not usually a fan of veneer on this style house, but that rendering that Celery did with the stone and blue upper is wonderful!!

• 2 months ago

An awning over the front door is a good DIY substitute for the roof mentioned.

• 2 months ago

While I like the various visualizations of your house, you still need a tall shrub or small garden tree on the right side to balance. And probably not an evergreen - I would like the “softness: airiness” of a branched tree or tall shrub, even in winter. Have no idea what plant zone you are in, but something like serviceberry (amelanchier) might work there. Or ask your local garden center/nursery for suggestions.

• 2 months ago

Here is a Serviceberry” - white flowers in spring, mature height 15’, nice green leaves and berries (but NOT messy because birds do all the cleanup work), red/orange fall color (just in case you miss that orange paint color!), zones 2 to 9.

• 2 months ago

We just put up this inexpensive awning over our kitchen slider. It's 80 x 40 but they sell 40 x 40 also. They sell them here but I found it cheaper on Amazon. We had heavy rain today for the first time since it's been up and it kept the door dry. Mission accomplished.

Yescom 40"x40" Outdoor Awning Patio Door Window Cover UV Protection Hollow · More Info