Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pzanin1

Front door color

2 months ago

Thoughts on a front door color? I’m thinking black since the roof is but fear it may be too dark. Anyone have an app to color it?

Comments (40)

• 2 months ago

• 2 months ago

The entry is dark, so you're right, black is probably not the best choice. Can you show us a picture of the whole front of the house for context?

• 2 months ago

Yes, a pic showing the entire front would help. Agree with no black since the door’s recessed.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Pics of the whole house posted here in a comment DO NOT start anothrer post .

• 2 months ago

Can't judge on the door alone. Need the context of how it looks with the entire rest of your house.

• 2 months ago

I was having issues but got it!

• 2 months ago

Old pic but colors are the same

• 2 months ago

is the siding vinyl or paintable siding?

If you are set on Black door, then paint the porch alcove siding a lighter color to lighten the space rather than have it look like a black hole.

• 2 months ago

That’s what I’m afraid of

• 2 months ago

I’d be tempted to keep the door white like your trim.

At some point consider a garage door with windows across the top. That would help break up the ”wall” of garage since it’s front-facing. Painting it the same color as the siding is another option. Try to keep the focus on your door/entry area.

• 2 months ago

I’ll have to take a current pic as we now have windows on the garage

• 2 months ago

Current would be good!

• 2 months ago

Better pic

• 2 months ago

White like the rim. It is so dark in that entry that it will get lost in another color. I'd also paint the white points of your roof peaks to match the siding color.

• 2 months ago

Good idea @Kendrah!

• 2 months ago

On the to do list :)

• 2 months ago

Another vote for white.

• 2 months ago

I painted a house this color and painted the door a dark red.

• 2 months ago

For a brighter youthful look you could go with coral or watermelon.

• 2 months ago

a nice yellow

• 2 months ago

You have a lovely home...

I love the idea of a soft yellow. Great Idea @Geri Willbrand

Our Work · More Info

Massachusetts Country Home · More Info

Happy Cottage Exterior Refresh · More Info

• 2 months ago

Suggest a grey/blue and test lots of samples next to the brick and siding.

• 2 months ago

I think if you pick a complimentary color (blue,green,yellow etc) it would some uniqueness to the neutral exterior. The hose has curb appeal so whatever you decide, whether color of neutral will look nice

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Consider a maroon red or terra cotta for the door. Either choice would go nicely as accent against the dark gray of the house. Whatever color you choose, also paint the sidelights the same color.

To make your house look even better, paint the window sashes the same-as-door accent color. (sash only, not trim)

Next, paint your garage door the same color as siding, including the trim, leaving no white to outline the door. The garage door is a function, not a feature to be highlighted and made to stand out. Currently the most prominant thing about the house is the garage door.

Your entry is hidden behind the two opposing shrubs. You've said you plan to trim them, but I'm not sure that will do. Whatever is planted there should be kept a lower level than the existing hedgerow. Don't be afraid of removing the two shrubs; they were ill-chosen from the get-go, much too large as foundation plantings. Plant flowers there or possibly two large attractive planters with flowers.

Then, severely trim or get rid of the three large shrubs that are overgrown and hiding the house. In their place, one nice ornamental tree would be great, a Japanese Maple perhaps.

• 2 months ago

So many great suggestions!! @lazidazi I agree on the plant removals and think it will look so much better without!

• 2 months ago

I agree about pulling the two shrubs out. They aren’t appropriately sized and you’ll be continually trimming them. Ugh

Also I love the idea of a complimentary soft color(coral, yellow, soft blue). Or white if you’re not that brave.

• 2 months ago

Thank you! I’m loving the different suggested colors! And have pulled samples!

• 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

White, or if you're feelng really bold, the bright green of the lawn in the photo made me think of the same on the front door. A bright or lime green door on such a traditional house would be fun!

• 2 months ago

My first thought was a wine color. Something close to SW Sundried Tomato

• 2 months ago

Whatever you decide for the door, I’d keep it light and bright for optimum focus.

• 2 months ago

Pretty house! Before sampling paint colours open your view to front door by removing the 2 big shrubs. Then painting peaks & the white stripe above the garage doors same as siding. Your new garage doors are lovely as is the brick surround, also noted on left side of house, is a feature in itself. After those changes you may decide to keep front door & garage doors classic white or go for black to compliment roof.
    Suggest Benjamin Moore 2134-30 Iron Mountain. Remember it’s just paint so have fun & experiment!
    Good luck!

• 2 months ago

Another soft black 2126-30 Anchor Gray - depending on how much blue is in siding

• 2 months ago

I would not pull out the bushes- simply trim and shape them into a form better suited to allow a clear view of your door. Since your home is traditional I would choose something with a deep red to contrast for the front door color. White is basic, boring and difficult to keep clean.

• 2 months ago

So many great suggestions!!! Need answer by tomorrow so wish me luck!

• 2 months ago

Go with your heart. It's only paint - you could change it seasonally if so inclined!

• 2 months ago

True @Jenny! TY!

• 2 months ago

Perhaps eliminate some of those bushes/shrubs/trees. Maybe there's a nursery or garden center that can help w a cost-free app or suggestions. Different plants (flowers for sure--if you paint door a different color) pick it up in flowers.

• 2 months ago

Good idea! We have a few places close by @Toni thank you!

• 2 months ago

white would be my vote.Just want to say that the house looks quite pretty