Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_551291407

Kitchen layout design- help requested

2 months ago

Hello!

im usually pretty good at this, but looking for extra eyes for this one. im looking to flip my kitchen to the dining and sunroom area.

my friend came over and suggested cabinets along rear wall instead of my mock up. There are stairs that go into the basement that solit the two rooms and ive also considered opening those walls up and having open stairs to basement as well as closing current kitchen to make into another room- laundry, bath, office, whatever.

G

Comments (19)

• 2 months ago

You don’t have a budget or cost estimate and this is just your ideal wish list? Get cost estimate for everything on your list and prioritize what you can afford and is not overspending based on your total home value and neighborhood sales comps. I am guessing the wall between DR and Sunroom is load bearing and will be expensive to remove and to add appropriate support to bear the roof weight. Get a cost estimate for that. Get a cost estimate for extending the plumbing lines to DR. Is it feasible to relocate the kitchen cabs to DR or do you need to buy new?

• 2 months ago

Thanks! i was planning to buy new but have one contractor and will get an estimate from him. the plumbing lines are along that load bearing wall so shouldnt cost much.

just looking for best layouts within my current footprint. I am not expecting to go over 100k, but im also not looking to sell so not taking that into account. luckily real estate has been good to me in the past, and I'm now comfortable with making my home best for me. 😊

• 2 months ago

On a tangent, if your house is currently a 3/1, I would have the kitchen become a second bath and laundry.

• 2 months ago

The entire kitchen layout needs to be planned. It's not just about where you will put the cabinets.

What about the oven, stove/range, fridge, sink(I assume you'd want to look out of a window), and pantry.

• 2 months ago

Yes, this is what im asking for help with. :)

• 2 months ago

And thanks Jenny! I was considering that or a 4th bedroom. we have laundry and a 3/4 bath in the basement.

• 2 months ago

Have you had a structural engineer look at the foundation of the sunroom? Sometimes those are built more like a patio, and are not engineered to support the weight of a kitchen or other living space.

A master suite (with bath) would seem more desirable than a four bedroom house with basement bath and laundry.

I would do a galley kitchen with cabinets backing up to the stairs. Skip the island and run a farmhouse table across the back. That little round table will not be big enough for family dinners.

Based on work we've had done recently, $100k seems very optimistic.

• 2 months ago

Tossing out some radical changes to show what you might be able to do now or in future, adding a 2nd full bath/ensuite and switching BR with DR (increased plumbing costs but better flow in public rooms. Blue lines are interior walls to be removed, hoping not load bearing. Suggest you hire certified kitchen designer, even if not working for cabinet company.

• 2 months ago

Thank you!!! this is what I was asking for. even if I can do in stages its amazing to see how i can optimize within the spaces.

• 2 months ago

Thanks! i definitely like the master suites options and thought about converting my room to the rear bedroom and going a pocket door for the onsuite. I looked in my basement and have the loadbearing wall behind the couch in this photo.

could you do a mockup if i wanted to combine the sunroom with where you have the kitchen?

• 2 months ago

How high is sunroom ceiling? Same height as kitchen? How much of a step down is there from kitchen to sunroom?

• 2 months ago

Sunroom ceiling and house ceiling have same height, but theres a 5 inch step down.

• 2 months ago

So i have 8ft ceilings in my house but the sunroom is 8’5

• 2 months ago

Here is first attempt at converting sun room into kitchen for your feedback. I do not have kitchen exact measurements, window size and placement, etc. so this is simply to get you started when talking with certified kitchen planner. To deal with the 5” step down falling hazard, and keep the openness, instead of cost of raising the sun room floor I added a hand rail and a bar with stools. The current kit has room for dining table, so I added a TV room to the front of the house (and suggested another LR furniture arrangement by Fireplace).

• 2 months ago

Because it is exterior wall, I left a soffit. Instead of a soffit, you may be able to remove the wall completely and add a ceiling support beam to carry the load. Or make the support beam visible. as a feature and add a few more false ceiling beams for show. Another option is to build in support columns where structurally needed.

• 2 months ago

I love this! thank you so mich!

• 2 months ago

Here is another, assuming you raise sunroom floor to be even with kitchen floor. I am trying to keep foot traffic out of your prep and work areas. Assumes you can block off the windows to place Fridge and Range. Prep zone is on island at back of sunroom.

• 2 months ago

View of kitchen from deck. I don’t have exact kitchen measurements, window size and placement, etc, so this is simply a layout concept to discuss. Your contractor can do the construction, but a certified kitchen planner can help you plan the exact layout (including cab drawers and doors and pullouts), order correct sizes for cab and countertops, help you select materials, and advise you on newest kitchen features.