Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digitaljennik

12 years ago
We take possession today of a 1970's cedar post and beam house! Keeping the vertical cedar walls in the living room and are stumped on flooring. Thinking polished, heated, dark grey tiles. What do you think?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    12 years ago
    With the cedar, I'd go lighter than grey. What about travertine, or a more taupe colored ceramic tile? Even a gold tone would complement the cedar.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi digitaljennik, what an exciting time to move into a new place!

The dark grey tiles should modernize the room, you might also consider using the same tiles on the fireplace surround just to keep the design flow.

I would also suggest painting the ceiling beams white If you want to keep the vertical cedar walls natural.
  • 12 years ago
    You have a lovely space with wonderful natural materials - Polished & grey doesn't speak to any of the existing materials in your home at all.

I'd select more rustic, brownish/taupe tones - then bring the samples home and look at them with the other materials within your house, and choose the one that's the best fit for the elements that are there.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I am not opposed to the idea of gray in the space however it appears to be a very large space & I wonder if the cold visual texture of tile will overwhelm and clash with the warmth of the wood. Cork may be an interseting alternative. I know that Wicanders Cork offers several colors on cork including cool and warm gray options. The space appears to need more white than just on the ceiling. Maybe you could find a solid white polished tile for the face of the fireplace to incorporate your original thought of polished tile. Interceramic offers one in their barcelona series that is available in a 12x24 that you could install vertically up to the ceiling. Very neat space with lots of possibilities...have fun with it!
  • 12 years ago
    I don't know where you're located, but since you're thinking heated floors, I'm assuming somewhere cold. Cork, as someone suggested, is a great "green" alternative. I've used it many times in cold climates and it does retain natural warmthe well, even over concrete foundations. However, it cannot be heated. If you've got your heart set on a heated floor (which is heavenly) I would suggest natural limestone in 24'x24' squares. It'll look lovely and lighten up the space while still looking warm (for a stone floor). Alternatively, you could use flagstone for a real rustic look. Or if you like the dark grey, you can use slate. If the cost of the natural stone doesn't fit into your budget there are many porcelain tile options, some that mimic wood or stone quite successfully.
  • 12 years ago
    Thank you everyone, very much for your ideas and information. We are under a tight deadline so your responses were quite timely. I had my heart set on a contemporary space with polished tiles, but as you all noted, we have warm natural elements and it just didn't work. Man, its hard to give up preconceived ideas! So we went with a slate (as was suggested) - dark greys, rust, light grey, taupes- in a ceramic tile. The price was right for the ceramic and the slate texture/colour was an undeniable natural fit. I feel like I am in an earthy, peaceful retreat. Since the slate was cheaper than the polished tile, we can afford to heat all of the tile flooring. We live in Canada, so that is much appreciated! So thanks again, rather than fight it, I'm going with the flow and I love it!
  • 11 years ago
    I want to ADD a WORD OF CAUTION HERE - did you know there IS such a thing as Cedar Disease? YES - IF you start pulling this out, or sawing or whatever - there is a cedar thing (my neighbor has it is why I know - from the cedar in his lake house) . . . and it causes a cough which apparently there is nothing one can do about it. Surprized me! If you mess around with this stuff - WEAR A MASK.