Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftconn

Is a Shaker Style the best choice for a modern look?

10 years ago
We're having cabinets custom-made for our kitchen. They're going to be cherry, in a medium tone. I originally wanted a Shaker look, because I like a sleek minimal look, but then I second-guessed myself because the Shaker is cheaper to buy than the raised panel, so I was afraid it would look cheap. But now I'm afraid I should have stuck with the Shaker look. I want my kitchen to look modern, and if the raised panel makes it look traditional, that will make me unhappy. I need to give the go-ahead to the cabinet maker tomorrow morning. Help!

Comments (32)

• 10 years ago
    These are generic photos of the raised and flat panel doors--the custom doors would be similar.
  • 10 years ago
    Shaker style gets my vote.
  • 10 years ago
    Yes, I like the Shaker style better for a modern look.
  • 10 years ago
    For a more modern look, get plain, no detailing. Also easier to clean.
  • 10 years ago
    So....the Shaker style isn't going to look low budget?
  • 10 years ago
    Shaker design is very old, and traditional. I like it, but in others houses, cause I don't like cleaning gunk out of right angle corners.
  • 10 years ago
    Stoney Creek Portfolio · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    Yes, Shaker is old, but definitely not traditional. Is there any other kind of flat panel besides Shaker and slab? Because I don't want slab, I think that's a wee tad too basic.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If you want a contempory look do a shaker style but use rift sawn oak and have them finished like fumed or cerused oak.
  • 10 years ago
    chookchhok2, thanks for the photo. That looks sort of European to me, a bit starker than what I'm going for. So compared to that, I guess you could say Shaker is more traditional.
  • 10 years ago
    Shaker used to be the inexpensive option until it became so popular! The more detail a cabinet has, the less modern it looks.
  • 10 years ago
    Shaker style the best choice hands down
  • 10 years ago
    wow, MS Colours, you're making me get an education in wood, never a bad thing. However, we are not wealthy and we live in the middle of nowhere, so even if we could afford rift sawn oak, we don't have anywhere around here to acquire such a thing. I'm sure it would be lovely, though.
  • 10 years ago
    chookchook2, slide-2 is very interesting. Still too sterile for me, though. The great thing is it confirms me in my choice of Shaker vs slab.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I personally like the straight shaker style doors. ( I chose Knotty Alder- so beautiful). The raised panel doors are very dated. The golden oak age is long over, even though Oak is still very pretty....Cherry and Hickory are very pretty also.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Shaker looks more modern, but I suggest you go with a lighter color.
  • 10 years ago
    The nice thing about Shaker is that it can look either modern or classic depending on the hardware you choose and other details of the kitchen. I think that is one of the things that has made the design so lasting.
  • 10 years ago
    Yes, and finding the perfect hardware is going to be a challenge. But I think the main thing is, the sleeker and simpler, the better.
  • 10 years ago
    chookchook2, I love the latest link, but I wouldn't want to live there. So stark!
  • 10 years ago
    stanleychou, I agree, the color in the photo is too dark. We're planning on a medium tone.
  • 10 years ago
    If you still aren't sure, let me confirm what everyone else has said. Shaker, not raised panel! :) It will be beautiful. If you aren't sure about hardware, do a search on this site for photos of "shaker cabinets cherry" -- you'll see tons of beautiful examples and what types of hardware they've used.
    Linda Jones thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    We ordered the Shaker cabinets in cherry and they'll be done in 2 weeks. Still haven't settled on hardware. I want a sleek look, but I don't want it to look like a hospital or warehouse.
  • 10 years ago
    Linda, I think you made a good choice.

Couple of hardware examples. With your cherry cabinets you will never get a hospital look.
    Marietta Kitchen & Hall Bathroom · More Info

The Pantry · More Info

Hale Aina By The Sea · More Info

Dallas, TX: Scott & Melissa · More Info

Cedar Lake Renovation · More Info

Bathrooms · More Info
    Linda Jones thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Keep in mind the finish of the faucets and light fixtures when choosing cabinet hardware.
    I don't mean that everything has to match perfectly, but they do have to work together.
  • 10 years ago
    Sure, it's all going to be brushed nickel. It's always been my favorite and thankfully it's popular right now, so lots of choices.
  • 10 years ago
    My husband likes the one in the Cedar Lake photo, but I prefer the Hale Aina choice. We still have a couple of weeks for one of us to come around to the other's viewpoint. I also like the one in the Marietta Kitchen. Truth be told, I think any of those three would look great.
  • 10 years ago
    What will probably help you make your choice is to feel them. Some handle better than others. And think about where they will go on the cabinet fronts. Do you have an overhang on your countertop then take into consideration that you need space for your fingers to grab the pull. Do you want them all horizontal, do you need to mix horizontal and vertical, do you need knobs for particular drawers that maybe can't take a wider pull.
    Really think about where pulls will go on the different cabinet fronts :-)
    Linda Jones thanked Carolina
  • 10 years ago
    Ah, good point. I have an old-fashioned cabinet maker who doesn't provide a drawing, so I won't know precisely what it all looks like till it's put up. But I believe there's only one unit that will be narrow--a pull-out spice rack. All the rest of the doors and drawers will be plenty wide enough for 5-6" pulls. I don't care for knobs, just a personal preference.