Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdahlby

Need advice on empty wall in family room, interior color

10 years ago
Hello

After months of looking at options, finally realize I don't know what I'm doing so thought I should get some advice.

I have a big empty wall in my family room. It has a fireplace but no windows and I'm unsure how to decorate it. I can't spend much money on it and I'd rather avoid electrical or construction work. I do need more lights in the room so thought of consoles with lamps but just not sure how to choose. I also thought of putting up tiles but I thought that would clash with the current mantle and I'd rather not take down the mantle (but can if I really have to). I'm also not sure if I should paint the first floor because the cream is just really bland.

I'm attaching photos of the kitchen and the breakfast area that is attached to the family room to give an idea of what style the rest of the house is. I'm also attaching a photo of the unfinished powder room that's off the kitchen which is painted a blueish color as well.

As you can see, I like clean, simple, uncluttered design, a bit on the modern/contemporary style. The house is very empty at the moment so I need lots of help. Thank you in advance!

Comments (32)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    Is there going to be a TV in this room?
    ana JaDeD thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • PRO
    ana JaDeD thanked Warner Decor
  • 10 years ago
    Barbara,
    No, the TV is in the basement rec/media room. Thanks!
  • 10 years ago
    Warner Decor, Thanks for the suggestions. I love the second one and the color matches the overall house. I'll def consider it. Thanks! (I love those mirrors but I know they don't really work for the style)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Why all the space around the edges of the room..the one behind the sofa does not appear to be a walk thru area.. also the wall behind the 2 chairs. What are your plans or thoughts about these areas? Is this strictly a conversation area?
  • 10 years ago
    Brandie McCoy, Thank you for the suggestions. This is probably what I will go for...but I thought it'd be too matchy match on the two sides. Thanks, I'll continue the search with this idea.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    i would rotate that couch and flank the fire place with the chairs, the room is off balance. put the lamp behind the chair, and put a bold painting over the fireplace, and put those mirrors up opposite the window wall.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Barbara. There is an opening next to the wall on the left and another opening behind the breakfast table. It's an awkward layout, I admit. Behind the sectional is another wall with windows and a door to the deck (another awkard design issue I will be asking help with lol) Since I have that big leather sectional, that's the layout that made the most sense to me. I have zero idea what to do with the wall behind the 2 chairs, either but the fireplace wall seemed more pressing. lol

Oh and this room is suppose to be a family room bc we also have a "formal" living room but we have a grand piano in that room so this is where we would have people sit around and visit. All the media things are done in the basement which is where the kids play their games/watch tv etc
  • 10 years ago
    flair, thanks for the advice. i will try that. what do you suggest for the walls on either side of the fireplace in that case?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    soft and bold all at the same time.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    As this is the main gathering area for conversation entertaining, I would put to long matching console pieces on each side of the fireplace with very large framed mirrors above them. One I would make a bar-serving area, and the other another "buffet" area for serving guests, etc. Each console should have 1 large interesting lamp (same on both pieces).

Add a very large mirror over each piece. Your current furniture. The sofa is great, but it is too dark and heavy to be used with the 2 light weight chairs. I would replace the chairs with ones with a pattern and bulk. End tables, lamps, pillows, drapery panels...after you do furniture etc. then look at the room and decide what paint color and accessories.
    ana JaDeD thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    depending on how long you live here, built ins could be nice, or i also thought tall freestanding dark shelves.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    the idea of adding this kind of architectural and functional texture is fantastic...this can be achieved a lot of ways...free floating shelves at different heights,,,see IKea in black...using art and accessories for the punch....Like the idea of painting the fire place a charcoal color....this is all about the accessories and art....Perhaps the color is on both sides and and we do something over the fireplace more textural and or sculptural....
    ana JaDeD thanked The Design Tap
  • 10 years ago
    Barbara!

Honestly, the thing about chairs makes so much sense. I don't know why I didn't realize it before. I think I am having a split personality on my decoration. I like the light, shabby chic like of the chairs and those mirrors and the other part of me likes the large, modern, substantial kind of style also. Thanks so much! I will get rid of those chairs and the mirrors and put something more substantial in their place.

Question:

Do you think I should rotate the sectional to face the fireplace like the other comment suggested? I feel like it might overwhelm the main entrance of the room which is on the left side of the fireplace if we turn the sectional.

And, what neutral color would you suggest for the chair that would match with dark espresso brown of the sectional? I like more cooler hues: blue, grey, white...would those colors match with the warmer tone of the espresso sectional?

Lastly, do you think I have to match the walls on each side? What if I did a taller cabinet on the left side since it's a darker space and the console on the right. Would that overwhelm the room since there's already a big sectional?

Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate the time!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It is just such a big statement in the room if you get larger chairs, placing them in the same spot they too might overwhelm the entrance. you just have to give it a try. Honestly the couch is really big for that room
    ana JaDeD thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    this picture really is the reason i said to turn it.
  • 10 years ago
    Flair Lighting,

Wow the shelf idea looks really awesome!! And it won't be all that expensive, I don't think. It'll be a challenge to style the empty shelves but I guess that's something I can work on!

The Design Tap,

Do you mean paint the whole wall or just the mantle charcoal color? Would that not be too much of dark for the room-dark shelves, dark sectional dark fireplace?

I do like the idea of the free floating shelves which would be very simple. Thank you! It reminds me of what Candice Olson did once with mirrors behind the shelves like this!
  • 10 years ago
    flair lighting

does this picture give you a better representation of the sizes of the chairs or do they still look too small for the space/sectional? (excuse the ottoman coffee table i'm trying to recover) or maybe the sectional is too large...but i'm afraid I can't purchase a new sofa. I was thinking about just getting just one chair to not overwhelm the space, which is easier than getting new sofa.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    oh i know, i just want you to try turning it, and flanking the fire place with the chairs. I like the chairs, they do seem small with that sofa.
    ana JaDeD thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    Ok Yes. I'll try that and see if it makes a difference! Thanks so much for your time and ideas!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    oh we love it on HOUZZZ! its a blast to see all the ideas and changes!
  • 10 years ago
    Some beautiful built-in cabinetry with the door style of the kitchen cabinets would be lovely on either side of the fireplace. Definitely a nice large mirror to reflect some light on that darker wall behind the two chairs. Carry the black onto the chairs with black, gray, and white geometric patterned pillows. Love the mirrored console submitted by Barbara Griffith Designs! That would surely reflect some light! You might paint the mirrored pieces you have on the fireplace black (if you can remove the frame from the mirror to paint them). It will help them stand out on the white wall. Have you thought about a shade of light gray or pale blue/gray on the walls? LOVE your taste -- and that kitchen is GORGEOUS! Great job and lovely taste!
    ana JaDeD thanked soto01
  • 10 years ago
    Some lovely consoles on either side of the fireplace might work well also. Check out the ones in the new HGTV Smart House 2014. They are lovely....
  • 10 years ago
    Maybe a crazy idea, but could you take your sectional apart and use it as a couch, armless chair, and hassock? It would give you more options.
  • 10 years ago
    hi soto01

that's a great idea about the mirror on the wall behind the chairs... one of those large floor types. and i have paint chips up to my eyeballs. i just couldn't decide on if i should keep the cream to keep it neutral or if another paint color would just clash with everything. there are so many choices and i'm awful at making decisions, hence the cry for help! :) if you have a fav pale blue/gray color you love, i'd love to know the name. it seems like our taste is similar.

it's a miracle the kitchen is almost done but there's still so much left to do-pendant lights, stools, valance...ugh. it feels like this will never end. thank you :)
  • 10 years ago
    partim

thank you for the suggestion. unfortunately, it's only a 2 section sectional and when it comes apart, it becomes a chaise and a couch without an arm on one side so it looks a little unusual. the end doesn't become a hassack so it'd be just 2 large pieces anyways/not much of a difference. i wish i could get all new furniture ha! :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would leave the sectional in the current configuration but I would move it back a little toward the window wall..maybe with a sofa table behind it in front of the window. Also pull the 2 new larger chairs so just the front legs are on the rug. You need some color in the chairs, maybe a new rug with a lattice pattern & color, pillows on the sofa & chairs.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree with flair lighting that the sectional should be rotated. Not sure if I like the idea of flanking the fireplace with those 2 chairs. It's hard to tell from the photos how they would fit.

Rotating it will give you more room in front of the window. Maybe you could set up a separate conversation area there with the 2 armless chairs and a dark toned table between. I like the idea of lighter chairs in front of the windows, instead of the back of the sectional facing the windows.
  • 10 years ago
    partim

thanks for the suggestions. i think only one larger arm chair may fit so i'll try that. and the 2 lighter chairs near the window sounds good. i don't know if there is room but i'll try it. thanks for the suggestions!!
  • 10 years ago
    barbara griffin

unfortunately, this sectional is large. if i put it near the window, the entrance to the deck is very crowded since the breakfast table also is there also but you have such great ideas with the patterened rug, and how to place the new chairs. you prob already guessed, i'm afraid of patterns and colors :) but i guess it's time to try something new. i'll let you know how everything turns out! thanks so much for all your help.
  • 10 years ago
    My living are has one big seating area, but also 2 smaller chairs near a window, with a games table in between. The table is good for foo/drinks but it seems that at every get-gogether, someone sets it up for checkers/chess/backgammon. http://www.wayfair.com/Chess-Tables-C1806857.html Sometimes people move the smaller chairs around, even taking the game outside if the weather is pleasant.

I really think your room will look better if the bulkier furniture is to the left of the fireplace, and you may end up moving it closer to the fireplace if it seems to crowd the entrance to the room.

You will need to balance the room because the bulkier, darker furniture will all be on the left, and also there is no window there. Use darker accessories at the right of the room, and lighter or light-reflective accessories on the left. The games table should be dark wood or leather. Then on the sofa, light pillows and throws , light picture on the left wall. Would a large mirror on the left wall reflect a nice outdoor view? Be sure it's low enough that it doesn't reflect the ceiling fan, if you're keeping that.

Your room is beautiful and I'm sure you'll love it when you're done.