Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prigalv

Help decorating Dining Room

11 years ago
I'm decorating my Dining Room, and I need some help from you.

1. Wall color
As you can see on the pictures, I started painting my walls. My first thought was painting the back wall in benjamin moore kendall charcoal and the side walls in benjamin moore revere pewter.
What do you think? It is a good choice or should I paint all walls in kendall charcoal?

2. Furnitures
I bought the table that you see in one of my pictures.
Which chair do you think will be better with it (white, gray, or you have a suggestion)?

3. Windows treatment
What do you think about Nantucket from Hunter Douglas?

Thanks for everything.

Comments (49)

• 11 years ago
    Two chairs that I liked. What do you think?
  • 11 years ago
    Here are pictures from two other rooms that are on the same floor. Only for you to know my style.
    Thanks
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think that all the walls should be the same color, and because ofthe change in ceiling height, I don't think I would go with the charcoal (though I do very much like the color and applaud you bold choice).

I think both of your chair selections are nice. And I'm LOVING your office!
  • 11 years ago
    The problem is: I can't change the charcoal wall anymore, otherwise my husband kill me... :-)
    Should I keep one wall only or paint the other two in charcoal?
  • 11 years ago
    You have nice furniture and i am sure your dining room will look great no matter which chair you pick. I like both. Off the topic ,would you show mea pic of your tv unit,please? Where did you buy that? Thanks
  • 11 years ago
    Sondramartina, i'll take a picture of my wall unit and will post here soon. I bought it on-line, I'll try to find the website for you.

Carolyn, thanks for your help. When you said padded chair it means the white? Thanks,
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Here some ideias, hope to help!!! Good luck on your renovation project!!! :-)
  • 11 years ago
    Agree with Carolyn about painting the wall in the first picture, that goes up where the ceiling stops. I think Carolyn voted for the grey chairs. I vote for the white ones. The grey ones will perhaps be more comfortable, but I like the contrast of the white chairs with the darker walls and the wooden table.
    So... if the grey ones are more comfortable and available in white.... I would vote for those.

Nantucket: nice!

I like your style. Nice office.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If I had to choose between the two pictures I would go with the white. I posted two more options. On your pictures (the second picture) I see a room with a table and chairs; is this the room this table shown in the pictures is going in? If no, can you post a close up of the room with the other table and chairs. The only reason I say to is just to see if I make suggestions to make sure all your furniture works together since the place looks open.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    oops same chair, let me try this again.
  • 11 years ago
    I like the charcoal color on the wall. I would continue on the other wall. I would select a round table with upholstered chairs. I would the arm chair a different fabric or even put to wing back chairs
  • 11 years ago
    Of course artwork and a mirror. Also, a beautiful rug underneath the table. If space allows a nice buffet or server in a metallic color
  • 11 years ago
    Looks like I'm the odd man out here ... I don't think highlighting that odd L-shaped wall with dark paint is a good idea.
  • 11 years ago
    Ekhaya, she already posted a photo of the other furniture somewhere above your comment.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Love your home! I like the idea of a white chair, but the one you show seems uncomfortable to me. Love the dark walls.
    Dine and Dazzle · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    @Kelly that's a beautiful room and beautiful chairs. Prigalv, the white chair you posted or the chair I posted last would work very well with your style.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks, Girls!
    I really appreciate all your help.
    I loved the room that you posted, Kelly, but I'm not sure if those chairs will be good with the rest of my house. :-(

Sondramartina, here is a picture of the wall unit.
  • 11 years ago
    How about these chairs?
  • 11 years ago
    Tks, Printesa!
    Here is a picture from the website where I bought the table, so we can have more ideas.
    I liked your suggestions, but I was thinking in something more modern to match with the rest of my furnitures.
  • 11 years ago
    @prigalv Are you in Canada?
    thanks for unit photo
  • 11 years ago
    @Sondramartina, I'm in Seattle, Wa, USA. Why did you ask? :-)
  • 11 years ago
    I was thinking that since this is a dinning room, you might want something with wooden legs..For the color, I was going for the linen/flax color ( I believe the first Calligaris comes in a grayish/flax colour). The ones in your picture go great with the table. I have a similar style and for the dinning room (black in my case) I went with these chairs in a grayish linen colour http://www.ligne-roset-usa.com/Products/dining/chairs/FrenchLine_553.aspx For the table and sideboards, I have their Contour line, in black as well.
  • 11 years ago
    I was gonna suggest some chairs from Canadian company. I dont know whats your budget but hawe you checked Calligaris,they have chairs that you may like ,but they are pricey.
  • 11 years ago
    Wow! Thanks, sondramartina I really liked Calligaris' furniture, and I found a retail store in Seattle. I'll stop by to check the products.

Thanks everyone for the help.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I did not realize that the white chair was padded, having looked too quickly at it. Of the first two chairs, then I prefer the white one, but I do adore the Calligaris' Gossip chair!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi there, Prigalv..
    I thought I would chime in as well. I agree with some others. The Kendall Charcoal is a bold, wonderful color. I would use that on the other walls as well. I would not stop it at the ceiling height.
    I would go with the grey leather chairs. With all the grey, the wood legs add a necessary element of warmth to balance it all out.
    On the window treatments, my guess is there is a second dining room window to the right. I see that there is wall space between the window and the corner. A thought is you could add a window panel that rests to the left of the left window, corner to moulding and then the same on the right window, window moulding to right corner. Floor to ceiling. Drapery fabric would be great in a grey wool, similar in color to the dining chairs. The drapery rods would be from the corner to the edge of the window only and not extend across the entire wall.
    If there is a Jbox above the dining table, a pendant would really help define the space.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    One thing you need to check is the height of the chairs you select. I would get them taller than the table by at least 2".
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi Prigalv, I'm a Hunter Douglas dealer and have been helping folks for 15 years with Hunter Douglas products....its all I do. The Nantucket's are a nice product and will help protect your beautiful wood floors. The product provides 99% UV protection when the vanes are closed and 88% UV protection when they are open. I've attached some pictures
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    You have the opportunity of making your dining room windows appear larger by placing stationary panels on each side of them, but you will also need privacy treatments on the glass. If the budget allows, I would add roman shades for privacy.

Another equally nice option would be to use only white plantation shutters. When you fold the shutter back against the wall in their open position, the shutters will visually add to the width of the windows. But they will also allow for filtering light when closed by adjusting the lovers. Shutters also add to the resale value of your home.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks, all, for your time and help!
    Yesterday, I received my dining table. I added some chairs to it, so we can imagine how it looks like.
    What do you think? I believe the white padded chair that I posted as one of my options it is similar to the one that I added to take the pictures.
    Thanks!
  • 11 years ago
    I agree. I would go with white or similar style chairs. I was eyeing that CB2 table as well :)
  • 11 years ago
    I like the table, the chairs and that you've also put some nice vases on the table for the photo.
    Nice attention to detail :-)
    Any reason why you've put the table like this? I keep thinking it ought to be turned around 1/4.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks sondramartina and carolins!
    Carolins, I'll ask my husband to help me move the table, so I can see how it will look like on the other direction...
    I only think that maybe the table will be on the way, but we will see.
    Tks again!
  • 11 years ago
    I think the table is fine the way it is now. I would also think that having the table the other way would interfere with the hallway. It's difficult to see from the photo.
  • 11 years ago
    Love love your house. I love the dark wall but may be to dark for room. Stick with the pewter on all walls. Love the table and the gray chair is the best. You are very bold and contemporary. I love it. I would use a large graphic design area rug in blacks, gray n white. Under table art work bold colors, go crazy, make sure they are large. Silver is good accent. And palms fill wall space don't forget corners. Can't wait to see final room. Good job.
  • 11 years ago
    Window treatment. Simple a design in white with black, either roman shades or a solid pleated in black. Awesome.
  • 11 years ago
    Same window treatment in family rm as dining. Need bold art over firepl.
  • 11 years ago
    In office get 3 more pic like you have and stack 2 n 2 would fill wall better. Love the black and whites.
  • 11 years ago
    Not a fan of accent walls. It's easier to paint dark color over than to paint whole room dark. Put primer first in white so easier to paint over dark. You will be happier. Trust me. It's a easy fast fix.
  • 11 years ago
    I saw pic of table why are you running it that way? I would center and run length of room. Table looks narrow how big is it?
  • 11 years ago
    Are you getting 6 chairs?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Prigalv, it's a lovely room! If you are looking for some modern art, in colors or B&W, you can check out our page. Our images can be printed in any size, on paper, canvas, acrylic or metal. Enjoy!... Raisa
  • 11 years ago
    Have you thought of wall paper for dark wall instead of paint some very interesting metallic ones that are very cool. See dining room in idea book. There is great dining room with black and silver wallpaper. That I'm dying to use somewhere.
  • 11 years ago
    After looking at gray chair the back looks low. Have you sat in any of these.? Comfort should be important. Might want a higher back and padded.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I also think that the room should not be as dark as you have it there. I love the set up of your home and there are so many possabilities, but first start off with a lighter color for the walls. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Get your full lighting plan going in the room and then you can decide if it's too dark. I suspect it will be fine. Lamps atop a buffet or console will add nice touches of light.