Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyshco

Best neutral wall color when selling a house?

lyshco
9 years ago
What is the single best paint color for interior walls that will appeal to the biggest number of potential buyers? Please tell the brand and name of the paint as well as the sheen. Many thanks in advance!

Comments (29)

• decoratinglady5
    9 years ago
    I am too in the process of selling my home..and posted a similar question.I am leaning towards Manchester Tan.Have you ever used this one?
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'm not selling my house, but am soon to repaint and my search for a perfect neutral led me to Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige. Here is what it looks like in a Houzz photo. I'm going with one sheen above flat but low sheen (not sure what SW calls it, but like eggshell).
    [houzz=
    Buckhead Colonial Farmhouse · More Info
    ]
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    What color are your floors? This will affect which neutral you use for the walls
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    Accessible Beige is a terrific color, so is Linen White as seen on this inspiration pic. It is a warm neutral
    Linen White 912 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Amagansett Beach Retreat · More Info

Here is an Ideabook on Warm Neutral paints
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/warm-up-your-rooms-with-a-beautiful-off-white-paint-stsetivw-vs~785972
  • lyshco
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I haven't tried that one. My designer friend suggested Kilim Beige. What did the majority of people say you should choose?
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    There really isn't "one" perfect color, but those mentioned are great options! I prefer the slight sheen as well, one up from flat.
    It depends on your home's lighting, as every color will show a little different in different light.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    You can even go with Shaker Beige (BM)
    Seeley Living Room B · More Info

Shaker Beige HC-45 by Benjamin Moore · More Info

Or even go with a neutral gray
    For example, Analytical Gray 7051 by Sherwin Williams
    Tailored Sophistication · More Info

Here is another Ideabook on choosing (neutral) grays. Click on the Ideabook name to see the whole thing
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/choosing-paint-how-to-pick-the-right-gray-stsetivw-vs~454963
    lyshco thanked Denita
  • decoratinglady5
    9 years ago
    The lady at my paint store did mention Shaker Beige..she said it does not change in different lighting.This is not my post but I am in the process of selling my home too.
  • Denita
    9 years ago
    Really all paints change their appearance in different types of lighting. That is why you want to narrow down your choices first in either the Benjamin Moore visualizer or the Sherwin Williams visualizer (both online) and bring home samples to paint on a board to see how the specific color looks in your room different times of the day. There will be a color that enhances your floors and trim work and cabinetry. That's the color you want to use.
    If you have gray floors you are more likely to find a neutral gray wall works well rather than a beige.
    lyshco thanked Denita
  • lyshco
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's another issue: all my trim and doors are more of an off-white instead of white. Will any of the above mentioned colors work with off-white trim?
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Then grab some paint chips based on the recommendations here and see which gives the freshest look with your trim.
    lyshco thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • lyshco
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    So eggshell is good for bedroom, LR, DR, and something glossier for bathrooms? Can I do a scrubbable eggshell for baths?
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    There are kitchen/bath paints especially for kitchen and bathrooms - they are mildew resistant etc. Ask the paint store...
    lyshco thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • tgb1
    9 years ago
    I used Benjamin Moore's natural cream on my entire main level and woodwork is Benjamin Moore's Swiss coffee. Lovely together.
  • Ann
    9 years ago
    Usually semi gloss for bathrooms.
  • njschaefer78
    9 years ago
    Another creamy tan that will look great with off-white trim is SW Macadamia. I have heard SW employees mention Shaker Beige and Kilim Beige as very popular colors as well. Good luck!
  • Melissa E
    9 years ago
    I would use a matte finish on all your walls. I don't think kitchens and bathrooms need to be semi gloss anymore, paint is much more durable and washable than it used to be.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    9 years ago
    I'm a realtor. My new fav neutral is BM Collingwood. Goes with beige and grey. Also love White Sand and Clay Beige. All BM. Eggshell is great for most rooms, but I love matte for formal rooms. All are so washable these days, you don't need to use semi gloss.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I like Porter Paint Velvet White in egg shell.
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    Bathrooms and kitchens look better if they're not semi gloss.
  • gertie163
    9 years ago
    My home is painted in Macadamia Nut it has a green tone, but can look beige in different times of day., ea. Room is same color, I love it and it just looks and feels neutral with color other than a white
  • Caroline Corzine
    9 years ago
    We just repainted the majority of our home BM Revere Pewter and looooove it! It's a very warm color that depending on decor and room lighting takes on different tones. Couldn't be happier :)
  • laurakdesigns
    9 years ago
    All of the colors will work with your off-white trim. You'll get a nice look!
  • Nichole Rushing
    8 years ago

We just sold our house and it sold in one day. We used a light yellow for all the living areas and an olive green for the bedrooms. The olive green was also an extremely light shade. Just keep in mind the size of the room and stay on the lighter shades of what ever color you want, and earth tones are extremely safe. With this being said we just bought another house that sat on the market way to long due to multiple things but if I had to guess the number one issue was the purple walls. It was a lighter shade of purple but it was an off put. I almost guarantee this house would have sold so much faster if it were for just a little cleaning and stay away from purple and pinks. Most people looking for a house are family and lets face facts would your husband want to live in the plum, purple, or pink shades.....

• ladybanksrose
    7 years ago

I attended a decorating class recently. The interior decorator said a really great color is BM Pashmia. She used it in her house. It is a beige without warm or cool undertones. Said it changed color as the light hits it and several clients had selected this color.

• Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    I'm painting my new house Fresh Popcorn (Behr ultra) living and bedrooms in matte, kitchen, laundry, halls and bathrooms in eggshell and trim in semigloss, all the same colour. Want to paint it all before we move in,might choose other colours later when we get our rugs etc.
  • dgolant
    7 years ago

I am a realtor and often advise sellers on updating with color: Benjamin Moore's natural linen, white dove, revere pewter. Sherwin Williams' kilim biege, shaker beige, nantucket dune. Malabar is another great choice.

Check your finishes and the kind of light your room gets. The undertones of a neutral are important and can affect the way the color actually looks on the walls. You can have pink undertones, yellow, green...

I agree that matte finish is the best look for formal areas; eggshell in others. Least favorite is glossy walls unless you are doing a "lacquered" look - done well can look fabulous.

• John Kerry Lynn Elieff
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It depends on what direction the room is facing as well. I really like SW Accessible Beige but if your room is facing North or not a lot of natural light, you might get a bit of a muddy look. The LRV on it is 58. But if you go a with SW Maison Blanche it has the same color combo and the LRV is 66 which will help in a darker room or North facing room to remain true to color and is a truer tan without different tones, red or yellow. I am about to do a living room hallway in this color and I will try to upload an after picture to show you finished project.