Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gennym_gw

What breed of dog would be best with Ducks?

18 years ago

Hey...I was wondering if any one can help with this question. What kinds of dogs are good and trusworthy around ducks??? Like what kind will watch them...or not even guard them ...just get along with them well....

What about a shetland sheepdog....are they ok with ducks...or an australian cattle dog...I like those kinds a lot...are they good with ducks....

If any body knows anymore that are good with them besieds the ones I named please let me know.. thankyou....

Comments (29)

• 18 years ago

Any dog can be trained to leave ducks alone,but a herding breed might train a bit more easily. Shelties are often trained to herd starting with ducks before progressing to sheep.

I happen to have 3 shelties and not a one of them has ever shown interest in having anything to do with ducks, although, I do think my youngest one might if given the chance.

• 18 years ago

JeanneJ, thanks for answering..Reason I was wondering is....we have a great dane and a bloodhound that we got both at about 5-6 weeks old and since the very first day we got them they've been shown to the ducks...and have been taught to leave them alone. But, the puppies are still young...9 months old...they still like to have fun and play....and when our ducks run or flap their wings , especially the great dane likes to run at them and try to chaase them and play with them. I'm thinking this is all a puppy thing and she will calm down when she's a year or two old. I hope so. But, the good thing is they have known them since they were 5 wks old..plus, the ducks were here first....so that might help. I have to keep them separated from each other..just to be safe. Anyway, my real question I asked before was because I wanted to know what breed of dog would best get along with the ducks....A medium sized dog...not a huge one....because my little brother will probably be getting a new pup before too long...probably a little while after Christmas and I'm just checking into things and seeing what would be best for my ducks. Thanks....

• 18 years ago

Great Pyranees...beautiful, faithful and the best at taking care of your livestock. I've seen them watch over cows, deer, goats, geese and ducks. Around here many farmers have them to help ward off the coyotes.
    Julie

• 18 years ago

I agree with you. We had a Great Pyrenees that lived for 12 years. He was a beautiful dog. They are perfect animals. Ours was named "Mufassa" and he passed away last year. I just can't get another one because there won't ever be one just like him. What about Newfoundlands...I know they are big dogs but they kinda remind me of the Pyrenees....I would think a collie and a sheltie would be the very best with ducks..... But, I don't know...
    If anybody else wants to add anything I'd appreciate it.

• 18 years ago

Whatever breed you finally decide on, make sure you do your homework and research it well to make sure it will fit in with your family. Even if you have to wait a while to get just what you want, make sure the dog is bred for a good even temperment and as close to the standard as possible and free from herditary diseases as possible. Once you have the puppy, make sure it is socialized and take it to training classes. It sounds like a lot of work for "just a dog", but the end result will be worth it when you have a happy, healthy, obedient family member.

• 18 years ago

I have a Great Pyrenees in training (9 months) and a sheltie (10 yrs). Both are very good with the animals. The sheltie came to us as an abused 2 year old and fit right into the farm life-no chasing whatsoever (ducks, geese, chickens, horses, ferrets, goats). She will go after the geese when they hiss at me though. The Pyr is doing excellent with the goats, and is learning by reprimand that the ducks & geese are "mine" and she must not chase them. It is a puppy phase & she will grow out of it. Pyrs have very low prey drives. I also had a doberman as a child who didn't bother the animals.

Consistent training will break any bad habits. I'd recommend a Pyr if you were looking for a large dog(80-120#). I understand that with a Pyr you shouldn't trust them alone with the animals till they are mature, 12-15 months old. A Sheltie may be a better choice since you are looking for a medium sized dog. Easy to train, eager to please.

• 18 years ago

You might also want to take into consideration the animals propensity to wander unless the area you will be keeping them in is fenced. Some dogs are more inclined to stay home than others.

By the way, if you get a dog of the herding breed, like a blue heeler, you might also want to check the prey drive of their dam and sire. For some of those dogs it is r-e-a-l-l-y hard not to herd those ducks or anything that moves for that matter. Herding is what they were bred to do. You might teach them not to "chase," but why go through the agony? Just find one that doesn't have a high prey drive.

• 18 years ago

thanks for the info.! I'll be sure to check into any kind of breed of dog before we even think about getting it. Also, what's your opinion on great danes and blood hounds.???? Do you think they have the instincts to chase animals......

• 18 years ago

Any dog will have some prey drive--instinct to chase other animals. The difference is in what they have been bred to do. Your Great Dane was bred to be a working dog--so actually the prey drive should be lower in him than in your Bloodhound which is a hunting dog (bred to find and follow prey). Both breeds should be eager to please their people and fairly easy to train.

As has been said, training can make a world of difference.

• 18 years ago

Saw this on another forum. Thought I would send it on if you wanted to check it out.

REGRETFULLY we MUST find NANA a home ASAP due to loss of job and having to relocate. We have until No. 11 to find her a GREAT home. Nana was dumped in our yard 4 years ago. We had her spayed at that time, and has since been a wonderful addition to our family. She is great with kids, does not roam, and is not aggressive towards other dogs, or people - though she is a great guard dog (although she isnt aggressive, she does have a pretty loud bark/howl when strangers come in the yard.) She loves to swim, play fetch, and get lots of loving. She isnt the most pretty of dogs - she has some pretty baggy skin, lol - but she sure does have a great heart!! She needs to go to a place with lots of land, or a fenced in back yard. We will not let her be tied up. If you can give Nana a good forever home, please contact me ASAP. For her pic, please go to: http://exracers.com/nanna.jpg

Contact freebird@talkamerica.net

By the way, I think she is kind of cute.

• 18 years ago

Not...
    1. a Labrador Retriever
    2. any other breed of hunting dog
    They are just bred to kill birds. I don't think it can be trained out of them!

• 18 years ago

As much as I love my Jack Russel, he's not trustworthy around the ducks, or the chickens. He killed several ducklings this spring and got a chicken too. He's just got too much pray drive. Not even getting clouted on the head by the momma duck, or getting spurred by the rooster has really stopped him. He now is in "biding my time" mode.

He was testing out a drake (15 lb drake, 19 lb dog) this afternoon and I had to get on him to leave the drake alone. "Scovies" are pretty big ducks, I've had females get my RIR Rooster what for this summer too.

I am also looking for a sheltie, to help herd the birds in at night. I think a Border Collie would be bored spending time in the house. Although if Jar Jar would take to the other dog, he'd be less of a pest INSIDE the house.

I hear that German Shepards can make great farm dogs, if they are raised right. If you can find one that will stay sound for life.

I'll keep watching this thread.

• 18 years ago

Thanks. I am really wanting a sheltie. I think they will be good with ducks. My brother has decided he wants a small dog like a maltese mix or a shih tzu mix...something like a small breed. I'm thinking a small breed should be fine ( as long as we dont get a terrier) they do like to chase animals and stuff I've heard.

• 18 years ago

Hey, what about a maltipom. Its maltese and pomeranian mix. My grandmother has a pomeranian thats full blooded and she likes to bark at the ducks. She wouldn't ever hurt them meaning to but I won't leave her alone with them. I know maltese dogs are precious but what about poms....Since it is half pom. would it be hyper and fiesty? We also have 2 cockatiels in the house that it would have to get along with. We already have a poodle and a maltese mix who adore the birds, and we can trust them with them. Thanks alot!!

• 18 years ago

Well I have a Golden Lab and he is great with all the chickens and the ducks. He never chases them or even looks at them sideways. Labs are suppose to retreive not kill game birds. He never even tries to catch them or anything. Infact baby chicks or ducklings have been known to climb on him while he is asleep and he wont even move. Labs are wonderful family dogs. This is the second Lab we have had. Our first never looked sideways at the birds either. We also have a Rat Terrier and he would love to catch and kill any bird/mouse/squirrel/rat etc. Its his nature. So its a constant chore to watch him when he is out and about with the ducks. I wouldn't trust him alone with them at all but my lab I would anytime. Infact my chickens run loose and I have never had a problem with my Lab chasing or harrassing them ever.

• 18 years ago

Wow, that makes me fill a lot better Cindee about my Bloodhound that is 9 months old. Bloodhounds don't kill things either or retrieve animals they just track them...so she should be okay too shouldn't she?

• 18 years ago

Oscar Meyer.

• 18 years ago

Well, he decided on a maltipom. Maltese and pomeranian mix. Shes precious...we got her yesterday! We showed her to all the animals...everyone likes her and is getting along with her except our greatdane....she growls at her and barks at her. She acts like she would hurt her if I let "Angel" (our new puppy) down with her....I never thought "Gracie" (our greatdane) would act this way ....our bloodhound is very friendly towards angel....so..I'll try to get her to accept her as part of the family...I hope she will :)

• 18 years ago

It just takes time for dogs to learn and accept their positions in a "pack"--. Right now, your dane is letting the new one know who is top dog around there. Watch them closely, don't give them a chance to get into it, introduce them slowly--perhaps putting a gate between their individual areas or crating them next to each other. Give the dane a place that is her own territory if possible and teach the new pup to respect that area. When treating, feeding, greeting the pack, always make sure the dane is first. Don't give up too quickly as it can take some time for the dogs to work out their living arrangements. :))

• 18 years ago

I've been showing "angel" to "Gracie" and she still acts like she wants to bite her--they don't eat together so I can't do the (feed Gracie first thing) but I am afraid to let Angel down with her also because of the way she acts towards her...I think it will take a lot of time to get her to accept her--Gracie seems really aggressive--are Danes normally this aggressive--Gracie is only 10 months old!

• 18 years ago

I own a Chocolate Lab that I use for duck hunting. I also own ducks and chickens. The Lab goes in the duck pen and the chicken pen and I've never had a problem with her harming the birds she pays no attention to them. I also have a Curr dog I also use in hunting and two mutts that just hang around they don't pay the birds any attention either, even when the birds are free rangeing. Stay away from aggressive type dogs.

• 18 years ago

I;m wondering...are Great Danes aggressive dogs?? I know they are kinda like "guard dogs" but I also thought that they were really sweet and laid back.,...am I right or wrong??

• 18 years ago

Just did a quick look-see into the history and temperment of Danes---if you read thru the link, you should get a good idea of what a well-bred Great Dane should be.

Here is a link that might be useful: summary of the Dane

• 18 years ago

Thanks for that website....it was useful....It's a good one to read about other kinds of breeds of dogs too :)

• 18 years ago

Just wanted to say Thanks to all for your replies this has helped reading everyones own expierences and it makes me feel better about Anna (my bloodhound) around the ducks. At first I thought she didn't have a chance at getting along with them but now I know she does! If anyone wants to add anything I appreciate and enjoy all the stories! Genny*

• 18 years ago

This past weekend I saw a picture online of an Australian Kelpie herding Khaki Campbell ducks. I didn't bookmark it and of course I can't find it now. But I swear-I don't swear-that it was there. :-) Our hybrid mix-she's mostly Kelpie-helps me put the ducks in their palace each night. The chickens go in on their own, but the ducks have to be "guided" in. She's never hurt them, has only watched us work with them and she does a great job. Not only is she good at herding ducks, but she has a heart full of love and the sweetest eyes ever!
    We LOVE her!

• 18 years ago

If not mistaken, I believe Welsh Corgis were/are used for herding ducks and geese. Guess you have to decide if you WANT them herded. Small. Sweet. Bright. Strong-willed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rural Life 2.0

• 18 years ago

yeah, I don't mind if something wants to herd the ducks around some--I just don't want something to chase them or scare them by barking and trying to play with them. I think corgis are cute short legged little dogs, kinda remind me of bassets.

• 18 years ago

I have had a lot of fun reading ths post everyone has been so helpful, Thanks! I wanted to say that our new puppy is so sweet and we really enjoy her. She is adjusting so well...the only thing is our greatdane won't accept her yet and we try everyday. I'll have to work on it some more, but we love our new puppy that we named Angel! Thanks for everybody's advice, I loved the great dog stories...