Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brighteyes_gw

Can you use ceramic molds?

19 years ago

Hi, I am new to this but have done ok with freeform planters. I have an opportunity to get some free ceramic molds. Does anyone know if these can be used?

Thanks

Comments (15)

• 19 years ago

Thank you, I was wondering what the molds were made of exactly.

I never thought about doing it in 2 pieces and then using morter to put them together, i was going to put the concrete in the detailed part and then put it together and use a dowel to pack more in but your idea will probly work better....

as for ruining them for ceremics, i have no investment in them so im sot to worried about that. i am looking forward to seeing how they come out, was going to shellac them last night but had horrible storms come through.

I will post pics as soon as i get them done.

Thanks for the advice

carey

• 19 years ago

ok i did it. ruined a few right off the bat but did get one that worked really good with just a sand and concrete mix. i made the mistake of using spray shellac at first. couldnt get it thick enough to work.

i have now shellaced a few with the brush on stuff and am trying them out. will unmold tomorrow.

also did my first leaf casting and even though i put the kittens in the house the kids let them out. so the backs now have pretty little paw prints all over them....lol ill keep them for character.

once they are unmolded and i borrow a camera i will post pics,

thanks for the help couldnt of even got started without it

carey

• 14 years ago

I know this thread is 5 years old, but does anyone have new news to report? I too have ceramics molds I am considering using with concrete.

• 13 years ago

It worked good with the thicker molds with less detail using a portland/sand mix. the more decorative molds (plates/hangers) were not as durable.....the trick is to use ALOT of shellac.... What kind of molds are you wanting to try?

btw the molds only lasted through a couple of uses

carey

• 13 years ago

Hi ~

Someone posted on another forum that she has about 5000 ceramic molds. She uses some for concrete casting. When she uses a mold for concrete, she smears Vaseline all over the inside of the mold and then uses a Portland cement/sand mix.

She does use her molds over and over again, but once she begins casting with cement, she never uses them to pour slip in again. She said she never buys new ceramic molds and usually finds used ones on Craigslist (a lot of times for free) or Ebay (local pick up only).

Thought this might help.

Eva

• 11 years ago

I'm very interested in using a bunch of Plaster of Paris molds, originally intended for ceramics for hypertufa garden statues, planters, stepping stones, plaques, etc.. At this point I'm a total novice, but I'm considering a mixture of Portland cement, sand and perlite. Does anyone have any good current info on the best approach for using ceramic (PoP) molds for hypertufa?
    Thanks,
    Bob

This post was edited by bob21801 on Sat, May 4, 13 at 23:08

• 3 years ago

Hey guys! I have many many many ceramic molds I'm trying to get rid of, if anyone wants them for this use ! I moved in and they were left here, and I can't use my barn until they are gone because the whole barn is full of them. No kidding. We have Facebook postings about it, if you would like to look at those!!!

• 3 years ago

Where are you located?

• 3 years ago

Middle Tennessee! About an hour away from Alabama

• 3 years ago

@Jj Northrup I sure wish I lived closer to Tennessee than south Georgia! I'd take them all off your hands! 😪😪😪

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

Degreaser

• 3 years ago

@happylittlepawprints, please contact me if still interested in ceramic molds. I am near St.George.

• 2 years ago

Im interested in molds in Indiana how can i contact you? Lori

• 2 years ago

I am on the Oregon Coast and have approx 5000 molds if anyone near me wants them. Free if you load and haul.