Your shopping cart is empty.

how to heat this greenhouse without electric

SmokyMist
November 4, 2012

Last February I lucked up on a great deal on a 16 x 24' greenhouse. It's a metal frame hoop house style. We used it all summer, loved it, produced alot of great tomatoes and kept all of our tropical plants in it. Well I hate the thought of not getting to use it during the winter months, but there is no way I can afford to heat this using electric heat. Is there a thread going on somewhere about alternative heat sources ?

Thanks !

Comments (3)
  • digdirt2

Linked several threads as well as the FAQs here on heating below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Heating a greenhouse discussions and FAQs

• SmokyMist

Thank you Dave !

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

smokymist:

I know this probably doesn't help you at all. But there is no cheap way to heat a greenhouse if you want warm temperatures at night. So my approach is to grow crops that are happy with warm days and cold nights. I heat only to low 30s and that only because I have citrus trees. Some of the cool season crops like greens and such would grow at even colder night temperatures.

My heating bill for the entire winter in a 1700 sq ft greenhouse is a few hundred dollars. It would be even less but we probably have the highest natural gas prices in all of Texas.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).